Back test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back test

If you can't get your back to grow, the first thing you need to detirmine is how strong your back is. You will not see a big, weak, back. You can have big, weak arms; you can have a big, weak chest; but you can't build a big back without some decent strength foundation. Do this:

After warm-ups, perform a set of cable rows using perfect form. You should be pulling the weight all the way into your gut without jerking the weight or leaning back. Pause for a second and control the weight during the negative portion of the rep. Slow, controlled, reps. You should be able to do your bodyweight 8 times using perfect form. If you can't, you need to work on your strength.

If you failed the back strength test, do nothing for back but cable-rows for 3 months. Don't do anything for Bi's or rear delts either. Concentrate on cable-rows and challenge yourself to get a little bit stronger each week until you reach your goal (bodyweightx8 with perfect form). Do drop sets, rest-pause sets, forced negatives, high-rep sets, low-rep sets, everything. Stick with 5-8 sets. In 3 months you should be able to do your bodyweight 8 times and your back will already be getting bigger (probably your bi's too). At that point you can start doing rack-pulls, pull-ups/downs, barbell rows, curls etc.

Interesting, why 8 reps with bodyweight and why cables?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible

Interesting indeed. I'll have to try at gym with client.

Comment

thanks. i think i need to do this. I guess i am cheating myself when i lean back on cable rows... this might help with the pain i have been dealing with. I've always tried to fix my back strength in various ways but i haven't had much luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
          In theory it could just as easily be pull-ups. I just prefer rows to pull-ups because you can get a better peak contraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Control View Post
            In theory it could just as easily be pull-ups. I just prefer rows to pull-ups because you can get a better peak contraction.
            intresting! I can do 8 pull ups no problem but I cant do 8 reps of seated cable rows with 245lbs.

Comment

Hey Control, I failed your back test today by 5 lbs because my right brachia is injured (it's a small muscle nest to the bicep) and just won't do it,:dunno: even with the brace. I am however able to do 8 pullups with both wide and narrow grips both reverse and forward grip and I can do a bent over row (different hand position) at 285 Lbs I weigh 219 lbs today. I also dead lifted 385 and 395 for reps after a long warm up. What do you think since I can't do the rows does the rest make up for it?

Comment

i was able to do 11 reps using my own body weight. i don't really consider myself to be very strong or even care about strength really. i guess my back is pretty strong though.

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
                  Hey Control, I failed your back test today by 5 lbs because my right brachia is injured (it's a small muscle nest to the bicep) and just won't do it,:dunno: even with the brace. I am however able to do 8 pullups with both wide and narrow grips both reverse and forward grip and I can do a bent over row (different hand position) at 285 Lbs I weigh 219 lbs today. I also dead lifted 385 and 395 for reps after a long warm up. What do you think since I can't do the rows does the rest make up for it?
                  Sounds like you've got some decent back strength (assuming your lifts are with good form), but you really need to let that injury heal. Don't let a little injury become a chronic problem.

Comment

I absolutely kno I can't row 235lbs 8 times, But I finally realized I am not strong 12-20 reps is wat makes me grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Konitz View Post
                      I absolutely kno I can't row 235lbs 8 times, But I finally realized I am not strong 12-20 reps is wat makes me grow.
                      where did that come from bro? this old ass thread. :P

Comment

Working...
                      X