Meat plant must be held accountable for corona outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat plant must be held accountable for corona outbreak

The owners of Europe’s largest meat-processing plant must be held to account for a mass coronavirus outbreak that has infected more than 1,500 of its workers, Germany’s labour minister has said.
    Hubertus Heil said an entire region had been “taken hostage” by the factory’s failure to protect its employees, most of whom come from Romania and Bulgaria.

Germany’s coronavirus reproduction or R rate leapt to 2.88 over the weekend largely as a result of the outbreak at the plant at Gütersloh in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW). About 7,000 people have been sent into quarantine as a result of the outbreak, and schools and kindergartens in the region that had been gradually reopened have been forced to close until at least after the summer holidays.
    Health authorities have accused Tönnies, the family-run business that owns the plant, of breaking regulations around physical distancing that were introduced to dampen the spread of coronavirus. Authorities say Tönnies has also been reluctant to give them access to workers’ contact details, allegedly hampering the tracking and tracing of the workers and their contacts. Tönnies said delays in handing over personnel data had been due to Germany’s strict data protection laws.
    Poor conditions in meat plants fuel Covid-19 outbreaks, say unions
    Clemens Tönnies, the company’s billionaire CEO, held a press briefing at the weekend at which he apologised for his company’s management of the crisis, and said it would take “full responsibility” for what had to be done to combat it. Within his own family there have also reportedly been attempts to oust him from his role. He has ruled out resigning.

Heil said trust in the company was “precisely zero”, accusing Tönnies of endangering not only its workers but also public health in general. Authorities in the region are considering introducing curfews in the vicinity in an effort to stop the virus from spreading further. The 17.93 million population of NRW, Germany’s most populous state, may have to be placed under a fresh lockdown, Armin Laschet, the state leader, said.
    “It cannot be ruled out at the moment,” he said.
    “We have closed schools and kindergartens, which is the first stage in a lockdown, and we will examine other measures in the coming days,” Laschet added.
    The developments have been described as a massive psychological blow for the state’s citizens who like elsewhere in Germany had been adjusting to an easing of lockdown rules in recent weeks. Heil said he could understand the “level of fury” in the region.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I don't know about you bori but this mother fucken virus is getting on my foooooken nerves

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

See, this is the difference between a country run by a quantum chemist and one run by a circus clown.

When there was the outbreak in the meat processing plant in Germany, they shut down the whole town and quarantined everyone to contain the virus.

When the same thing happened in South Dakota, the governor refused to impose any restrictions, and the damn thing started spreading.

Now they are talking about the EU banning travel from the US. Total fuckup over here and the idiot in the White House keeps saying everything is hunky dory.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
        See, this is the difference between a country run by a quantum chemist and one run by a circus clown.

When there was the outbreak in the meat processing plant in Germany, they shut down the whole town and quarantined everyone to contain the virus.

When the same thing happened in South Dakota, the governor refused to impose any restrictions, and the damn thing started spreading.

Now they are talking about the EU banning travel from the US. Total fuckup over here and the idiot in the White House keeps saying everything is hunky dory.
        Your the type that wears a mask just to spite trump...

Comment

It has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with good science and common decency.

This is what we get when people are selfish bastards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_231019.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1000383

Comment

What was the point of the shut down lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              What was the point of the shut down lol

We did a half-assed job. For all the talk about rugged individualism blah, blah, bottom line is that we behaved like selfish pricks, refusing to accept short-term personal sacrifice for long-term collective benefit, and the government did *nothing* to help. We would be a laughing stock of the world if this was something to laugh at. Right now, we can only elicit pity. India, Brazil, Russia, US. The four countries where the virus is out of control. Two of them have huge populations with grinding poverty, a perfect breeding ground. One is a failed state. What excuse do we have?

Comment

Well there will be a 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and god knows how many waves until we get a vaccine.
                We just need to live our lives.
                Problem is this shit is pretty contagious we just lucky this thing is not like ebola

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                  It has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with good science and common decency.

This is what we get when people are selfish bastards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_231019.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1000383
                  Wow

Comment

Originally posted by boricuarage79 View Post
                    Wow

FREEDOM!