Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Out

Hey everyone.

I'm 5'8", 165lbs, and relatively new to fitness.

I've been working out semi-seriously for almost two years and have lost a good deal of weight. I'm to a point now where I've just got to drop those last few pounds and some genuine definition should be coming through.

I'm training for my first Marathon this December, but I've hit a plateau with my weight loss. I'm trying to get more serious about dieting and weight training in an effort to lose that last 5-10 lbs of fat and show some definition. I'm not looking to get huge, but bigger and certainly more cut.

I have not put myself on much of a schedule yet. Below is my typical routine.

I usually eat four times a day. Typically:
    #1 - small bowl raisin bran + skim milk
    #2 - medium apple or banana
    #3 - grilled chicken or salmon salad, vinegrette dressing, flat bread
    - or - chicken or fish kebab, flat bread, humus
    #4 - grilled chicken, salmon, snapper w/ veggies. usually asparagus or brussels sprouts.

I do not take any supplements.

I run three to four days a week:
    Tuesday 4 miles
    Thursday 4 miles
    Saturday 10-20 miles

I typically weight train two to three days a week.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by escapist; 11-09-04, 06:49 PM.

Looking at your first two meals, you're getting too many simple carbs (cereal, fruits, and skim milk all have a lot of carbs which you don't want if you're trying to lower bodyfat). You need more protein to retain your muscle and the carbs should be complex like from slow burning carbs like oatmeal and other whole grains which burn more slowly and evenly, keeping your blood sugar levels more even through the day. Similarly for meal #3, change over the flat bread to brown rice.

Try this:

#1 1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal made with water (flavor with splenda and cinnamon)
    3 eggwhites plus one whole egg, scrambled in a non stick skillet with some pam.

or

Protein Pancakes (go to the recipe section of this forum for some ideas on how to make them.

#2 Nuts (ie. 10 almonds...good source of protein and natural fats which your body needs in order to lose fat)

#3 What you're eating already sounds good but substitute brown rice or sweet potato for the flat bread

#4 Same as you're already doing.

#5 A snack of lightly salted rice cake with a tbs. peanutbutter later in the evening.

You should at least be taking a multi vitamin and a calcium/magnesium supplement. Hope this helps some!

Comment

Puddles (or somebody else with info),

I think you mean to add nuts to meal 2, right. It think you should have some carbs. Apple is definitely lower GI than a banana, so either a pear or an apple would be good carbs.

Also, I think rice cakes are relatively high GI. I know that some bodybuilders use them as post-workout simple carbs. They are usually made with highly processed rice. I would think something that would provide slow-absorbing protein for the night would be good. Perhaps, cottage cheese or a casein-based protein shake.

Comment

For #2 I'd still avoid fruit at this point since she's trying to cut.

As for the rice cakes, the sweet ones are higher in carbs but one lightly salted rice cake (Quaker brand) has 7 g carbs and 1 g protein, not bad. I should clarify that the peanutbutter should be natural, not loaded with sugar, salt and other oils. I've found this to be a good snack for the evening as it kinda sticks to my ribs and I'm not hungry as I'm trying to fall asleep. Cottage cheese and protein shakes are also good but they just don't fill me as well.

Another thing that shouldn't be overlooked is drinking enough water. A gallon a day at least, more if you can. Your body will burn the fat much more effeciently if it's hydrated.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I've adjusted my meal plan accordingly. I'm at the end of a training period for the Honolulu Marathon in December. Once that passes, I'll be anxious to get serious about weight training again and these tips are exactly what I need. Thanks again.

Comment

Ok. I've written out a new meal plan for myself that I think I can stick to:

#1 (8am): 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, splenda, cinnamon + 2 egg whites scrambled with Pam
            #2 (10am): nuts (10 almonds)
            #3 (1pm): grilled chicken or salmon salad, vinegrette dressing
            . or: chicken kebab, brown rice, salad, humus
            . or: tuna salad sandwich, celery, whole wheat bread
            #4 (5pm): protein smoothie at gym
            . or: 10-12 almonds
            #5 (7pm): grilled chicken, salmon, snapper w/ asparagus or brussels sprouts
            #6 (9pm): lightly salted rice cake w/ tbs. natural peanutbutter

EVERY DAY:
            - gallon of water
            - multi vitamin
            - calcium/magnesium supplement

I hope this seems a bit better.

I also wondered how much of a no-no pretzels are. I know they're probably high in simple carbs and sodium, but I'd have trouble avoiding them entirely. Pretzels and humus have both been pretty steadfast staples of my diet.

And is the strawberry/banana smoothie w/ 40g Whey protein I get at the acceptable? It tastes too damn good to be good for me.

Thanks

Comment

Looks good.

The shake should be fine post workout. Just ask if the berries are natural or if they have added sugar. Also, find out what the shake is mixed with. My gym offers some kind of ice cream liquid (way high in sugar), skim milk, and water. I'd stick to water for now for your purposes.

It's a good idea to take one day a week and have a cheat meal or two (helps confuse your metabolism a bit and it allows you to satisfy your cravings), so do your pretzels and humus on that day. :)
              Last edited by Puddles; 11-17-04, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Turns out the shake is made with fresh fruit, ice, and Bally BFIT RX protein shake mix. I just assumed they were adding 40g of Whey protein, not 79g of shake mix. Not exactly sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but IU was glad to know they weren't using ice cream, frozen yogurt, or milk as a base.

Anyone know anything about this protein shake mix vs. pure whey protein?

Comment

Working...
                X