Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seem like dumb questions to me but I don't know the answers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seem like dumb questions to me but I don't know the answers...

I have 2 questions that seem like dumb questions to me, but I can't find a good answer for them anywhere, so am finally breaking down to ask someone.

I'm starting a new workout routine to focus more on building muscle. I've never done this before and am fairly ignorant about a couple simple things.

1. What is the workout progression of sets & exercises? By this I mean, do I do all the sets of 1 exercise before moving to the next exercise? 20 years ago when I played some sports and we did some light weight training, we did 1 set of every exercise, then did the 2nd set of every exercise, then the 3rd set. And we never did anything to failure.

While reading a lot about muscle building exercises, I get the feeling that you do ALL the sets of 1 exercise before moving to another exercise. Is that right? I haven't seen a place where anyone actually said this.

2. What should muscles feel like post-workout and the next day? My muscles usually feel fatigued for a day or two after I work them. But they don't get sore any more. They only felt sore during the first week really. Is this normal? Should they always feel sore a day or two after working out? I keep wondering if I'm not working them hard enough since I don't feel sore...

Thanks again everyone.

Originally posted by rhetoric View Post
    I have 2 questions that seem like dumb questions to me, but I can't find a good answer for them anywhere, so am finally breaking down to ask someone.

I'm starting a new workout routine to focus more on building muscle. I've never done this before and am fairly ignorant about a couple simple things.

1. What is the workout progression of sets & exercises? By this I mean, do I do all the sets of 1 exercise before moving to the next exercise? 20 years ago when I played some sports and we did some light weight training, we did 1 set of every exercise, then did the 2nd set of every exercise, then the 3rd set. And we never did anything to failure.

While reading a lot about muscle building exercises, I get the feeling that you do ALL the sets of 1 exercise before moving to another exercise. Is that right? I haven't seen a place where anyone actually said this.

2. What should muscles feel like post-workout and the next day? My muscles usually feel fatigued for a day or two after I work them. But they don't get sore any more. They only felt sore during the first week really. Is this normal? Should they always feel sore a day or two after working out? I keep wondering if I'm not working them hard enough since I don't feel sore...

Thanks again everyone.
    Keep it simple to start out with. Do 3 sets of 1 exercise and then move onto the next exercise. There is a time and a place to change things up but for now just keep it simple.

Your muscles should feel sore a day or 2 after you work them. Not crazy sore but definitely a little sore. Be careful not to fall into a routine where you are doing the same exact reps and weight workout after workout.

For example, the next time you do biceps go with a lighter weight then you are used to but go until failure. Nice controlled curls until your literally cant do another rep in that particular set.

The body adapts so you must keep changing things up and pushing it. To many people fall into a set routine, those are the people you see in the gym that have looked the same for 5 years..

Comment

Thanks again Bouncer.

It's good to hear a confirmation on that. I'll definitely keep an eye on my workout and try not to fall into a routine, changing reps, sets, and exercises occasionally.

Back to the "soreness" you describe... I worked out shoulders yesterday. Today, there's none of that "good kind of pain" that I usually associate with doing exercise when I haven't exercised for a long time. That usually "hurts" (for lack of a better term). But today, my shoulders & neck feel "fatigued". When I raise my arm up, I think to myself "wow, my arm feels really heavy today & it's hard to lift" instead of "OOOO, AAAHHH, Ouch!"

After typing that and experimenting with my arm and neck, I think that is the "little sore" you're referring to. So that's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rhetoric View Post
        Back to the "soreness" you describe... I worked out shoulders yesterday. Today, there's none of that "good kind of pain" that I usually associate with doing exercise when I haven't exercised for a long time. That usually "hurts" (for lack of a better term). But today, my shoulders & neck feel "fatigued". When I raise my arm up, I think to myself "wow, my arm feels really heavy today & it's hard to lift" instead of "OOOO, AAAHHH, Ouch!"

After typing that and experimenting with my arm and neck, I think that is the "little sore" you're referring to. So that's a good thing.
        yea, thats fine. certain muscles like delts are a bit hard to get that sore feeling like you will get in say your pecs.

Comment

Thanks a lot Bouncer. Nice to have answers to these nagging questions.

Comment

Working...
          X