Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short-term aromatase inhibition: effects on glucose metabolism and serum leptin level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short-term aromatase inhibition: effects on glucose metabolism and serum leptin level

B Lapauw, Department of Endocrinology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium.

Objective: To assess and compare effects of short-term aromatase inhibition on glucose metabolism, lipid profile and adipocytokine levels in young and elderly men. Design and methods: Ten elderly and nine young healthy men were randomized to receive letrozole 2.5 mg daily or placebo for 28 days in a crossover design. Results: Both in young and elderly men, active treatment significantly increased serum testosterone (+128 and +99%, resp.) and decreased estradiol levels (-41 and -62%, resp.). Fasting glucose and insulin levels decreased in young men after active intervention (-7 and -37%, resp.) compared to placebo. Leptin levels fell markedly in both age groups (-24 and -25%, resp.), while adiponectin levels were not affected by the intervention. Lipid profile was slightly impaired in both groups, with increasing LDL-cholesterol levels (+14%) in the younger age group and 10% lower levels of ApoA1 in the elderly. A decline in IGF-1 levels (-15%) was observed in the younger age group. No changes in weight or BMI were observed in either young or old men. Conclusions: Short-term aromatase inhibition appears to affect glucose metabolism in young men, and lipid metabolism, including leptin secretion, in young and elderly men Furthermore, the short period of exposure suggests that these changes might be mediated by direct effects of sex steroids rather than by changes in body composition.

forget the glucose and serum levels. whats most interesting is the 128% increase in serum testosterone levels. holy hell, thats better then HRT! lol

Comment

Also the adverse cholesterol reaction, this doesn't occur with nolva which does however cause similar testosterone increase

Comment

I have also seen a study or two where AI's have increased IGF-1 in young men. I wouldn't worry about a slight decrease in leptin levels because leptin is primarily related to hunger signaling and not primarily glucose and fat metabolism. Pot lowers leptin levels into the basement, i.e. munchies. Also many popular anti-depressants lower leptin.

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
          I have also seen a study or two where AI's have increased IGF-1 in young men. I wouldn't worry about a slight decrease in leptin levels because leptin is primarily related to hunger signaling and not primarily glucose and fat metabolism. Pot lowers leptin levels into the basement, i.e. munchies. Also many popular anti-depressants lower leptin.
          i gotta tell ya, i have no appetite when running letro. no sex drive either, even on test.

one would think with high test levels and low estrogen, your sex drive would be high. i guess you need a little estrogen also?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
            i gotta tell ya, i have no appetite when running letro. no sex drive either, even on test.

one would think with high test levels and low estrogen, your sex drive would be high. i guess you need a little estrogen also?
            Nothing to do with leptin, but with to low estrogen levels, you need a certain amount of estrogen, for anabolism to be at it's peak, sex drive, proper blood lipids, healthy joints and bones. I like arimidex because it removes all bloat, keeps my bp down but still allows enough estrogen for proper function.

Comment

Nothing to do with leptin, but with to low estrogen levels, you need a certain amount of estrogen, for anabolism to be at it's peak, sex drive, proper blood lipids, healthy joints and bones. I like arimidex because it removes all bloat, keeps my bp down but still allows enough estrogen for proper function.
              lifts, can you go into a little more details about letro's effects on joints. my joints feel like they are falling apart on letro and i am still pretty young. just coming off letro now, how long until my joints are back to normal?

Comment

lifts, can you go into a little more details about letro's effects on joints. my joints feel like they are falling apart on letro and i am still pretty young. just coming off letro now, how long until my joints are back to normal?
                Your joints should be ok in a few weeks as well as libido when estrogen falls to low you get joint aches comparable to severe arthritis.

Comment

Your joints should be ok in a few weeks as well as libido when estrogen falls to low you get joint aches comparable to severe arthritis.
                  my left shoulder an and right knee have been killing me ever since i started letro. what is it exactly that cause the joint pain? is it like the same effect as winstrol? synoval (sp?) fluid etc?

Comment

my left shoulder an and right knee have been killing me ever since i started letro. what is it exactly that cause the joint pain? is it like the same effect as winstrol? synoval (sp?) fluid etc?
                    Winstrol messes up the cartilage making it thick and brittle, when estrogen levels fall to low you get more inflamation in the joints. your joints will recover much faster than from winstrol.

Comment

Winstrol messes up the cartilage making it thick and brittle, when estrogen levels fall to low you get more inflamation in the joints. your joints will recover much faster than from winstrol.
                      cool, do the joints recover from winstrol also or is the damage perminiant? i was running winstrol also. lmao

Comment

cool, do the joints recover from winstrol also or is the damage perminiant? i was running winstrol also. lmao
                        It depends, tendons may tear on winstrol, but normally they recover. Running deca with winny should help prevent as much harm. This is just an assumption on my part.

Comment

I been natty since mid Oct and have no joint pain at all vs constant elbow and knee pain while on

Comment

Working...
                          X