Hey guys, Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, Newbie

Hey all Just wanted to say hello. I am starting to lift weights but I am finding it difficult to find information about where to begin. At the very beginning, And I mean questions relating to whether or not i should try to lose weight first and then start lifting for strength, or just start for strength right away. The information on the internet is always different from site to site. I am looking to look good for my wedding in 6 months and I have access to great food as I am a chef. I am wondering if anyone else has been in the same position and could shine a light. Thanks for any help you can give.:thumup:

Depends on just how much weight you have to lose?

Putting on muscle will burn calories in and off itself.

But in general if you've never dieted, trained, or done cardio you'll benefit a great deal by simply starting all 3.

If your obese obviously my recommendation would be to make losing fat priority number 1.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! :)I need to lose 10 kg to reach my proper bmi, Im 6.2 95 kg. I wouldnt say im obese but id be pretty close I just look a bit like a pear, No fat a lot of fat on my arms or legs as i am constantly working.(I shudder to think what I would look like without working every day haha). Or does 10kg count as obese? And is 6 months long enough to lose 10kg of fat? I mean if i start at around 2000 calories a day and working out for around 1 hour a day? I downloaded a calorie counter. Or does that not really matter at the start? Thanks heaps for the answers, I appreciate it.

Comment

yea it's really all about diet for you. obviously training and cardio will help but nothing will have the impact on your body like a strict diet. it's pretty much up to you how much you want this. if you really want to drop the fat you can easily do it with a clean restricted cal diet that is CONSISTENT. if you eat clean for 5 days a week and eat like shit for 2 days dont even bother starting in the first place.

diet is the hardest thing for people to change. all depends on you bro. have you got what it takes to stick to a strict diet?

Comment

Nice username! :thumup:

A calorie counter is useful, at least in the beginning. If you are honest about entering what you eat, you'll be surprised. Most counters have the option to create custom foods, so if you eat a sandwich regularly, you can make a custom food so that you are not entering 10 different items each time.

Also calculate your required calories. This is usually your minimum (basal metabolic) calories multiplied by an activity factor, typically 1.3 or 1.5 for most people.

Google BMR calculator and you can get your BMR number. Then multiply by the activity factor. Here is a website.

BMR Calculator

Once you get your BMR calorie number, use the formula below depending on your lifestyle to get your daily calorie needs. To lose weight, undershoot this number by 500 Kcal a day.

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
            If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
            If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
            If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
            If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Dude..your gonna have to burn more calories then you take in every day..simple as that. Bouncer is right on about diet..along with that you need to do cardio to help you run a deficit on your calories. I understand where your coming from..I took off right at 50 lbs in 6 months with diet cardio and weight lifting combined. Took a lot of diet advice from Bouncer and put my old military training to use for cardio. Going on 6 years later Im still good to go. You have to be DETERMINED and DIET is the hardest part. If your a chef..it could be harder as your around food all day..and if you take a sample here or a sample there your adding calories.. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes guys, Ill try as hard to stick to eating clean, Diet more important than the Working out part. I have been doing an hour of cardio a day in preperation to start lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadeth View Post
                    Ill try as hard to stick to eating clean

Comment

Working...
                    X