Home Gym Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Gym Requirements

For those of us who do not have access to a commercial gym, what are the basic equipment requirements to get serious about BB? I have been contemplating buying a Titan or Hoist PTS. Any suggestions? I think a forum section that discussed equipment would be helpful. Maybe it could even list discounted sites with the best available equipment....Just a thought.

Home Gym's can be expensive if you want to make it as good as a regular gym. Any reason you cant make it to a regular gym? None around you?

You would obviously need equipment for all the basic movements. Squat Rack, Bench, DB's, leg press, adjustable seats, ect..

Comment

I've recently moved to a rural area...I could commute to a gym but Im afraid I'll lose to much time and eventually skip workouts, but I have a garage Im closing in to make a workout/play room.

Comment

A Power Rack would be a good place to start... you can get your bench & squats out of the way with that. I pulley system would be necessary for lats, tri's, etc. Obviously free weights and appropriate bars. A dip station in my opinion is necessary.

I agree w/ Bouncer, thats going to add up in the terms of money.

Comment

CWIL, how much money are you looking to spend.

Comment

About 4-5k. Any opinions on a smith since I will not have a partner to spot?

Comment

I already have a full set of dumbells, a treadmill, bike and several bars. I would like to find some used equipment if I can. I've been on craigslist and ebay.

Comment

ahh, well 4-5k can definitely get it done, especially since you already have some stuff. Have you checked out this place? http://www.usedgymequipment.com/

Comment

Yes, cool site but I would need to purchase in the Dallas area. Not sure if a smith is the right choice?

Comment

-Power rack or squat/press stand.

-Olympic Barbell or 2

-Olympic Iron weights or rubber composition bumpers.

-DB set or adjustable DBs

-Portable adjustable flat bench

This is the bare minimum IMO

Comment

how bout treadmill isn't it necessary to save time as well??

Comment

Originally posted by jakejohnson View Post
                        how bout treadmill isn't it necessary to save time as well??
                        he said he has a treadmill, and I dont know how it would necessarily save time but it is nice to have some cardio options.

Comment

I might be able to add a point of view as I have put together several home gyms over the years. Space is always the problem. Power rack goes without saying as the most important piece. Dumbbells are the next most useful pieces but also the most space consuming. Though they are pricey I strongly recommend Powerblocks or some kind of dial wt. These days there are several manufactures. In the end you will spend more on individual dumbbells than what powerblocks cost. Space is the real trade off though

Comment

I wouldn't waste money or space on a smith machine. A trap-bar would be nice. You'll need a dip/pull-up station. As long as you can bench, squat, do pull-ups, dips, rows, deads, and military presses you should be fine. The thing I would miss most would be cable rows, I like being able to row 330 pounds without having to support the weight with my lower back....

Comment

Just pay Control to come out to you. 330 rows? Dam control I'm finally doing 260 for 6 reps and one arm rows 130 to 150 for 4, not bad for a man whos had 2 shoulder surgeries. I'm catching up to yea.

Comment

Working...
                              X