A generic beginners carb-cycling diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A generic beginners carb-cycling diet

If your fat, and want to lose weight over time, you should make healthy choices in your diet and do lots of cardio. What are some healthy choices you can make? The first change you should make is dumping the sugar (except maybe after you lift weights). You should also seek to reduce consumption of fried foods. Those two changes will improve the average persons physique dramatically over time. Learn wich foods are high on the glycemic index and which ones are low, try to eat mostly low G.I. carbs. Eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water. That's basic nutrition advice for fat people.

Now, if you want to lose a bunch of fat in a hurry, there is a more radical way. I call it carb-cycling. I didn't invent it, I don't know who did. I've never read Dr, Atkins books so maybe it was him, but I think this is slightly different from what I've been told.

Basically, you cut out all carbs for up to 5 days. Then, you have a carb-up day. You shoud still have carbs after you lift weights though, even if it's a no-carb day. You can eat nuts if you get low on energy, but not more than a few ounces at a time, and not more than two or three times a day max. I'm on this diet now and what I do is eat carbs on Wed and Sat (which are also the days I lift). By having two carb-up days a week and only lifting on those days I feel like I have better workouts. Here's an example of what I might eat on a no-carb day:

-6 whole eggs with salsa
    -40-50 grams whey protein 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    -8 oz of turkey (deli meat) and 4 oz of cheese
    -8 oz steak or chicken 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter or some nuts
    -40-50 grams whey protein 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    - 8 oz fish (usually salmon) with a tablespoon of olive oil butter and a little garlic (there's also these frozen salmon patties that you can but that are good and pretty cheap)

That's when Control is being a good boy. Sometimes instead of the 8 oz of chicken or steak, it's hamburger patties with cheese and mayo on them. Sometimes it's fried pork chops (not breaded) instead of fish. But as long as you aren't eating carbs on the no-carb days you'll lose fat fast.

Now, one thing I have to make clear is that this type of diet is NOT healthy. It is a way to lose fat quickly to meet a short-term fat-loss goal. Don't lose a bunch of fat and think "Hey, I look great. I'm staying on this diet forever". For one, there's no fiber in this diet. Your body needs fiber and you should be eating it every day. The longest I would stay on this diet is probably three months, after that you should start slowly introducing low G.I. carbs back into you diet on a daily basis. If you come off this diet and go crazy eating krispy kreme donuts and washing them down with cherry coke you'll experience a wicked rebound effect and you'll be fatter than you started off. If you don't know what to eat on your carb-up days you can start with this: http://www.superiormuscle.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30038 minus the cheat meal.

Since you're not getting any fiber in this diet & fiber isn't supposed to count against your carb count, couldn't you supplement with fiber for the health of your digestive system?

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone
      Since you're not getting any fiber in this diet & fiber isn't supposed to count against your carb count, couldn't you supplement with fiber for the health of your digestive system?

You mean with metamucil or something similar? That's an interesting idea. I actually just found this on the metamucil website: http://www.metamucil.com/healthy_habits/yourdiet.shtml

You need 54 capsules to get your daily fiber though....

Comment

That is what I was meaning. Yes, that is a lot of pills. I'm guessing if you started out at the high end that your stool would be a brick. If one wanted to go that high, seems like it would make sense to gradually increase to the recommendation. Also, if you're not getting any fiber, then 1/2 of the RDA would be better than nothing.

Metamucil looks like a good choice. Another would be wheat germ...I believe one serving has 6 grams of protein, 2 grams of unsaturated fat, & 2 grams of fiber.

Comment

What amount of cardio would you suggest for this? How would you modify it for lifting 4 days a week?

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKILLER
            What amount of cardio would you suggest for this? How would you modify it for lifting 4 days a week?
            When I'm cutting I do cardio everyday except leg day and the day after leg day. I do 45 minutes-1hour low intensity. If you're lifting 4 days a week, you could either have 4 carb-up days which wouldn't be bad but you wouldn't lose fat as fast or; lift on your two carb-up days and then have two no-carb days where you still eat carbs PWO. I would always try to eat carbs on leg day.

Comment

Should I do the carb-cycle diet if im taking Lipo6? I'm trying to slim down so im going to start a cycle of lipo6 on monday along with some good cardio but I need a diet. Should I just use the carb-cycle or should i do something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbacool39
                Should I do the carb-cycle diet if im taking Lipo6? I'm trying to slim down so im going to start a cycle of lipo6 on monday along with some good cardio but I need a diet. Should I just use the carb-cycle or should i do something else?

Have you ever dieted before?

Comment

Only once for football but it was only for about 1 1/2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbacool39
                    Only once for football but it was only for about 1 1/2 months.

You're probably better off starting with a more traditional diet.

Comment

i toke your advice, i went from 229 about 3 weeks ago cut out all soda and drinks, im drinking about a galon and a half of water a day no other drink, chicken hamburger patties homemade 99.8 fat free stuff, no cheese, turkey, and protein after workouts only and i lost about 20lbs in 3 weeks, i know thats not health but i was tied up with some relationship stopped lifting so introducing everything at once back into my life lifting 5 days a week 3 really good lift days, 2 adequate days, and cardio 3 days a week, cut out all fast food, drinks, sugars. when i do go out and drink its grey goose and a half a lemon squeezed in it on ice nothing else. lovin it. hit a little plateu but changing my cardio to mornings seperate from my lifts hoping that helps

Comment

Working...
                      X