Some Newb Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Newb Questions...

Hi, I'm new to this stuff and I got some questions...

1. Proper Breathing? Is there a wrong way and right way to breathe when doing muscle building exercises?

2. I remember reading something about this a long time ago, but I can't find any info now. Like for example, when you are doing a pushup, are you supposed to breathe in when you are pushing up, then breathe out when you go down, or is it the other way around, or does it not matter? And what is the reason for doing it that way?

3. What about for situps? or bicep lifting reps? squats?

4. Is breathing different for aerobic exercises? What are you supposed to do?

5. How long after a workout are you supposed to take a post workout shake? Immediately after? Or a couple minutes after while you're relaxing?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by DragonGT; 07-11-05, 09:41 PM.

Originally posted by DragonGT
    Hi, I'm new to this stuff and I got some questions...

1. Proper Breathing? Is there a wrong way and right way to breathe when doing muscle building exercises?

2. I remember reading something about this a long time ago, but I can't find any info now. Like for example, when you are doing a pushup, are you supposed to breathe in when you are pushing up, then breathe out when you go down, or is it the other way around, or does it not matter? And what is the reason for doing it that way?

3. What about for situps? or bicep lifting reps? squats?

4. Is breathing different for aerobic exercises? What are you supposed to do?

5. How long after a workout are you supposed to take a post workout shake? Immediately after? Or a couple minutes after while you're relaxing?

Thanks in advance

1. Yes there is a proper way. Breathe out during contraction.

2. yes that is right. Breathing in before contraction fills the blood with oxygen.

3. all the same as any other.

4. Just breathe. Depending on wheather you are going for cardiovascular or fat burning. This depends on your heart rate.

5. Usually want a postworkout shake 10-20mins post workout. Waiting to 30mins is alright though. Then a full meal within another hour.

Comment

I used to get confused too but just remember to breathe out while you're exerting the most force during an exercise and you'll be doing it right. Do not hold your breath ever.

As for cardio, just try to take full deep breaths, no shallow breathing.

And, welcome, DragonGT! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Puddles
        Do not hold your breath ever.
        :doh: Is that what I have been doin' wrong? :P

Comment

Originally posted by bad14u
          :doh: Is that what I have been doin' wrong? :P

Yup, especially when you're doing swimming for cardio, never ever hold your breath! ;)

BTW, this advice is only for bad14u, everyone else needs to hold their breath wile swimming.

:D

Comment

Yup, especially when you're doing swimming for cardio, never ever hold your breath! ;)

BTW, this advice is only for bad14u, everyone else needs to hold their breath wile swimming.

:D
            :rofl: I do breathe when under water.....I use a snorkel! :staypuff:

Comment

I heard that when squatting, the breathing is opposite than usual and that you want to breathe out during the decent and breathe in on the lift. I don't remember what the logic behind it was though.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                I heard that when squatting, the breathing is opposite than usual and that you want to breathe out during the decent and breathe in on the lift. I don't remember what the logic behind it was though.

I don't know what the logic would be either unless your workout was concentratd with a light wight going down and not focused on the quad contraction going up.

Comment

just remember the E's Exertion=Exhaling

Comment

Ahh, I get it now, thanks guys :)

Oh, and if you don't mind, I want to squeeze in a couple last questions about different kinds of protein.

1. I noticed the other day that my bro has this soy protein powder mix with chocolate flavoring. Is that any good? It looks like it might be cheap stuff lol. I noticed most people on here either suggest whey protein or casein. Are those last two the same things we're talking about (powder drink mixes), or is it something else?

2. I'm not sure if this is right, is Casein is supposed to be longer duration (in terms of raising amino acid levels) then whey? Where does soy protein fit in, if it's any good?

Sorry if I ask too many questions lol I like to learn things to the last details :woot:

Comment

Here's a good article on soy protein...it's long but a good read with a lot of info about the pro's and con's of soy protein.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/he...fits-use-1.htm

Make sure you go to the second page of this article.

Comment

Ahh, I get it now, thanks guys :)

Oh, and if you don't mind, I want to squeeze in a couple last questions about different kinds of protein.

1. I noticed the other day that my bro has this soy protein powder mix with chocolate flavoring. Is that any good? It looks like it might be cheap stuff lol. I noticed most people on here either suggest whey protein or casein. Are those last two the same things we're talking about (powder drink mixes), or is it something else?

2. I'm not sure if this is right, is Casein is supposed to be longer duration (in terms of raising amino acid levels) then whey? Where does soy protein fit in, if it's any good?

Sorry if I ask too many questions lol I like to learn things to the last details :woot:
                        Soy isnt the best in terms of gaining muscle. You want to stick with whey and Casein. Whey is fast absorbing and Casein is much slower absorbing. They are both good at certain times of the day. Right after your workout you want to take a whey protein so you can get your body the protein it needs asap. But like right before bed when you want the protein to absorb slower over night you want to stick with a casein product.

Comment

Whey protein is absorbed faster than casin so whey is best used right after training. Casein protein will help ensure a more evenly release of amino acids so using it at other times through the day can be beneficial.

If I had to chose one or the other, I would just chose whey and only supplement after training. Most of your protein can simply be had by eating whole foods.

Comment

I'm not looking to become a bodybuilder though. I just want to put on some extra muscle for health reasons, to help get my metabolism up, I think I have low metabolism because I've always found it hard to lose any weight (fat). So, is soy protein okay to use in my case? Or should I still get whey and casein?

And thanks for that link Puddles, page 2 was really interesting, thanks for pointing it out.

Whey protein is absorbed faster than casin so whey is best used right after training. Casein protein will help ensure a more evenly release of amino acids so using it at other times through the day can be beneficial.

If I had to chose one or the other, I would just chose whey and only supplement after training. Most of your protein can simply be had by eating whole foods.
                            Speaking of foods...I just remembered that I regularly eat something that has soy protein in it. You know those soy veggie burgers? I buy ones that have chicken flavoring in them. They're pretty good.

Comment

I'm not looking to become a bodybuilder though. I just want to put on some extra muscle for health reasons, to help get my metabolism up, I think I have low metabolism because I've always found it hard to lose any weight (fat). So, is soy protein okay to use in my case? Or should I still get whey and casein?

And thanks for that link Puddles, page 2 was really interesting, thanks for pointing it out.

Speaking of foods...I just remembered that I regularly eat something that has soy protein in it. You know those soy veggie burgers? I buy ones that have chicken flavoring in them. They're pretty good.

Nothing wrong with the soy protien. It's better than none, but it would be best to get some whey for post workout and casein for before bed. Also a little fact is that anyone who works on there body is a bodybuilder. Everyone goals are just different in how far they want to take the size aspect. But either way your muscles work the same and need the same food.

Comment

Working...
                              X