Where does Bodybuilding go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Bodybuilding go from here?

I know theres a few people on here that compete and more like me that have in the past. Theres far more of us that simply enjoy the whole science coupled with the activity of lifting weights and excercise.

The thing is unless its just me the sport seems to have been getting less and less credit in recent years. Whether its loui Theroux or similar documentaries that mock or the anabolic steriod association it seems to bare the brunt of most negative aspects associated with sport.

This is crazy when you consider that so many nutritional and athletic breakthroughs of performance in other sports were pioneered in bodybuilding.

Relative to other sports competitors are not nearly as well renumerated for the efforts they put in. So whwre is it going and how can it be improved?

1) Would introducing drug testing to the Mr Olympia give the sport more credit and make it seen as a good thing? before you blow me out here just consider that we all know other sports (which are tested) have many atheletes that use, but beat the test. Whether its becasue they only use peptides and slin or fast acting in and out metabolites, WE all know that its a sham when they claim these sports are drug free. But the difference is they are seen as a good thing, if your son says I want to be a; football player, tennis player, wrestler, rugby, baseball everyone would think yeah how great that would be, but then if their son said I want to be a bodybuilder everyone would just think 'steriods' bad stuff etc etc, so why not introduce testing and sell it as drug free

also think how much more competitors could make off modelling or endorsements if society had a more positive view

freindly responses please
    Last edited by Mr I; 08-31-07, 02:04 PM.

Conversely in other sports, here mma;

In the wake of UFC 73 and mixed martial arts' ongoing steroid saga, one former UFC title challenger has truly spoken out.

In an interview with Jordan Breen on the Sherdog Radio Network, former UFC heavyweight title challenger Jeff Monson (Pictures) spoke candidly on the subject of steroids and performancing enhancing substances in mixed martial arts.

When asked if he had ever used any illegal performance enhancers, the former ADCC grappling champion replied:

"It's hard to get to get to this level without having used something. When people ask me on the street or in the gym and they're polite about it, I'll tell 'em, and I've used things before. And it's been quite a while. Like I said, I've been tested for the last couple years in the UFC and I've been clean and will continue to be so. You just can't do it anymore. You just can't risk your career by taking something like that."

"You can have a great career and they find out you used, and then you have a black mark on you forever," continued Monson. "It's just not worth it. You can't do those things. You're playing kinda 'chemistry set' with your career and I don't think there's enough knowledge out there to be able to do that, unless you're like a doctor."

Monson was also asked for his thoughts as to how steroids and performance enhancing substances should be regulated by athletic commissions and other legislative bodies in the sport of mixed martial arts. Monson, a self-described anarchist, was particularly in favor of deregulation.

"If it were up to me everything would be legal," said the Washington native. "I don't think they should make anything illegal because you have fighters coming up or body builders or college players, whatever, using $400-500 a month worth of supplements a month that you get at GNC, then you got another guy coming up that can't afford that stuff, so you got an unlevel playing field with that."

"You have the pre-testosterone this and anabolic-booster that -- it's all legal," The Snowman continued. "To me, what's really the difference? That stuff is just as expensive as steroids anyway and not everyone can afford it, not everyone has access to that stuff. Just because it's legal or not legal, who determines that stuff? The government. Some guy in a suit that's never taken it, doesn't know anything about it."

Monson is scheduled to face fellow former UFC heavyweight title challenger Pedro Rizzo (Pictures) on Sept. 1 in the headlining bout of the pay-per-view card promoted by Art of War, in Dallas, Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible
      I know theres a few people on here that compete and more like me that have in the past. Theres far more of us that simply enjoy the whole science coupled with the activity of lifting weights and excercise.

The thing is unless its just me the sport seems to have been getting less and less credit in recent years. Whether its loui Theroux or similar documentaries that mock or the anabolic steriod association it seems to bare the brunt of most negative aspects associated with sport.

This is crazy when you consider that so many nutritional and athletic breakthroughs of performance in other sports were pioneered in bodybuilding.

Relative to other sports competitors are not nearly as well renumerated for the efforts they put in. So whwre is it going and how can it be improved?

1) Would introducing drug testing to the Mr Olympia give the sport more credit and make it seen as a good thing? before you blow me out here just consider that we all know other sports (which are tested) have many atheletes that use, but beat the test. Whether its becasue they only use peptides and slin or fast acting in and out metabolites, WE all know that its a sham when they claim these sports are drug free. But the difference is they are seen as a good thing, if your son says I want to be a; football player, tennis player, wrestler, rugby, baseball everyone would think yeah how great that would be, but then if their son said I want to be a bodybuilder everyone would just think 'steriods' bad stuff etc etc, so why not introduce testing and sell it as drug free

also think how much more competitors could make off modelling or endorsements if society had a more positive view

AAS plays a role in ALMOST every pro sport. Just a FACT.

Comment

If it weren't illegal then I think it should be allowed in any and all sports therefore creating a fair playing field. When using AS in moderation and under docs supervision you are making it as safe as it can be, notice I say "as it can be" because as we know it is a substance that does have its benefits and side effects, but if everyone was allowed to use it then the unfair playing field argument could be thrown out of the window, that being said, it will never happen. Every sport has its share of those who use but just don't get caught and I think it will always be this way and the unfair playing field argument will always be out there so there's no point in even jumping into this argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible

C'mon guys/girls - I want to know what you think about this - it's a damn good question...

Comment

Working...
          X