Help for a friend who is competing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a friend who is competing...

I have a female friend who is competing soon and competition is not my strong point since I have never competed so I thought maybe some of you could help me with some advice for her...

Here is her diet for the week of the show:

meal 1 5oz tilapia 1/2 cup oats
    meal2 3oz tuna, 1tsp balsamic vinegar
    meal3 5oz chicken, 12 asparagus spears
    meal 4 5oz tilapia, 1 1/2 cups of green beans
    meal 5 3 wedges of grapefruit
    meal 6 5oz chicken, 2oz yam, 1 cup of green beans
    meal 7 5oz chicken
    meal 8 5 oz tilapia

And here is the breakdown:

total calories 1168
    fats 27g 20%
    carbs 48g 12%
    fiber 11g
    sugar 15g
    protein 199g 67%

She is competing in fitness not bodybuilding so although I don't know her actual height and weight I would guess her at about 5'0" and 110lbs, keep in mind this is a guess... and its a friend I haven't seen in person in a long time, just pics...

Any suggestions or help anyone can offer would be great. Thanks!

No one can offer any help for my friend.... Oh and she is 103lbs she told me but I was right about the height... 5'0"

Comment

i cant offer anything.

that amount of food is like rabbit feed to me. lol.

womens diet is just something i dont know. sorry.

Comment

Thanks for the reply anyway bro.... Can anyone offer help..

Comment

Originally posted by CrankinSteiN View Post
          Thanks for the reply anyway bro.... Can anyone offer help..
          pm redsquirel.

Comment

Sorry, Crank- got sick & then went out of town..,hope this isn't too late.

Ok- let's take a look here. Well, at first look, she has too many meals. I understand that she is only about 110, but that is a LOT of protein. And, the final week of the show, it doesn't make a bit of difference attempting to keep any muscle. In fact, even when bulking, I think I only ever ate about 1.5 gms of protein per lb of LBM- and that was for BBing. She is eating double her TOTAL weight in protein...Where are you getting the 27gms of fat? I don't really see it- the chicken is around 3 gms per 5oz, and the tilapia is almost nill. What's the reasoning behind the 3 wedges of grapefruit? Are you giving her this based on the fact that grapefruit has a little bit of fat burning abilities? How much water is she drinking this final week?

So, she's doing fitness and NOT figure? The fitness girls can usually be a touch harder than the figure girls.

Couple questions- are you having her do this diet the entire week? Will you be carb/sodium/water loading & depletion?
            Last edited by redsquirrel; 11-30-09, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I would have her cut carbs to 50 grams m-t-w. No leg work the final week. m-t-w several sets of exercise for each major upper body area. This helps to totally deplete glycogen.
              Thurs increase carbs to approx 200gms, pop tarts are great, then Friday carbs every couple of hours this fully loads the muscle with glygogen. Two schools of thought about fluid intake some restrict water Friday, but this can leave you flat. I drink a 12 pack of diet rite soda (no sodium) on friday, friday night I drink 4-5 beers or a bottle of wine, the alcohol suppress ADH (vasopressin) and you pretty much piss your excess fluid out.
              As for Na depletion/ Na loading it's hit or miss so I don't recommend it, unless a person has previously experimented with and knows as to how there body will react.

Comment

Originally posted by liftsiron View Post
                I would have her cut carbs to 50 grams m-t-w. No leg work the final week. m-t-w several sets of exercise for each major upper body area. This helps to totally deplete glycogen.
                Thurs increase carbs to approx 200gms, pop tarts are great, then Friday carbs every couple of hours this fully loads the muscle with glygogen. Two schools of thought about fluid intake some restrict water Friday, but this can leave you flat. I drink a 12 pack of diet rite soda (no sodium) on friday, friday night I drink 4-5 beers or a bottle of wine, the alcohol suppress ADH (vasopressin) and you pretty much piss your excess fluid out.
                As for Na depletion/ Na loading it's hit or miss so I don't recommend it, unless a person has previously experimented with and knows as to how there body will react.
                Lifts- really, no disrespect- but this school of thought doesn't work for most women. That recipe says that spilling over is very possible.

I understand why you do it, but in my experience- water is always restricted Friday & more on Saturday while loading earlier in the week. With restricted water & sodium but moderate carbs, the same effect of looking full is achieved.

Sodium depletion really works the same as the water & carb depletion. You load in the beginning of the week, and then restrict. It really doesn't have much to do with how an individuals reaction to the formula. It's pretty uniform how the body will react. When you are drinking a lot of water with a lot of sodium, your body flushes it out.

Comment

Originally posted by redsquirrel View Post
                  Lifts- really, no disrespect- but this school of thought doesn't work for most women. That recipe says that spilling over is very possible.

I understand why you do it, but in my experience- water is always restricted Friday & more on Saturday while loading earlier in the week. With restricted water & sodium but moderate carbs, the same effect of looking full is achieved.

