Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF HAPPENED? Soft and swell goings-on at the 2013 Arnold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF HAPPENED? Soft and swell goings-on at the 2013 Arnold.

WTF HAPPENED?

Soft and swell goings-on at the 2013 Arnold.

By Peter McGough

With only Dexter Jackson from last year’s Mr. Olympia top six participating in the 2013 Arnold Classic, a range of cynics said the line-up for the 25th annual Lorimer/Schwarzenegger bash would be soft. Other’s said, no worries, it’ll be swell. In the end both contrasting views were right, as many of the 13 entrants were soft and missed their peak (including Dexter Jackson) and at least six showed up with midsections that were …. well, swell.

In regard to the distended bellies, it became somewhat of an epidemic in the mid 2000s, but these past few years it was not such a common sight; maybe one seen here and there in pro contests. Why suddenly the 2013 Arnold Classic line-up looked like a pre-natal clinic 8 1/2 months after the end of World War II is beyond moi. And Marcus Haley took the “If ya got it, flaunt it baby!” approach by during his routine several times deliberately pushing out his belly to extraordinary lengths. One braced oneself for a repeat of the most famous scene from Alien, or bodybuilding’s first onstage birth. Whatever, maybe the gut glut was a coincidence. There now follows a pregnant pause until someone comes up with the answer.

THE HARD (Sort Of) TRUTH.

On the reality of so many guys not being in top condition it is a fact that in recent years those hitting their peak in contests (pro and amateur) have been in the minority. The paradox is that increasingly over the years “condition” has come to be the deciding factor in contests. It is no longer just one part of the shape/proportion/development/condition assessment it is the pre-requisite for determining victory with the other three aspects taking secondary roles. The proof of conditioning taking pre-eminence over shape and proportion was proved by the freaky but hard Ben Pakulski beating X-Man Toney Freeman, and Cedric “More balanced than a Cirque du Soleil act” McMillan being marooned in sixth place. So if condition is now the ultimate arbiter, the question "Why do so many not hit their peak on contest day?" makes one’s head spin like Linda Blair in The Exorcist. It’s like LeBron James not practicing three pointers.

A personal opinion is that too many guys are striving so hard for condition that they do too much in the last couple of days leading up to a contest and fall short. One loses count of the number of competitors who look like they are spot-on 24 hours before the contest and then fade away by the time prejudging begins. Hate to speak percentages (but as the oil rigger said to the apprentice, “If the cap fits, wear it”), but consider the following. My feeling is that say a guy is at 98% the night before a contest, there's an overwhelming urge to go for 100%. Thus some eleventh hour alchemy takes place and quicker than you can say, "When I said I was going flat out for victory I didn’t mean this for Chrissake!" the guy is at 90% and out of the running. Twelve weeks of dieting gone in a puff of smoke and mirrors. Much better not to tinker and go forward confidently at 98%. Legendary soccer manager Brian Clough used to tell his Nottingham Forest (my home club) players, "Never try to make a good goal scoring chance, a better one." The canny Clough knew that trying to improve your chances, when a good one has already presented itself, all too often ends in failure.

PAST CONDITIONS

The following is not to suggest that present day bodybuilders are inferior to their predecessors, but it is true to say that overall they have not equaled the conditioning consistency achieved by guys from the '’80s and ‘90s like Haney, Gaspari, Labrada, Taylor, DeMey, Benfatto, Yates, Wheeler, Ray, Levrone, Cottrell and Cormier. Ask those guys their encapsulation of how they hit sinew-splitting condition and their consolidated simple answer will be, "We suffered."

That looks painful. I bet Arnold watches the show and just laughs .

Comment

Ok cool article, and it poses a lot of questions, but no answers???
      What changed so drastically in conditioning from the 80s to now that people are suddenly developing GH gut to this extent??

Comment

Guts must DIE!!! lolol

Comment

I think this may be taking it a bit to far though. lol

Comment

Shawn Ray responds directly to Marcus Haley about his gut. Telling it like it is!

Your Gut is what really hurt you in the end.

Throughout the contest your stomach was out of control and had a mind of its own because you never took control of it.

It distracted from an otherwise valiant return to the stage, of course there were other things that hurt you but none as glaring as your stomach distention and you will have to learn to control it in order to avoid more criticism.

Everyone was Cheering for you and everyone was taking about your stomach.

We always attack the One who points out our Flaws because it is exactly our Flaws that hold is back.

Comment

Side note: Darrem Charles (guy on the right) is exactly how a bodybuilder should look from the side!!

Comment

Marcus used to be my trainer for a few months back in 2004. He looked much better then.

Comment

Working...
                X