Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Weider dead

Can't believe people are saying it was steroid abuse! Guy was 93 FFS

Where did you hear that from? I couldn't find anything about in when I did a search and his website has nothing about his death.
    Joe Weider - Official Website of Joe Weider

Comment

I'm in the know bro just accept the sad news

Comment

May he Rest In Protein.

Comment

Wonder what happens with the olympia?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
            It will go on as usual. He sold it to muscletech years and years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST View Post
              It will go on as usual. He sold it to muscletech years and years ago.
              I guess your in the know so I'll just accept that, nice scalectric by the way

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                Scrap it. Start new.:thumup:

Comment

He has been on death bed for like 3 years.lol. who cares guy was older then dirt.

Comment

Without him you wouldn't have the olympia, or arnold as we know him

Comment

JOE WEIDER 1919-2013
                      The Father of Bodybuilding Passes

By Peter McGough

What a sad, sad day. It hardly seems possible that Joe Weider is no longer with us. Although he had been ill for some time it’s still a shuddering shock to learn that he passed away this morning, March 23. Of all, his accomplishments a personal feeling is that the word that describes him best is “visionary”. For over 70 years he preached that a bodybuilding lifestyle was a healthy pursuit for everyone.

In the July 1950 issue of Your Physique Joe authored the by now iconic I Predict, in which he made ten predictions for the future. Reading them today is astonishing, because at the time they were written they would've been massive flights of fancy to scientists, the sporting community and the general populace. And yet all those predictions have come true. Not some of them, not most of them, all of them. Like Alexander Graham Bell testing his first phone, Joe called it.

Such prophetic skills are the mark of a true visionary. And Joe's whole life has been about making visions and ideas a reality. We all hear tales of kids from poor backgrounds making it big in industry, commerce or show biz, but those fields already existed. Joe's story is different. By sheer force of will, he and his brother Ben barreled their way out of the ghettos of Montreal and created, from nothing, a sport and an industry that had no template or previous foundation.

Against that background of accomplishments, it's only right and fitting that Joe is regaled as the Father of Bodybuilding. His 1940 immersion into publishing was the clarion call for turning bodybuilding competitions (which, in those days, were held at midnight in drafty church halls after weightlifting events) into a true sport. Then he proceeded to pioneer the manufacture of sports supplements, which today is a business that drives the whole sport. That really is the work of a visionary.

Thinking of Joe on this day, as I’m sure millions now are, it is impossible to generalize: We all have a personal memory and a debt we owe to Joe. So indulge me as I speak about the Joe Weider I know – I refuse to say knew.

As a youth in the early '60s, my interest in the subject of physical culture was first tweaked by way of the Superman comics, which used to have a Weider ad in the back. Anyone remember the phrase, "Be a Weider Wildcat, baby!” Seeing those ads, I was amazed at the arms of Freddy Ortiz and, later, those personifications of California beach muscle--Dave Draper and Larry Scott. To a young Brit living in northern European climes, the weather seemed heavenly, the bodybuilders like gods. But, elevated above even their celestial level, on an altogether different plane, was Joe Weider. To me, the name had a Zeus-like quality to it. Joe was the god of gods.

Comment

Always remember him plastering his face on robby robinsons body for all the ads in the mags.

Comment

10 Predictions he made back in 1950. Here they are.

I PREDICT
                          Joe Weider’s Predictions from 1950

In the July 1950 issue of Your Physique Joe authored the by now iconic I Predict, in which he made ten predictions for the future. Reading them today is astonishing, because at the time they were written they would've been massive flights of fancy to scientists, the sporting community and the general populace. Like Alexander Graham Bell testing his first phone, Joe called it.

PREDICTION 1
                          I PREDICT that civilization will speed up in every phase and that the stresses and strains on mankind will continue to increase.

PREDICTION 2
                          I PREDICT that the resulting increase in mental and physical illness will force the world to recognize the importance of systematic exercise and physical activities to prevent and combat the evils of civilization.

PREDICTION 3
                          I PREDICT that bodybuilding will become the chief form of systematic exercise and physical activity and that it will come to be looked upon as one of the greatest forces in the field of preventive medicine.

PREDICTION 4
                          I PREDICT that a full realization of the importance of muscular development will sweep the world and that the sport of bodybuilding will grow by leaps and bounds.

PREDICTION 5
                          I PREDICT that the principles of good bodybuilding, which include balanced diets, adequate sleep, plenty of fresh air, ample sunshine, and regular workouts, will become basic principles of living.

PREDICTION 6
                          I PREDICT that bodybuilding will become the stepping-stone to every other sport and physical activity.

PREDICTION 7
                          I PREDICT that the art of relaxation, which is one of the fundamental principles in bodybuilding, will become more and more important as the tensions increase and that relaxation will be universally taught and advocated.

PREDICTION 8
                          I PREDICT that bodybuilding will spread to every corner of the world and that it will one day be recognized as the king of all sports and physical activities.

PREDICTION 9
                          I PREDICT that those who practice bodybuilding will live healthier, happier and more useful lives.

PREDICTION 10
                          I PREDICT that bodybuilding will one day become one of the greatest forces in existence and that it may be hailed as the activity which actually saved civilization from itself.

Comment

I predict he said virtually the same prediction eight times.

Comment

Most of his 10 statements are utter rubbish. Replace "bodybuilding" by "weight training" and it makes much more sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X