Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is My Steroid Free Muscle & Strength Potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is My Steroid Free Muscle & Strength Potential?

Key Points:

1) Drug-free muscular potential is influenced by the size of your frame.

2) Strength is a function of neural factors and muscular factors. Once you’ve hit a point of diminishing returns for the neural factors, your strength potential will be determined by how much muscle you can build.

3) Based on a few simple calculations, you can get a pretty good idea of your muscular and strength potential.

I think almost every lifter has had this thought: “I used to be able to get bigger and stronger so easily! But lately the gains have been slowing down dramatically, and I’ve barely made any progress in the past year. How much bigger and stronger can I reasonably get?”

That’s a hard question to answer objectively, but I’m going to try. This article explains the basics of the models I’m using and makes some rough predictions. Part 2 refines those predictions and lets you know how you can use that information to make training decisions.

First, just a smidgen of background information:

How much muscle you can gain largely depends on the size of your frame.
    How strong you can get is a product of how much muscle you have, and how proficient you are with the lifts you’re using to demonstrate your strength.

So, first and foremost, I’ll discuss the model you can use to predict how much muscle you can put on your frame. Then, based on that information, I’ll discuss the model you can use to predict how much more strength you can gain, and what proportion of that strength potential comes from neural/technical factors, and what proportion comes from muscular factors.

This may sound complicated and confusing, but bear with me; it’s really pretty simple conceptually, and you don’t need to worry about all the math behind it.

What’s my muscular potential?

There have been a variety of ways proposed to predict someone’s muscular potential. They all give reasonably similar predictions, but there are two that I think are notably better than the others, and only one of them is user-friendly. I’ll touch on them all so that you can see the strengths and weaknesses of each.

The Berkhan/Leangains Model

This one’s probably the simplest. Martin Berkhan (the guy who runs Leangains.com) developed this model based on his observations concerning the stage weights of drug-free bodybuilders.

Weight (kg, in shredded, stage-ready condition) = height in cm – 100

To convert that to fat-free mass, you’d multiply the result by .95 (to account for 5% body fat in stage-ready condition).

So, if you’re 160cm (5’3″), you should expect to be about 60kg, with 57kg of lean mass.

Full Article: YOUR Drug-Free Muscle and Strength Potential: Part 1 • Strengtheory

Part 2

If you haven’t read the first part of this series, go ahead and check it out before diving into this article. Just a quick recap of the background information from Part 1:

Of the available models for predicting your drug-free muscular potential, muscle:bone ratio is probably the best option, but Dr. Casey Butt’s calculations are based on similar principles, and are much more user-friendly, so that’s what we’re going with for predicting muscular potential.

Strength is part neural, and part muscular. For people who have all but maxed out their potential for neural improvements in strength (national and world-class powerlifters), there’s a very strong relationship between strength and fat free mass per unit of height.

So now, let’s get down to business. Use the calculator below to predict your drug-free muscular potential at 12% body fat for men, and 20% for women. Why 12% and 20%? Because that’s the level that most people can attain without it impacting their strength too much. Most elite male powerlifters in weight-capped classes have a body fat percentage between 10% and 15%, and most women have a body fat percentage between 18-23%. Lower than that, and most peoples’ strength starts taking a hit. Higher than that, and the extra fat starts negatively impacting relative strength. To be a successful powerlifter, you need to be both as jacked as possible, and as lean as possible without your strength being negatively affected, so I’m using 12% and 20% body fat here as rough averages for where most people will be in order to be maximally competitive.

Full Article: YOUR Drug-Free Muscle and Strength Potential: Part 2 • Strengtheory

Comment

Working...
    X