Newbie chin-up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie chin-up question

Hey guys.... I just bought a chin up bar that goes in the doorway. I can do only 4-5 pull ups and I cant even do 1 chin up. How can I work my way up to doing chin ups? I was thinking maybe just hang from the bar in chin up position for a while? Any help would be sweet. Thanks

Do you go to a gym? Mine has 2 different machines that assist in all different variations of pullups. You can do cable pulldowns to work your way up. If you want to do it at home you could try getting a stool or a step ladder and helping yourself a little but I dont know how well that would work.

Comment

Start at the top and lower yourself down slowly. You'll have to find something you can use to push yourself back up to the top with your legs. Like a bench or box or chair...something safe to stand on.

Comment

I dont have a gym membership yet. Im trying to build a home gym. So far I have:

bench press set
        straight barbell
        curvy barbell
        lots of freeweights
        dumbell set
        chin up bar
        and thats it.

What else should I get? Im going to acadamy this weekend. I want a home gym that has variety and will fit all my bodybuilding needs :)

Comment

Originally posted by babyblues
          Start at the top and lower yourself down slowly. You'll have to find something you can use to push yourself back up to the top with your legs. Like a bench or box or chair...something safe to stand on.

I just tried that...I think it will work. Thanks guys :cool:

Comment

You might want to look into getting something that you can use to do squats. Do you have anything at home to do cardio?

Comment

I thought I could just use my straight barbell for squats? Also my buddy has a treadmill in his garage he would sell for cheap. I might pick that up.

Comment

you do but you need a way to have it up there to get under it. You may not be able to squat much now but soon you wont be able to just lift up the bar and set it on your shoulders, if thats what you do. Tou may be able to get something that attaches to a wall that sticks out to hold the bar but it would have to be strong as hell. Squats are perfect for a home gym though because you arent going to have all the other fancy machines to work your legs.

Comment

I might fab/weld something up. Do squats help your lower back? Ive had lower back problems since I was 18. Alot of it has to do with me being a tall skinny dude (6'1 158lbs). Sit ups? maybe? sorry for all the subject changes...I figure why not ask all my questions in one thread rather than make a bunch of other threads.
                  Last edited by dsmfreek; 05-05-06, 02:45 PM.

Comment

um, just keep doing them, try 4 sets of them each workout...for me, I just did them and did them until I could do a lot

Comment

What is the difference between a pullup and a chinup? I always thought they referred to the same thing. Is is the position of the palms - supinated vs. pronated?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf
                        What is the difference between a pullup and a chinup? I always thought they referred to the same thing. Is is the position of the palms - supinated vs. pronated?
                        For some one who uses such big words you don't know much do you. palms away from you is a pull up. i think you can figure the rest out.

Comment

Originally posted by swollpatroll
                          For some one who uses such big words you don't know much do you. palms away from you is a pull up. i think you can figure the rest out.
                          That was rude and uncalled for. It was a simple question and all I wanted was a simple answer. Moreover, pronate and supinate are not "big words" - they are very common in the fitness world.

What is it about the internet that causes people to indulge in such unprovoked boorishness?

Comment

Originally posted by swollpatroll

You need to start thinking more before you speak. There has been a few posts the last few days where you seem to just be spouting shit.

Comment

i just don't like people who get there workout programs from some mens fitnass mag. You seem to be one of those people. obviously you are upset by my choice of words sorry for that but the difference between a pullup and a chinup is very commonly known in the fitness world. Unless you do all your workouts on a ball. shibby we both know that this statement is b.s. PM me if you have anything to say to me. once again i am sorry for being rude but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                              X