Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Freeman leaves IFBB

Toney Freeman joins NSL!

Real talk here, no hate, I've always been a freeman fan but lets be honest here.

He's getting older and he's going down hill lately. His last few shows have been some of his lowest placings of his career.

Instead of being a nobody in the IFBB as he moves forward this feels like he's trying to be a big fish in a small pond by moving to much smaller organization that 99% of people never heard of.

Am I off base here?

Comment

Good for him. I respect him and he's been a great ambassador for the BBing community. When I met him through a mutual friend, he was such a nice humble guy and massively large. Not sure I've ever seen anyone ever that large.

Comment

Yeah met him too, very amenable and receptive and complementary to people.

You may be right B but alongside this I've seen the likes of branch Warren place way higher than they should have. So I think there is favouritism going on and it's probably towards the more actively marketable types. X man is a quiet guy so his face doesn't fit.

He probably has dropped off a bit he's 50, so if he can move to a friendlier environment and get paid well more power to him.

I remember back in the day; Berry de Mey, eddie Robinson, mike quin and Gary strydom moving off to vince McMahon s organisation way back and they were paid up to $400,000 contracts.

Alongside this I'm wondering whether the Olympia is turning people off. There have been many foul placings in the past and it's not clear if Kai will do it again.

As for the IFBB generally they need to get their shit together and take care of athletes better just like the UFC should. These are high risk big effort sports and athletes are treat like a simple commodity.

Comment

Remember cutler got ripped off twice at the O, so did Victor. Funny thing, one year thry brought in testing for a certain diuretic and cutler got caught, they were looking at taking action but this being jc penny he got his lawyers involved and basically threatened to sue the ifbb. They backed down

Comment

good point about people like branch.

i agree also on the olympia vibe. doesn't feel right. phil heeath is bad for bodybuilding IMO. not that he isn't worthy but his attitude is the complete opposite so someone like Ronnie, Ruhl, Dorian etc.. guys who inspire and make bodybuilding fun.

Comment

I didn't realise until recently that Dorian also was offered by McMahon

He also met with arnold to discuss doing the AC but Dorian decided not to

Comment

TONEY FREEMAN FINDS NSPIRATION
                BY JOINING NSPIRE SPORTS LEAGUE

Bodybuilding Icon to Compete in NSL and Serve as Brand Ambassador
                Thursday, April 7, 2016- Los Angeles, CA--Three months into their inaugural season, Nspire Sports League (NSL) is pleased to announce that iconic bodybuilder and former IFBB icon competitor, Toney “The X-Man” Freeman is joining the new organization. Announced today NSL commissioner, Lee Thompson, Freeman will compete in the NSL’s pro league and also serve as a brand ambassador for the league at live events and across social media platforms.

Freeman is the most high profile and decorated bodybuilder to join the NSL since the league was formed in December of 2015. “The X-Man” has more than 70 professional shows on his resume, highlighted by placing 5-times in the Mr. Olympia competition, and 3-times at the Arnold Classic. Freeman first started competing as an amateur in 1989 before turning pro in 2002. Known for his “X-Frame” and classic bodybuilding style, Freeman became one of the sports visible stars for what he has accomplished as a competitor, his one-to-one mentoring of other athletes, and his on-going commitment of teaching high level total health and fitness to fans who seek out his services.

Thompson said, “I have always respected Toney’s presence both on and off the stage. When we first created NSL, Toney was someone we wanted to compete under our banner because he embodies our goals and values. His exuberant personality transcends the fitness community and he is a proven problem solver whose unlimited resources will only further attract competitors and fans to the events and competitions that we are putting on.”

Freeman “I reached a crossroad in my life and decided that it was time for a change. After much thought, prayer, and discussions with my family, I have decided to control my brand in an environment that supports a shared economy with the athlete. With the NSL, I will have a platform where I will be able to advocate for my personal interests and focus on the passion that I have for the sport. Like Jackie Robinson, I’m being a trailblazer for the athletes, fans—the entire sport!"

With 2-3 North American events per month, the NSL is built on the principles that have been lacking in the bodybuilding world and competing organizations: Equality, Opportunity and Transparency. This foundation provides stability for athletes to compete in fair competitions that feature competitive divisions and class that align with their goals. The NSL’s format allows fans to get the best in class the fitness world has to offer against the backdrop of an organization that supports their competitors and the demands they put on their body.

Comment

LOL @ Palumbo bitching. He says "Freeman wont be in the IFBB hall of fame now"... bwahahahahha. Who gives a flying fuck about the ifbb hall of fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-Ir4XfvH0

Comment

Well that went nowhere...

