What next equipment should I ask for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What next equipment should I ask for?

So my birthday's coming up in a month or so and I really want the wife to get me some sort of weight training equipment. Here is what I have right now. Everything is used that I picked up at yard sales or from craigslist over time.

4 barbells of different lengths & weights
    2 sets of cheap dumbbells
    Doorway pull up bar that is not bad
    Lots of different free weight styles and sizes...but all have the smaller hole (olympic?)
    Mats for the floor
    Bench - old one but it works...the incline sucks though
    Treadmill
    Total gym
    EZ bar

I'm still very much a beginner but workout only at home for now.

With the stuff I have, I can bench press, do pull ups, do pseudo dips on the total gym, dumbbell squats, and targeted stuff with the dumbbells.

Her budget is probably $200. What should I ask her to get me?

you have a pull up bar. so I would get more dumbbells or if on a budget they have thoes dial a weight kind I forget who makes them but dumbells area must you can do everything with the right set of dumbells.
    hopefully someone will come along and know the name of the dumbell thing I am talking about

Comment

Dip belt. Best accessory to kick up you dips and pullups a notch. You can get a nice one for thirty or forty bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
        Dip belt. Best accessory to kick up you dips and pullups a notch. You can get a nice one for thirty or forty bucks.
        or save 30-40 bucks and hold the dbell with your feet crossed. old school prison shit right there

Comment

Let me mention a couple quick things too. First, I've just picked up weight training again, I had stopped in favor of trying to lose fat for about 6 months and had only weight trained about 6 months before that for the first time.

Was 6'3, 225lbs. Down to 195 lbs now and am picking up the weights again. I do realize now that I probably should have never stopped weight training while losing the fat but that's another discussion.

My body is really thin by nature and pretty weak in the upper body. Can't do a pull up yet so working with negative pull ups. And unfortunately, the dips I am doing are not true dips. I am using the Total Gym which is that machine that rolls up and down using your body weight. I set it up as high as it will go and put the dip bars on it. And even with this right now, I struggle with 3 sets of 8.

I had to look up what a dip belt was. Interesting but I think it will be awhile before I can handle any more weight there and don't have a place to do real dips yet.

I wouldn't mind having an easily adjustable set of dumbbells. Switching the weights for the different exercises is kind of a hassle but I try to setup what I need the day before typically so it hasn't been bad. This is an interesting suggestion though because those things seem useful and I always ogle them at the store.

Thanks for the posts!

I understand that the fundamental exercises are pulls ups, squats, dips, bench press, military press, & deadlifts.

The only ones I can't really do are barbell squats & dips. Is there something out there that would help me be able to do these? Or am I ok with dumbbell squats and Total Gym dips for now?

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
            or save 30-40 bucks and hold the dbell with your feet crossed. old school prison shit right there
            you cant hold anything more then 40lb or so with your feet. weak bitch, shows how light you go on dips.

Comment

LOL.... Rocket come on bro, even I do dips with 75 to 80 lb dumbbells... :)

Comment

Power cage

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                  Power cage
                  :agreed: def. a power rack

Elite FTS
                  should give you some idea's check amazon.

Comment

I know those can get expensive. Any recommendations on the less expensive ones?

Comment

Amazon.com: power rack

what are "those" power rack? did you check amazon?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                        you cant hold anything more then 40lb or so with your feet. weak bitch, shows how light you go on dips.
                        I have a dip belt jack ass I have only gone up to 90lbs. I dont even use the belt anymore i am more about reps. I have conditioned my body for 12 to long. It seems to get stuck at 12.

I was trying to be more funny than anything.

Comment

LOL.... Rocket come on bro, even I do dips with 75 to 80 lb dumbbells... :)
                          I use plates on my belt.

even with you adding 90lbs I still weight more than you,lol

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
                            I use plates on my belt.

even with you adding 90lbs I still weight more than you,lol
                            I was referring to your comment of holding dumbbells with your feet - not sure I can hold 80lb dumbbells with my feet.

And yes... 135 + 90 = 225, so you are right.. :rofl:

Comment

I was referring to your comment of holding dumbbells with your feet - not sure I can hold 80lb dumbbells with my feet.

And yes... 135 + 90 = 225, so you are right.. :rofl:
                              I know bro I was just talkin shit. I never tried it but I am sure I can not hold a 90lber either

135 damn vegan eat some meat.lol

Comment

Working...
                              X