Hit a wall wont make anymore gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit a wall wont make anymore gains

I have been working out for about a year now im 21 6'3" 195lbs when i started i was 170lbs and i was gaining muscle like nothing and goin up in weight at the gym every week. Now I stopped I dont kno if it is my diet because i always read eating is more important than working out, I just dont know what to eat. I work construction everyday except for sat and sun so i didnt kno if this affected my workout and diet. I cant eat every coupke hours like I should. Is there anyway towork around this i get a break every 3 hours and try to eat like crazy. I take in about 200g of protein a day and I dont kno how many carbs i should have or when i should have more protien or carbs during the day I work from 7:00 till 6:00 then go to them gym at 7:00 I provided as much info as possible any help or guidance would be appreciated, Also a side note my chest and triceps have made noticable size gains but my biceps dont look big. is it bcause of having long arms?

having long arms is definitely a part of it, but it's not likely that at 6'3, 195 at 21 years old you're close to your natural limit. Try changing your workout regimen a bit. If you've been doing the same split, same exercises per bodypart, and even the same weights all this time, your muscles probably need something new to shock them.

You could probably even try things like supersets, giant sets, drop sets, preexhausting...fun little workout intensifiers like that.

Also, 200 gms of protein a day at 195 may be a little too much -- that's only about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Try to get up around 1.4-1.6 gms/lb (about 300 gms protein a day) and see what happens

As for your biceps, what do you do for back exercises? Your chest and tris will grow if you do a lot of pressing for your chest, but if your biceps are small, maybe you aren't going very heavy on back day. You would also have a hard trouble gauging the progress of your back, since you don't really see it every day

Comment

Post your routine and diet.

Comment

This is my schedule

Mon.- Chest Triceps Shoulders
        Tues.-Lower Body
        Weds.-Back and Biceps
        Thurs.-Rest/Light Cardio
        Fri.-Chest Triceps Shoulders
        Sat.-Lower Body
        Sun. Rest And Light Cardio
        Then start all over. I am at the gym for about and hour to hour and a half, I always do different exercise both free-weights and machines to mix it up and for every exercise I do 10 reps with 3 sets every set I increase th weight at least 10 lbs. At the end of everday I usually do like a 10 min jog after each workout.

When i get up at 6:30 I try to have to bagels and a big bowl of a bran cereal and a big glass of O.J. it usually adds up to 20 grams of protein and like 50g of carbs.
        I eat again at 9:00 and I have a chicken or tuna sandwich like 3 servings worth, on wheat bread anda 40g protein shake. Then at 12:00 I eat again and have a another chicken sandwich and water or a protein shake then I eat at 5;00 and usually have a big dinner like bread steak and mashed patatoes or I have spagehtti, I thuink I burn up too many calories at work or I might no eat enough calories I dont no My goal was to be like 225 I started that end of summer but i cant gain, I would really like to break this.

Comment

it seems like you are working chest, legs, shoulders, and triceps each twice a week -- that might be overtraining. Try reworking your split so that you only hit each bodypart once per week. That way you will give them enough time to rest, and rest = growth

Comment

I agree with Mr. GY.

Can you post up a macro nutrient breakdown?

Comment

Originally posted by Konitz
              This is my schedule

Mon.- Chest Triceps Shoulders
              Tues.-Lower Body
              Weds.-Back and Biceps
              Thurs.-Rest/Light Cardio
              Fri.-Chest Triceps Shoulders
              Sat.-Lower Body
              Sun. Rest And Light Cardio
              Then start all over. I am at the gym for about and hour to hour and a half, I always do different exercise both free-weights and machines to mix it up and for every exercise I do 10 reps with 3 sets every set I increase th weight at least 10 lbs. At the end of everday I usually do like a 10 min jog after each workout.

When i get up at 6:30 I try to have to bagels and a big bowl of a bran cereal and a big glass of O.J. it usually adds up to 20 grams of protein and like 50g of carbs.
              I eat again at 9:00 and I have a chicken or tuna sandwich like 3 servings worth, on wheat bread anda 40g protein shake. Then at 12:00 I eat again and have a another chicken sandwich and water or a protein shake then I eat at 5;00 and usually have a big dinner like bread steak and mashed patatoes or I have spagehtti, I thuink I burn up too many calories at work or I might no eat enough calories I dont no My goal was to be like 225 I started that end of summer but i cant gain, I would really like to break this.
              You're not eating enough protein. You need to eat at least 6 times per day and eat at least 250 grams of protein per day. You're not eating any complete proteins at breakfast. Here's a generic diet that you can tweak however you need to.

whole wheat bagel 6 whole eggs
              8 oz steak or chicken 1 cup brown rice, 1/2 a can black beans
              protein shake 1 scoop of natural peanut butter
              Cheat meal
              8 oz steak or chicken, 1 cup brown rice, 1/2 a can black beans
              protein shake 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
              *Between meals snack on almonds(4 oz) mixed with peanuts(4oz), or cashews(4oz) mixed with peanuts(4oz), preferably un-salted.

Comment

Originally posted by Control
                You're not eating any complete proteins at breakfast.
                with breakfast, for a "complete" protein you could also add, aside from or in addition to the eggs, a whey shake, or some sort of lean meat, like ground turkey or beef

Comment

Hey that diet you gave me works out great after the third day i jumped right to 200lbs. and now when i am in the gym I get less fatigued and I can lift more weight. I also carry around peanut butter sandwiches on all wheat bread and a whey shake just in case i cannot have a meal. I also added to the diet some pasta for carbs, but hey thanks for the help it worked.

Comment

The only question i had was should I eat alot of carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Konitz
                      The only question i had was should I eat alot of carbs?

Stick to the diet I posted, if you stop gaining weight, you may need to add carbs. If you start getting fat you may need to cut carbs, or eliminate the cheat meal. This diet is so much better than what 98% of people eat that you really shouldn't need to make any changes for awhile.
                      Last edited by Control; 04-14-06, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X