Investing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investing

Do any of you invest? Looking for a few tips.

I think Bouncer does. I'm sure he'll be along soon to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by CallahanRep View Post
      Do any of you invest? Looking for a few tips.
      you may think i'm being a smart ass here and that i'm joking but i'm absolutely not.

If you are new to trading the stock market, this is the only video you need to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

buy every single sell off. especially tech. something like XLK. never ever go all in. you always want to be able to buy big sell offs. the goal always being to lower your cost average in strong companies.

getting rich quick will not happen. the second you try you will lose big.

that's all you need to know.

Comment

All I will say is, put away the maximum possible into your 401K. 10%, 12%, whatever the maximum allowed is. Don't wait until you are 40 years old. I put in 10% every paycheck from my first paycheck at age 25-ish. Still do. Shouldn't have any issues retiring with 6 figure retirement income next year.

Comment

I agree with everything said here. If your talking retirement investing, Scrum makes great points, I too put 10% in every paycheck and it's diverse. I go a bit more risky because I'm only 32 years old. Depending on your age, you will want to invest differently (or when you plan to retire). Definitely put in as much as your company matches (of they do that and you have that option). As far as going on your own and wanting to start investing (non-retirement) I would research and take the tips Bouncer said. Right now with our economy going up and down, there will be BIG ROI's made! Buy when the market is bleeding and it's plummetting....everybody says to do this but only few actually do it, because it goes against all your good instincts. Set aside your money to invest like it's gambling money...you have to detach the emotional connection from yourself to your money. Look at it like it's an object or a tool rather than a part of you. Then invest with your head, not your heart. Robinhood is an app that you could get started with that is free to trade. Also look into Bitcoin.

Comment

very well said both of you. great advice. if you actually follow these rules you will do well. but actually following these rules can be very very hard. when you buy something and your down 25-30% it can be very very hard to continue to buy more as it's crashing day after day or even week after week. but you need to change your perspective. instead of seeing equities crashing in the red and panicking you need to see it as an opportunity. imagine a car you've always wanted suddenly being on sale by 30% or more. you should be salivating not panicking.

this comes with an important caveat though. what i'm talking about above are strong companies. companies that put the risk to reward ratio in your favor. if some dogshit company is down 80% over the past 5 years this is not the type of company i'm talking about when i say "buy the dip". buying some dog shit weed company like tilray for example that is down like 90% is pure gambling and you can absolutely lose everything no matter how cheap you think you're buying.

same goes for bitcoin. if you buy, only buy after big crashes. never chase it up. it will punish you if you do. bitcoin tends to do nothing for long periods and then explode up or down. if it explodes to the downside this is the time to buy as the bounces in bitcoin when it's oversold can be epic.

last point. when stocks are crashing EVERYONE will tell you to sell. the "news" is the biggest offender of this. almost like clockwork when the news is maximum bearish and everything is negative that is exactly the moment you should be buying. likewise when the news and everyone in the world is telling you how great everything is, take caution. also realize that in the financial world, "news" is always way behind. by the time something makes a headline it already too late to act. if you try to trade a headlines you absolutely will lose every time.

Comment

to add. day trading is almost never worth it. swing trading or trend trading however can be very much worth it. these kinds of trends or swings can be weeks, months, or years. the trend or shift from oil to electric for example.Tesla the other day overtook Exxon in marketcap. don't take that as permission to buy tesla right now though. that is a company that may very well change the world. but the risk to reward right now is not in your favor. it's due for a strong pull back.

Comment

last tip i promise. the market is designed to transfer wealth from the impatient to the patient. from the emotional to the unemotional. if you lose your head for even a minute the market will pounce on you like a fucken lion on a zebra. people can and do get seriously wrecked when they underestimate how brutal the market can be.

Comment

hint... buy walmart now. this stock will run hard regardless of what happens with the economy and this new service being launched has an excitement in the air which will continue to pump this stock on hype alone. they are in a unique position that even amazon can't compete with. i can see this stock easily doubling in the next 18 months.. they are building an ecosystem rooted in online services that will change the game for this company.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...petitor-2020-7

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                    hint... buy walmart now. this stock will run hard regardless of what happens with the economy and this new service being launched has an excitement in the air which will continue to pump this stock on hype alone. they are in a unique position that even amazon can't compete with. i can see this stock easily doubling in the next 18 months.. they are building an ecosystem rooted in online services that will change the game for this company.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...petitor-2020-7
                    walmart up 7% since I posted this. has a lot more to run. pay attention people. launch is imminent. this stock will be seen more as a tech stock as the company transforms. tech stocks trade at much higher multiples.

teaser site launched.

https://www.walmart.com/plus?irgwc=1...sz00&sharedid=

Comment

Working...
                    X