New guy needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy needs help

I'm a 26 year old male, about 5'10 and 150lbs.
    And I want to get into shape, and shed this scrawny look I've been living with for my whole life. I'm not looking for a perfect body. A little fat never killed anyone LOL. I'm a big fan of food, cant beat a juicy steak or burger. But what I'm looking to improve is size, strength, stamina, agility and reflexes. The only health issue that might affect my workout would be the ACL knee injury. That I would like to strengthen alot. Its a big concern of mine.
    My knowledge of this is very limited. Just recently have I done some reading about nutrition, supplements and workouts.

Nutrition & Supplements
    This is my biggest uncertainty. Because I don't know what my body needs and when it needs it. What I would like to do is create a menu for breakfast, snacks, lunch and supper that I can choose from. And add to the menu over time so I don't get bored with the food. What I'm asking for is a good source for this menu. Like a good recipe book, or an online source for recipes, or any good suggestions. Id really appreciate a good place for barbecuing recipes aswell. And I assume to get the size I want id have to eat as much as I wanted with no real limit. More the better.
    Ok for supplements I know a little, like whey protein, creatine and casein. But not sure when and how much. Except for casein, I heard the best time is before bed. Are there are any other supplements I need? Also I think it would B a good idea to take vitamins for days that I'm not getting everything I need. And I've broken alot of bones. So id like to get a good calcium supplement aswell. So if possible id like to get some suggestions on what to buy?

Training & Workouts
    I have some experience with working out. But nothing compared to the experience of anyone on this forum LOL. So I need a workout program that will help me improve on size, strength, stamina, agility and reflexes. And I wouldn't mind incorporating some MMA style workouts to keep things interesting. Are there any premade workout programs tailored to my needs? I was thinking about 1 hour a day. From monday to Friday and rest on the weekend. That time doesn't include cardio. Thats the other thing what should I do for cardio? And I was wondering, are wearing ankle and wrist weights bad for your joints if you wear them for 8 hours?
    Since I'm starting from scratch, should what I eat and my workout begin differently and change over a couple months?
    Im sure there are other questions that I have. But I cant think of any right now.

Every time I read anything about this subject I get discouraged cause it reminds me of how lost I feel. There just so much info to digest and so much to learn. And the combinations of workouts and supplements are just endless. Everyone seems to have different theories. I hope someone can help me simplify everything for me. Or at least guide me in the right direction. And if there are any past threads, good articles or a Website that can help let me know. If things where perfect someone would just give me a workout program and a food menu that I could follow religiously LOL

Thanks for any help.

first things first, lets look at your diet.

post your current diet so i can see where you at and we will start working with that.

Comment

Really good first post. Why dont you post up your current workout.

Comment

Excellent first post. Welcome to SM :)

Comment

You first stated you're not a big fan of food, this will have to change. Diet is key to put on weight and lose weight. You're going to have to eat 6-8 meals a day. Supplying your body with nutrients every 2-3hours is key. Don't worry about supplementing anything just yet. Getting down your diet is important, and how you train is important.
          To start you off here are a few pointers:
          http://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...-losing-weight
          http://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...ybuilding-diet
          http://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...ating-get-huge
          http://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...s-grocery-list (Bouncer, is there a way to make this a sticky? it has some really good information)

Hope this helps and welcome to the board. Great information here. As long as you're dedicated you will be fine.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a diet plan or a workout program. That's what I'm trying to start.

@dna9488
            I think you miss read. I love food. But the thing is not all good food is all that healthy lol.
            When you say meals is that full meals. or is that snacks between breakfast lunch and supper. And awesome links thanks.

Thanks for the info so far. but in my original post I have a couple unanswered questions and concerns id like to have answer. So please keep this good info coming

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan View Post
              Unfortunately I don't have a diet plan or a workout program. That's what I'm trying to start.

@dna9488
              I think you miss read. I love food. But the thing is not all good food is all that healthy lol.
              When you say meals is that full meals. or is that snacks between breakfast lunch and supper. And awesome links thanks.

Thanks for the info so far. but in my original post I have a couple unanswered questions and concerns id like to have answer. So please keep this good info coming
              Snacks? Hello no. Full meals. I like 4-5 meals and 2 shakes. There are plently of diets posted on this board. Use the search function.
              We know you dont have a diet plan but what are you eating ATM, give us something to work with. We wont do all the work for you.
              Last edited by redback; 02-27-09, 12:12 AM.

Comment

like i said, list you current diet and i will help you from there. whatever you eat on a daily basis, post it.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                  Excellent first post. Welcome to SM :)
                  my first post kicked ass too ya know

Comment

My current diet is not good at all.
                    When I get into a good diet it'll b a life changer. Cause I know I don't eat enough.
                    I occasionally have breakfast. If i wake up early enough before work. Usually just have a bowl of cereal.
                    For lunch I have 2 sandwiches ( ham, Roast beef, pastrami or turkey). Sometimes I have peanut butter sandwich. Some fruit, lately its been pineapple. And also I've been trying some hard boiled eggs. I haven't eaten that since is was a kid.
                    For supper, I have a big steak and baked potato's with sour cream. And when I'm bored of that I have fish and rice.
                    That kinda gives you an idea of my diet.
                    I know it needs alot of work. Also I'm limited with the stuff I know how to cook. Unless there instructions on the box.Not too long ago, I usually went out for food. But that was just costing me way too much money
                    That's one thing I think I would need, is good tasty meal ideas. With cooking instructions.

Comment

one thing you have to understand is that cooking is not hard. hell just get a bunch of raw chicken and steak, cut it up into pieces and throw in it a pan with a little olive oil. there you have a bunch of meat for the next few meals.

go get carb sources like rice, potatoes, etc..

going to be in your face honest here. you are being lazy. you know that you are not eating enough, you say "i occasionally eat breakfast". come on dude, you dont need me to tell you that is wrong.

you are trying to put on mass. eat, eat, eat. every 3 hours eat. blend up oats, protein powder, natural peanut butter, and some water in a blender in between meal when you feel like you cant eat anymore.

you cant be looking for the big menu plan with tasty appetizers and a margarita. you have to eat muscle building food. chicken, steak, eggs, fish, oats, rice, natural Peanut butter, veggies.

you have to sacrifice here bro. you want to eat like a normal joe but you want to look like a bodybuilder.

Comment

Best calcium supp is low fat or nofat cottage cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                          one thing you have to understand is that cooking is not hard. hell just get a bunch of raw chicken and steak, cut it up into pieces and throw in it a pan with a little olive oil. there you have a bunch of meat for the next few meals.

go get carb sources like rice, potatoes, etc..

going to be in your face honest here. you are being lazy. you know that you are not eating enough, you say "i occasionally eat breakfast". come on dude, you dont need me to tell you that is wrong.

you are trying to put on mass. eat, eat, eat. every 3 hours eat. blend up oats, protein powder, natural peanut butter, and some water in a blender in between meal when you feel like you cant eat anymore.

you cant be looking for the big menu plan with tasty appetizers and a margarita. you have to eat muscle building food. chicken, steak, eggs, fish, oats, rice, natural Peanut butter, veggies.

you have to sacrifice here bro. you want to eat like a normal joe but you want to look like a bodybuilder.

well said...

Comment

You also need to buy whey protein,lift all u want but if u dont get enough protein your wasting your time,you must eat every 3 hours,if u dont feel like eating sometimes u down a protein shake,but the key is eat,eat eat.you have to want it bad enough bro.

Comment

Working...
                            X