Sodium depletion really works the same as the water & carb depletion. You load in the beginning of the week, and then restrict. It really doesn't have much to do with how an individuals reaction to the formula. It's pretty uniform how the body will react. When you are drinking a lot of water with a lot of sodium, your body flushes it out.
                  It worked for at least a dozen women that I have worked with, all have placed third or higher in their first show, meanwhile I have seen experienced competitors really mess up with the sodium loading BS. You said sodium depletion "really works the same as the water and carb depletion" so what differance does it make then doing one or the other. No one I work with cramps or passes out on stage. Normally when I compete I appear to be one of the dryer and more ripped guys on stage?????? Of course in order for my method to work you must be very lean to begin with.

Comment

It worked for at least a dozen women that I have worked with, all have placed third or higher in their first show, meanwhile I have seen experienced competitors really mess up with the sodium loading BS. You said sodium depletion "really works the same as the water and carb depletion" so what differance does it make then doing one or the other. No one I work with cramps or passes out on stage. Normally when I compete I appear to be one of the dryer and more ripped guys on stage?????? Of course in order for my method to work you must be very lean to begin with.
                    Because the sodium assists the carbs in filling the muscle with little chance for spilling. So, you can't do "one or the other". The method is successful when all 3 are manipulated. When I did my first show, I didn't experiment to see how my body would react, because there's nothing genetic about it; it's just science. Yet, it worked like a charm.

I'm not saying they cramp or pass out, but this is a female, and it's not bodybuilding. And furthermore, the female isn't going to be very lean if she's doing figure or bikini.

I know no nutrition coach that has any of their competitors- male or female, lean or fat- drinking a 12 pack of sodium free carbonated beverage the day before a show. I've heard of some unsuccessful ones who have their competitors eat a slice of cheesecake & a glass of red wine & then go to bed...I've also heard of ones who tell their clients to eat ice cream 2 days before.

Comment

Because the sodium assists the carbs in filling the muscle with little chance for spilling. So, you can't do "one or the other". The method is successful when all 3 are manipulated. When I did my first show, I didn't experiment to see how my body would react, because there's nothing genetic about it; it's just science. Yet, it worked like a charm.

I'm not saying they cramp or pass out, but this is a female, and it's not bodybuilding. And furthermore, the female isn't going to be very lean if she's doing figure or bikini.

I know no nutrition coach that has any of their competitors- male or female, lean or fat- drinking a 12 pack of sodium free carbonated beverage the day before a show. I've heard of some unsuccessful ones who have their competitors eat a slice of cheesecake & a glass of red wine & then go to bed...I've also heard of ones who tell their clients to eat ice cream 2 days before.
                      Because your unaware of something, means that it doesn't work? nice to True however both sodium and carbs draw water within the muscle, one reason why if water is restricted to much in the 24 hours prior a show the competitor is flat. I don't know where you compete but in shows I've been at both figure and bikini contestants need to be lean, especially figure, not bodybuilder cut but close.

Comment

Because your unaware of something, means that it doesn't work? nice to True however both sodium and carbs draw water within the muscle, one reason why if water is restricted to much in the 24 hours prior a show the competitor is flat. I don't know where you compete but in shows I've been at both figure and bikini contestants need to be lean, especially figure, not bodybuilder cut but close.
                        I may be unaware of your method, but you just because you don't agree with my method, doesn't mean it doesn't work either. To drink that much fluid the day before the show just seems completely outlandish to me, and definitely is not the standard.

Um, let's see- what shows do we compete in...I dunno- have you heard of the Beverly show in Northern Kentucky? How about Jr. Nationals or The North Americans? We have competitors from all 3 divisions: men's bbing, figure, and bikini. ALL of them have restricted water on Friday. And, ALL of them are lean to a different degree depending on their division. I don't appreciate that you're insinuating they aren't just because they aren't drinking a 12 pack of sodium free soda the day before.

Lastly, all of our 10 competitors have never been flat on stage. In fact, our most recent competitor just took 1st in bikini at North Americans. So, we obviously know WTF we're doing.

Comment

I may be unaware of your method, but you just because you don't agree with my method, doesn't mean it doesn't work either. To drink that much fluid the day before the show just seems completely outlandish to me, and definitely is not the standard.

Um, let's see- what shows do we compete in...I dunno- have you heard of the Beverly show in Northern Kentucky? How about Jr. Nationals or The North Americans? We have competitors from all 3 divisions: men's bbing, figure, and bikini. ALL of them have restricted water on Friday. And, ALL of them are lean to a different degree depending on their division. I don't appreciate that you're insinuating they aren't just because they aren't drinking a 12 pack of sodium free soda the day before.

Lastly, all of our 10 competitors have never been flat on stage. In fact, our most recent competitor just took 1st in bikini at North Americans. So, we obviously know WTF we're doing.
                          I have heard of the North Americans, a few years back I took second in my master's class. I never insinuated anything about the quality of competitor that comes from your gym, what I said is that sodium depletion/sodium loading can be very tricky for someone who is unfamiliar with how their body will react, especially for a first time competitor.
                          Last edited by liftsiron; 12-03-09, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X