No announcement yet.

Math question in regards to dieting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math question in regards to dieting...

Okay you geniuses - what type of equation would I need to figure out how to hit a certain goal with one of my clients when cutting/bulking etc?

Here is an example - let's say I have a guy who is weighing in at 215 pounds with 9% bodyfat. He currently has 19.35 pounds of "fat" according to the math but what I want to know is how to calculate what he would weigh at 4% bodyfat without losing any muscle based upon his current size/weight etc. Maybe this doesn't make sense but to me it seems that if he is at 215 and 9% you can't simply say he needs to lose 10.75 pounds of his current bodyfat number because this would put him at 4% of his current weight and not his planned weight because as he drops weight his bodyfat percentage changes in relationship to this. I sure hope someone understands what I'm talking about and I darn sure hope that whoever does knows how to help.

I understand that if I have a client who wants to make a 198 weightclass with 4% bf that I can do the math for that goal. It would simply mean that my 215 pound guy would have to lose 11.43 pounds of bodyfat and the remaining weight would have to come from muscle (5.57 pounds) but what I'm shooting to understand/find is an equation that adjusts as each pound changes the relationship of overall weight to bodyfat percentage....

If you need more of an explanation please ask because it would really help me instead of just guessing - I'm also assuming the equation could be manipulated when doing the opposite and bulking but hoping to stay within some type of body composition goal?

I believe the answer you're looking for is 203.75.

Comment

215 * .09 = 19.35 lbs of fat, 215-19.35=195.7 lean weight
      or
      215 * .91 = 195.7 lean muscle

so
      you're asking 195.7 = ?*.04 or 195.7 =?*.96
      =
      195.7/.96=203.75

Comment

yea, what he said. ^ :D

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
          215 * .09 = 19.35 lbs of fat, 215-19.35=195.7 lean weight
          or
          215 * .91 = 195.7 lean muscle

so
          you're asking 195.7 = ?*.04 or 195.7 =?*.96
          =
          195.7/.96=203.75
          GOTCHA - thanks - I feel pretty stupid now seeing it all written out for me but let's give this one more "FH's a moron" point...

Let's say my guy is 215 at 9% and he wants to bulk to 240 but stay at 15% max - how much muscle and how much fat will he expect to gain?

Comment

Originally posted by fog_hat1981 View Post
            GOTCHA - thanks - I feel pretty stupid now seeing it all written out for me but let's give this one more "FH's a moron" point...

Let's say my guy is 215 at 9% and he wants to bulk to 240 but stay at 15% max - how much muscle and how much fat will he expect to gain?
            Well, you're allowing the BF% to increase from 9 - 15%, so I think it is easiest to say the following:

at 215, your guy has 19 lbs of fat & 195 lbs of lean muscle, so if you say at 240 he has 15% BF, then his fat weight is 36 lbs.

So 240 - 36 = 204 lean muscle which is a 8.5 lb. gain over the 195.6 lean weight. Also, a 17 lb fat gain.

Yeah, bitch aint it that gaining fat is sooo much easier. :)

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
              Well, you're allowing the BF% to increase from 9 - 15%, so I think it is easiest to say the following:

at 215, your guy has 19 lbs of fat & 195 lbs of lean muscle, so if you say at 240 he has 15% BF, then his fat weight is 36 lbs.

So 240 - 36 = 204 lean muscle which is a 8.5 lb. gain over the 195.6 lean weight. Also, a 17 lb fat gain.

Yeah, bitch aint it that gaining fat is sooo much easier. :)
              You rock bro - thanks a LOT - damn if I don't feel like a tool now though :P...

And to think - I'm a finance major with a damn good gpa.... --> --> SAD SAD SAD SAD :(

Comment

Working...
              X