Google is adding end-to-end encryption to Android Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google is adding end-to-end encryption to Android Messages

Google is upping the security for at least some of the conversations on its Messages app by adding end-to-end encryption.

It will be rolling out end-to-end encryption on Messages, starting with one-on-one conversations between people using the Rich Communication Services-based version of the app.

"End-to-end encryption ensures that no one, including Google and third parties, can read the content of your messages as they travel between your phone and the phone of the person you're messaging," the company explained.

"We recognize that your conversations are private and it's our responsibility to keep your personal information safe."

The end-to-end encryption will roll out to beta testers beginning this month and continue into next year, the company said, and eligible conversations will automatically upgrade to the new level of security, although this encryption will only be available when both people in the conversation have Messages installed and chat features on.

Google has been gradually rolling out RCS, the successor to SMS, which aims to bring to texting the same sorts of features you'd find in chat apps like Apple's iMessage and WhatsApp.

The company has been working with device makers and mobile operators to encourage them to offer the richer features available as result of the shift to RCS, like sending and receiving better quality photos and videos, chatting over Wi-Fi or data, and knowing when your message has been read. The advertising giant said it has now completed the global rollout of chat features and that anyone using Messages should now have access to these additional features, either from their phone company or from Google.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google...-messages-app/

Good start, although I don't know how much to trust these big companies.

​​​​Now Google, Apple, and the handset companies need to get together and standardize the protocols so that Google Messages, iMessage, etc. can maintain ete encryption across platforms.

Comment

Yea the cross platform would be amazing.

Comment

Are you running Messages with RCS? Works pretty well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          Are you running Messages with RCS? Works pretty well for me.
          is that an option to turn on in settings? i can't find it.

Comment

If you click on the 3 dots and go into settings, does the first option you have on the top say "Chat features?"

Comment

This is what my settings screen looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-21-14-03-56-075_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1005212

Comment

This is what my settings screen looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-21-14-03-56-075_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1005212
                yea i got all that. what am i looking for once i click chat features? for me it just says status connected and lists my number and a bunch of seeings. i dont see anything specifically relating to "RCS".

Comment

Then you are set. Text someone else with google Messages and you should be able to see then responding in real time. It will show things like "John is typing" or whatever.

Comment

Then you are set. Text someone else with google Messages and you should be able to see then responding in real time. It will show things like "John is typing" or whatever.
                    oh yea, iv'e had that for awhile. i thought you were saying the new encryption had already been added to yours. my mistake.

Comment

Working...
                    X