Getting Old Is Terrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Old Is Terrible

My Grandmother is 90 and she's always been sharp as a nail. She was the type of woman that loved playing the piano and had a massive collection of National Geographic magazines spanning something like 40 years. I remember looking at all the pictures of pyramids or rare animals as a kid in amazement. Probably where my love of all things history and science came from.

Anyway... over the last few years her mind has slowly faded to the point now where she just talks gibberish. Yesterday she fell and broke her pelvis and femur.

Slowly losing all sense of herself and her dignity. No way to live.

My grandfather on the other hand died at 84 still with mind and body intact. He was cutting the grass the day he died and had gone for ice cream the day before with his Boston Terrier. That's the way to go out. Fuck lingering on until you're nothing but a pulse, weak bones, and old skin..

Sorry to hear that bro..my mom turns 80 in may..I got a call last night she fell in shower and broke her leg...she refuses to move in..wants her independence sti...

Comment

Really sorry to hear that. Yeah I have no issue with being in pain etc myself I just get angry, but I find it harder to see loved ones in pain.

Comment

Kinda shitty you made the old fella cut your grass.

But glad you enjoyed the ice cream.

Comment

Yeah, that's tough. Dementia is a hell of a condition. Brutal for the person and brutal for everyone around them.

My mother passed away last year. She was getting weaker for a couple of months. Then, one day, she woke up, had her morning coffee, and collapsed. Gone 5 minutes later. I'd rather go that way than be in a hospital bed for months, or have to be fed and cleaned by someone else.

Comment

I can relate as just a week ago my 89yr old Nana was transported as she went unconscious . Later determined was on account of her fading heart . Now back at home but needs part time supervision . In lieu of moving into assisted living center this loving responsibility falls to myself and her surviving adult children.

Her husband, my P-pop, passed in 2013 at age of 89 . His dementia grew ever worse and eventually passed in a warm hospital bed surrounded by loved ones .

I feel for you

In closing I believe we now have a better understanding of health living that leads into a more healthy longevity. Those of us who eat well , train, and so on will more than likely have less ailments

Comment

So sorry to hear that brother. I watch the people around me getting older and weaker can’t help thinking about the inevitable. We are all heading the same direction.
              But on a side not I don’t think I’ll be seeing my seventies because I’m back to my old ways of flying down to mountain and falling every once in a while. Ok ok I fall pretty often. Lmao.
              But at least these days I am better prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST View Post
                So sorry to hear that brother. I watch the people around me getting older and weaker can’t help thinking about the inevitable. We are all heading the same direction.
                But on a side not I don’t think I’ll be seeing my seventies because I’m back to my old ways of flying down to mountain and falling every once in a while. Ok ok I fall pretty often. Lmao.
                But at least these days I am better prepared.
                My grandmother said "who's the faggot in the picture"..

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

My grandmother said "who's the faggot in the picture"..
                  Tell her the truth!
                  It’s the guy that bangs you in the ass every night.

Comment

Working...
                  X