Leg myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg myth?

Is it true that if you do not work out your legs as regular as your upper body, your upper body wont develop as good?

yes... this is my favorite quote for this... 'you can't carry a cannon on a canoe'... why would you not work out your legs reguraly anyways... you look stupid with a big upper body and matchstick legs,,, your legs are half of your body.. not to mention working out legs helps the body release the most testosterone

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJo
      not to mention working out legs helps the body release the most testosterone
      As I understand, the big lifts like squats and deads help production of testosterone. However, I don't think leg extensions and calf raises do anything, so it wouldn't be 100% accurate to say working out legs releases test. But then squats should be a staple of any leg workout, imo anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
        As I understand, the big lifts like squats and deads help production of testosterone. However, I don't think leg extensions and calf raises do anything, so it wouldn't be 100% accurate to say working out legs releases test. But then squats should be a staple of any leg workout, imo anyway.
        thats what i meant, i guess i just automatically think squats should be incorporated in anyone's leg training regiman

Comment

heavy leg workouts make whole body grow.

Comment

Well, I have seen some guys with big upper bodies and no legs, but it looks like shit.

Comment

also, your body wants to grow in proportion. it wont encourage upper body growth if your legs arent doing anything. respectively, if you do start packing meat on your legs, you might find your upper body growing to compensate, in order to stay in proportion. furthermore, squating will simply make you a better physical specimen all over. it helps teach your body to work collectively and can potentially give you more 'torque' with other lifts- squat like its going out of style brother

Comment

I dont think that it would be totally correct to say that if you dont work out legs, your upper body will not develop as well. There are people, such as people in wheelchairs, that cannot work out legs but have very developed upper bodies. But if you are not handicape then you have no reason to not do legs. So i strongly encourage to work out legs. You always need a solid base.

Comment

new quote: "bodybuilders who don't train legs don't know SQUAT!" :D:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJo
                    yes... this is my favorite quote for this... 'you can't carry a cannon on a canoe'... why would you not work out your legs reguraly anyways... you look stupid with a big upper body and matchstick legs,,, your legs are half of your body.. not to mention working out legs helps the body release the most testosterone
                    Well said, I agree. :nerdnew:

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                      also, your body wants to grow in proportion. it wont encourage upper body growth if your legs arent doing anything. respectively, if you do start packing meat on your legs, you might find your upper body growing to compensate, in order to stay in proportion. furthermore, squating will simply make you a better physical specimen all over. it helps teach your body to work collectively and can potentially give you more 'torque' with other lifts- squat like its going out of style brother

Ive been doing legs once a week for 3 weeks now and they feel great and I am noticing a huge difference in size in my legs. I have been doing barbell squats, but some one told me at the gym that the leg press machine works just like squats, is this true?

Comment

thats pretty intresting, never heard that before

Comment

Originally posted by snowkid10
                          Ive been doing legs once a week for 3 weeks now and they feel great and I am noticing a huge difference in size in my legs. I have been doing barbell squats, but some one told me at the gym that the leg press machine works just like squats, is this true?

In short, no. There are alot of similarities in the movement, but body position is different, which creates a different feel.

Comment

Originally posted by snowkid10
                            To back up Shibby - it doesn't incorporate NEARLY as much overall muscle mass as free weight squats do. I'm not referring to just the muscles in the legs but in the entire body...

Comment

What about the difference between free sqauts and smith machine squats? I always get nervous when free squatting that I am going to lose my balance. Is there much difference between those 2 exercises?

Puma

Comment

Working...
                              X