The supplement for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The supplement for beginners

In their quest to run farther, jump higher, and outlast the competition, many athletes have turned to a variety of performance-enhancing drugs and supplements. Creatine is the most popular of these substances, believed to enhance muscle mass and help athletes achieve bursts of strength.

Part of the reason for creatine's popularity might be its accessibility. Creatine powder, tablets, energy bars, and drink mixes are available without a doctor's prescription at drug stores, supermarkets, nutrition stores, and over the Internet.

Although creatine is a natural substance, it hasn't been well-studied over the long-term. Researchers still aren't sure what effects it might have on the body, particularly in young people, or how effective it might be.

What Is Creatine?

Creatine is a natural substance that turns into creatine phosphate in the body. Creatine phosphate helps make a substance called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP provides the energy for muscle contractions.

The body produces some of the creatine it uses. It also comes from protein-rich foods such as meat or fish.

How Is Creatine Used?

Back in the 1970s, scientists discovered that taking creatine in supplement form might enhance physical performance. In the 1990s, athletes started to catch on, and creatine became a popular sports supplement. According to studies, 8% of adolescents take creatine. The supplement is particularly popular among high school, college, and professional athletes, especially football and hockey players, wrestlers, and gymnasts. An estimated 40% of college athletes and up to half of professional athletes say they use creatine supplements.

Creatine is thought to improve strength, increase lean muscle mass, and help the muscles recover more quickly during exercise. This muscular boost may help athletes achieve bursts of speed and energy, especially during short bouts of high-intensity activities such as weight lifting or sprinting. However, scientific research on creatine has been mixed. Although some studies have found that it does help improve performance during short periods of athletic activity, there is no evidence that creatine helps with endurance sports. Research also shows that not everyone's muscles respond to creatine; some people who use it see no benefit.

Despite the popularity of creatine among young people, there has been very little research conducted in children under age 18. Of those studies, a few have suggested a positive effect but the overall evidence is inconclusive. In one study, teenage swimmers performed better after taking creatine; in another study, it helped high school soccer players sprint, dribble, and jump more effectively.

Researchers are studying whether creatine might also be useful for treating certain health conditions caused by weakened muscles, including:

Heart failure and heart attack
    Huntington's disease
    Neuromuscular disorders, including muscular dystrophy and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease)
    Creatine is also being studied as a way to lower cholesterol in people with abnormally high levels. Although early research has been promising, it's too early to say for sure whether creatine is effective for any of these conditions.

How Safe Is Creatine?

Just because creatine is natural, doesn't necessarily mean that it is safe. Supplements aren't held to the same standards by the FDA as medications, which means you can't always know exactly what's in your supplement, or in what amounts.

Researchers still don't know the long-term effects of taking creatine supplements, especially in young people. Adolescents who take creatine often do so without their doctor's advice, which can cause them to take more than the recommended dose.

Although most healthy people can take it with no problem, creatine can, in rare cases, have adverse effects, particularly when used in excess. Side effects can include:

Weight gain
    Anxiety
    Breathing difficulty
    Diarrhea
    Fatigue
    Fever
    Headache
    Kidney problems
    Nausea, vomiting
    Rash
    Stomach upset
    Certain drugs, including diabetes medications, acetaminophen, and diuretics, can have dangerous interactions with creatine. Taking the stimulants caffeine and ephedra with creatine can increase the risk of side effects.

Creatine isn't recommended for people with kidney or liver disease, or diabetes. Others who should avoid taking it are children under age 18 and women who are pregnant or nursing. Also don't use creatine if you are taking any medication or supplement that could affect your blood sugar, because creatine may also affect blood sugar levels.

WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by David Kiefer, MD on September 16, 2016

Another thing that I think beginners overlook is diet. I can not stress that enough. Nutrition is important whether it is to gain, cut, maintain, even recomp. I feel like that's what we need to teach beginners; the importance of nutrition. Then comes the training, and finally the supplements. I wish someone taught me as a beginner how important food was. Instead I was all hopped up on the cell tech lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Androman View Post
      Another thing that I think beginners overlook is diet. I can not stress that enough. Nutrition is important whether it is to gain, cut, maintain, even recomp. I feel like that's what we need to teach beginners; the importance of nutrition. Then comes the training, and finally the supplements. I wish someone taught me as a beginner how important food was. Instead I was all hopped up on the cell tech lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Exactly. I remember buying cell tech and ripped fuel thinking that shit was gonna turn me into a freak within days. LoL.

Supps have their place (creatine, whey, fish oil, multi vit) but they are all a very distant 3rd compared to diet and training.

I guess as a beginner to hear it's just diet and training seems really boring. It's easy to get sucked into the snake oil world of supplements.

Comment

When I was younger I continuously bought the liquid creatine, which we now know is pretty much useless.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
          Exactly. I remember buying cell tech and ripped fuel thinking that shit was gonna turn me into a freak within days. LoL.

Supps have their place (creatine, whey, fish oil, multi vit) but they are all a very distant 3rd compared to diet and training.

I guess as a beginner to hear it's just diet and training seems really boring. It's easy to get sucked into the snake oil world of supplements.
          Gotdamn celltech... gave me more headaches then clenbuterol...back then we didn't have forums like these... New era is lucky
          Twinlabs ripfuel and aminos FTW
          Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Great supplements so far. I would like to try this supplements in order to gain muscle and body. I hope I can do that. Thanks to all!

Comment

NathanA here is a great suppliment for you.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
                NathanA here is a great suppliment for you.

Literally laughed out loud

Comment

I'm betting he choose the blue pill.

Comment

I find supplements so expensive and think I've gotten better results just spending the money on higher quality food. I used to use mass gainers but only put on fat using those.

Comment

Is creatine banned by the four major sports leagues? just curious.

Comment

Best supplements:

1. Creatine for sure (A normal diet doesn't offer the creatine necessary for strength and good lifts)

2. Whey Protein
                        3. Multi-vitamin (only if your cutting because you should be getting your vitamins and minerals through your diet)

Comment

Originally posted by NathanBaker21 View Post
                          I find supplements so expensive and think I've gotten better results just spending the money on higher quality food. I used to use mass gainers but only put on fat using those.
                          Your a very smart man. You money is MUCH better spent on high quality foods for gains.

Comment

Working...
                          X