What to do when you miss a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when you miss a day?

Hey guys. I have a quick question for you.

I missed last Friday's workout which was supposed to be a Back/Biceps/Abs day due to unforeseen circumstances. I can't workout over the weekend due to other responsibilities so couldn't make it up.

It's Monday now, which is usually a Chest/Triceps/Abs day for me.

Should I just completely forget about last Friday's workout and continue my normal schedule? Or should I adjust my schedule and do the Back/Biceps today, move Chest/Tris to Wednesday, and everything else back a couple days too?

Thanks!

i would move everything to a different day.

there is no reason why you have to do a certain body part on a certain day. makes no difference in terms of progress.

Comment

how long has it been since you switched your routine up - you could do chest / bi - rest a day back / tri - i personally like to do push/pull movements or I feel like I tend to over train if i do back/bi/forearms etc all in one day.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I just switched my routine up the first of August (last Monday).

My usual routine before that was:
        Mon - Chest/Biceps
        Wed - Shoulders/Legs
        Fri - Back/Triceps

Last week I switched the Biceps & Triceps days as well as changed some of the exercises I do for all the muscles.

I have no problem just changing the days for everything if that's the most reasonable thing to do. I just wasn't sure if skipping muscle groups for as much as 2 weeks would set me back.

Comment

Common sense should tell you to the Back work on Mon, wtf difference does it make as to what day you do a body part?

Comment

Originally posted by the art of war View Post
            i personally like to do push/pull movements or I feel like I tend to over train if i do back/bi/forearms etc all in one day.
            I keep reading conflicting points of view on this. I guess I just have to figure out what works well for me.

Previously, I did Chest/Bi the same day and Back/Tri the same day. I just decided to try Chest/Tri and Back/Bi based on what many people say about the associated muscle groups...i.e. work a major group like the chest and the secondary group (Triceps) after that to get the max stress on the muscles.

But I can understand the overtraining point too. Also heard others mention getting the Triceps worked out twice in a week since they would be secondary in one workout and primary in another.

I can't find any definitive studies that says which may work the best. I guess you just have to experiment and see what works for you, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
              Common sense should tell you to the Back work on Mon, wtf difference does it make as to what day you do a body part?
              Wow, thanks for such a classy response. This may be common sense for someone who has done this for years, but I haven't. This is why I posted in the BEGINNERS forum genius.

There's this word many people here use called 'routine'. Routine means a set of actions followed regularly. Many people call their workout a 'Routine'. Maybe a week for you consists of haphazard and random exercises, but I'd wager that most people like to have one of these 'routines'.

Does my chest workout HAVE to be done on Monday? No it doesn't. But it is part of the routine that I have. I like having my days planned and knowing what I'll be doing before I get to the gym so I don't have to spend extra time reorganizing things.

Comment

Originally posted by rhetoric View Post
                Wow, thanks for such a classy response. This may be common sense for someone who has done this for years, but I haven't. This is why I posted in the BEGINNERS forum genius.

There's this word many people here use called 'routine'. Routine means a set of actions followed regularly. Many people call their workout a 'Routine'. Maybe a week for you consists of haphazard and random exercises, but I'd wager that most people like to have one of these 'routines'.

Does my chest workout HAVE to be done on Monday? No it doesn't. But it is part of the routine that I have. I like having my days planned and knowing what I'll be doing before I get to the gym so I don't have to spend extra time reorganizing things.
                I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. What I stated should be common sense for anyone regardless of experience. Say you miss three Fridays in a row, are you going to only work back once that month?
                Last edited by liftsiron; 08-09-10, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I missed a day. Sometimes I have to go late but, that is about as far as it gets. IF I were to miss a day I would probably double up or move everything like B said

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
                    I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. What I stated should be common sense for anyone regardless of experience. Say you miss three Fridays in a row, are you going to only work back once that month?
                    Sorry for jumping on you about it.

I didn't miss 3 Fridays in a row though, just one. I agree in that I'd say common sense says that you can't work a muscle group only once a month.

But I don't think it's necessarily common sense to say that if you miss one workout you need to rearrange your whole schedule, when you know you'll get right back to it the following week.

If you have lots of time to workout and exercise, I can see it not being a big deal to change things around. But I have a small window to do what I need to and a pretty rigid schedule I have to follow daily with work. Spending additional time rearranging things can cost me. And it does take me time because I'm new at this. I need to think about which equipment to have ready, get my notes on the weight I'm using ready to go as well as the flow, and then each workout runs a slightly different amount of time so I have to compensate for this at work.

If rearranging everything is best thing to do, then I'll do it, but if skipping one workout won't hurt me much, then it would be preferential.

Comment

Originally posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
                      I can't remember the last time I missed a day. Sometimes I have to go late but, that is about as far as it gets. IF I were to miss a day I would probably double up or move everything like B said
                      Thanks. I'm 35 and have 4 young kids. One got sick and I had to leave work early to go home and take care of him. There's just no way I could have left him to go workout that evening.

I know this sort of thing will happen occasionally so I appreciate everyones thoughts on the best way to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhetoric View Post
                        Thanks. I'm 35 and have 4 young kids. One got sick and I had to leave work early to go home and take care of him. There's just no way I could have left him to go workout that evening.

I know this sort of thing will happen occasionally so I appreciate everyones thoughts on the best way to handle it.
                        I have 6 kids 3 under 8 I understand

Comment

Working...
                        X