Guy who wrote the article sounds like a bit of a hater but still, i don't think anyone thought Toney would do much in some no name organization. Especially with the state of bodybuilding.

Toney Freeman Leaves The NSL

by Matt Weik

I must admit, when I heard the news that Toney Freeman was leaving NSL I did indeed chuckle. Not because he left the IFBB for “greener pastures” but rather because not only did he give the interview to Muscular Development, who is under serious fire right now in the industry, but because he also talked about coming back (possibly) to the IFBB and competing in the Men’s Classic Physique division. Maybe father time has some more left in the tank? Or has he gone completely senile in his old age?

Will she forgive her “X-Man?”

When Toney Freeman left the IFBB to make the switch to NSL, many people already said it would be the last we would hear from Toney. I was one of those people. I’d like to say I was correct. Once at NSL, it was like the industry shunned him and completely forgot he existed. Was this his fault? Maybe? Maybe not? Only Toney and a few others truly know what happened when he jumped ship. Does Toney regret the move? It sure sounds like it. Does his departure from NSL tarnish the new organization in any way? Absolutely not. They are now a freestanding organization that is holding their own just like all the other fitness and bodybuilding organizations out there like NABBA, WBFF, and others. But will the IFBB welcome The X-Man back with open arms?

It doesn’t appear that the IFBB enjoyed the fact that Toney left them last year—and rightfully so, they were the ones who put him on the map as a professional bodybuilder. Toney was pretty critical about some issues with the IFBB and wasn’t afraid to share them. But the question arises, is Toney all there upstairs to think the IFBB wants him back at this point? Sure, he could compete in Classic Physique if he wants, but at his age, how much does he have left in the tank and will his body hold up over time trying to get back on stage? I’m not even sure when the last time anyone has seen him in stage-shape? Not only that, but Toney would need to make weight in order to compete in Classic Physique, which might not be the easiest of tasks for him to complete. He also hinted that it would be nice if the IFBB created another weight class for Classic Physique with a “wink-wink” as if asking them to do so. Something tells me the IFBB isn’t going to bend over backwards to get Toney competing in the IFBB once again. And honestly, I think his ship has sailed. That’s not be being harsh or critical—in my opinion it’s just the reality of things as they stand right now.

I’ve always respected Toney Freeman and thought he had an amazing physique. In fact, many others share the same sentiment. He had one of the best frames on stage, hence giving him the nickname “The X-Man.” We pretty much always knew how he would look on stage, similar to a Dexter Jackson. While he wasn’t placing very well in shows, his conditioning was respectable for someone his age in the sport of bodybuilding. The last time Toney stepped on an IFBB stage was in 2013 at the Mr. Olympia contest where he placed 15th. His last win was back in 2011 at the Europa Super Show in Dallas, TX.

What would I do if I were Toney?

While every respectable cowboy wants to ride off into the sunset, I don’t think that’s going to happen with Toney. Nor do I think he will ever jump on stage again. I could be wrong, but factoring in that he’ll never place well in an IFBB Men’s Open contest, I doubt he will ever go back to his roots of bodybuilding. Could he give it a shot in Classic Physique? He could, but it all depends on if he can drop weight to do so, and even then, at that point what would he even look like? Toney’s not getting any younger and as we know with age, it gets harder and harder to come into shows dialed in.

Here comes the moment of truth… What would I do in his shoes? Honestly, I’d just take off my shoes and put my feet up. Retire. Hang up the posing trunks and call it a day. He’s had a great career. It’s been one heck of a ride. He doesn’t have anything left to prove. Maybe do some guest posing if he really wants to entertain his fans and the fans of bodybuilding. But, take your time and figure out what your next step is. There’s no reason to jump right into something just because you have the urge to do so. We tend to make poor decisions when we are irrational and don’t think through a situation. Strategically plan your next move and be methodical about it.

Right now, Toney is a brand ambassador for Pruvit who makes ketone-based products. I’m sure he’s getting a decent paycheck from them and I’m sure he can do some other side work in the industry being a judge, or putting on his own shows and being a promoter. If he truly loves this industry and still wants to be a part of it, he’ll find a new home somewhere to help the sport of bodybuilding.

I truly wish Toney the best. He’s been entertaining to watch throughout his career and his posing always electrified the crowd. Take some time to back away from the industry and see if you miss it. If you do, work your way back in by possibly getting back into the good graces of the IFBB. The way you went out definitely left a bad taste not only in the mouth of the organization, but also the fans of the sport. You’re known as IFBB Pro Toney “The X-Man” Freeman. And you will always be known as that. The next step in your life and career is in your hands. Don’t let anyone sway you into thinking you need to do x, y, or z. Finish the way you want to finish and be happy with that decision whatever it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X