Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numpty Novice

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if I'm wasting my time!!!!

I have limited time to work out due to work and family (I'm sure I'm not alone).

I train for 30-35 mins in the morning with weights and another 40mins of cardio in my lunch break.

I'm fat and forty, looking to eventually lose fat but my main aim is to gain muscle. Can I achieve this in the time I have or am I flogging a dead horse?

I've stopped losing weight, dont feel like I'm gaining muscle however I have seen strength gains.

I'm considering dropping the cardio and using both my morning and lunchtime sessions for weights - any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Fatboy

My Weights routine is as follows:

Monday
    Squats 5x5
    Flat barbell press 5x5
    Incline Flyes 3x8-10
    Flat Dumbbell Press 3x8-10
    Straight Arm Pullover 3x10

Tuesday
    Military Press 3x8-10
    Side Raises 3x10-15
    Front raises 3x10-15
    Shrugs 3x10

Wednesday
    Squats 5x5
    Reverse Grip Pulldown: close grip 4x10
    Bent Over dumBell Rows 3x10-12
    Straight Arm Pulldown 3x10
    Upright rows 3x10

Thursday
    Flat barbell press 5x5
    Incline Flyes 3x8-10
    Flat Dumbbell Press 3x8-10
    Straight Arm Pullover 3x10

Friday
    Squats 5x5
    Military Press 3x8-10
    Side Raises 3x10-15
    Front raises 3x10-15
    Shrugs 3x10

If you are lifting weights and doing cardio and not losing weight, it means you are not eating right. What is your height/weight/age/sex and how many calories do you eat currently? If you don't know, then there's your problem.

Comment

diet is the biggest factor. you listed your training but said nothing about diet which leads me to believe that is where your weakness lies.

list what your normal daily diet looks like.

Comment

Thanks for your feed back guys.

I'm 40 year old male, 5'11 currently 225lbs

My diet has varied over the past few months.

I try to have 6 meals per day and is currently:

Omni hardcore 05:30
        training (weights)
        Omni hardcore 07:30
        protein shake or tin of tuna 10:00
        protein shake or tin of tuna 12:30
        training (cardio)
        protein shake 16:00
        Meal of chicken/rice 20:30 - 21:00

My daily intake is roughly between 220-260gm protein and 2000 calories.

I'm replacing the protein shakes @10:00, 12:00 and 16:00 with meal replacment shakes consisting of 35gm protein, 35gm carbs 330calories.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyatkins View Post
          Thanks for your feed back guys.

I'm 40 year old male, 5'11 currently 225lbs

My diet has varied over the past few months.

I try to have 6 meals per day and is currently:

Omni hardcore 05:30
          training (weights)
          Omni hardcore 07:30
          protein shake or tin of tuna 10:00
          protein shake or tin of tuna 12:30
          training (cardio)
          protein shake 16:00
          Meal of chicken/rice 20:30 - 21:00

My daily intake is roughly between 220-260gm protein and 2000 calories.

I'm replacing the protein shakes @10:00, 12:00 and 16:00 with meal replacment shakes consisting of 35gm protein, 35gm carbs 330calories.

Cheers
          in other words your on a liquid diet. lol

bro your body knows real food and fake food.

shakes have there place but it is for post workout and maybe before bed. thats it.

replace everone one of those shakes with chicken and rice except for the post workout shake and a before bed shake. every meal besides those 2 need to be real food.

Comment

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it

Looks like I'd better get cooking!

I was using the shakes as a way of controlling my intake - sounds like my logic was a mile out.

I guess the 5kg of protein powder Ihd delivered today will last me a long time :)

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyatkins View Post
              Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it

Looks like I'd better get cooking!

I was using the shakes as a way of controlling my intake - sounds like my logic was a mile out.

I guess the 5kg of protein powder Ihd delivered today will last me a long time :)
              yea man, there is no short cut or trick, it takes real effort and hard work.

watch how you cook that chicken and rice also.

dont be cooking up drum sticks and dunking them in BBQ sauce etc.. lol

i am talking boneless skinless chicken breast grilled or cooked without oils etc..

for healthy fats you could add in fish oils or just have a piece of salmon here and there. still gotta watch cals, just watch the cals and do it with real food.

Comment

Sounds like you are bang on the money - hard work! I was more concerned about the gym aspect and thought I had the other bases covered with the supplements.

Does my routine sound ok as a starting point? I turned 40 3 days ago and I;m under no illusions, but I would like to gain some mass while losing the beer belly that I've invested in over the last 15 year's!

Thanks again for your time and help

Comment

Routine is fine bro. The key is consistency. If you work really hard for months an then give up for a few weeks and then get back into it again all will be lost.

This is not a diet or a routine. This is a lifestyle bro. If you want to look a certain way you have to live it.

Comment

Don't let age be an excuse, bro. Not saying you are, but you don't want to go in with the attitude that I am forty, so I can't be expected to have good results.

I am 45 and I try to bring it to the gym (or the trail) every day.

Use fitday.com to make an HONEST assessment of what your calorie consumption is per day. People are notorious at estimating calories and almost always underestimate what they are eating.

Your BMR is 2100 and assuming a sedentary lifestyle (multiplier of 1.2), your daily caloric requirement is 2500 calories. In your case, since you were consuming so many meal replacement shakes, etc. accurate calorie estimation may be less of an issue. Regardless, you might want to make sure you don't exceed 2000 calories since you don't have too much head room. In fact, you absolutely MUST keep the cardio. That's the only way you are likely to hit a 1000 calorie deficit which would be good for weight loss.

Comment

Id definately listen to bouncer and scrum in terms of diet but i think you should definately up the reps in your weights even if that means dropping the weight. If you are trying to burn fat you need to definately up your squats 5 sets of 5 is doing nothing thats a warm up smash out sets of 20 and watch your weight drop.

also its virtually impossible to naturally drop fat and put on muscle. while you will see strength increase focus on keeping your heart rate up during weights and cardio then when you are at an appropriate body fat level focus on your strength and size.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                        Routine is fine bro. The key is consistency. If you work really hard for months an then give up for a few weeks and then get back into it again all will be lost.

This is not a diet or a routine. This is a lifestyle bro. If you want to look a certain way you have to live it.
                        Thanks fella.

I have the determination, its patience I lack!

I've tried all sorts of routines and supplements over the past few months, trying to find what works.

I'll put your advice into action and see how I get on! Thanks again mate

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post

Thanks fella.

I have the determination, its patience I lack!

I've tried all sorts of routines and supplements over the past few months, trying to find what works.
                          Not looking for a quick fix (that would be nice though!) but to just be on the correct path.
                          I'll put your advice into action and see how I get on! Thanks again mate

Comment

There is no quick fix. Give it 6 months. Don't lose patience after a few weeks.

Comment

You've got a great attitude. And your cologne smells like heaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X