Gonna Give T-Mobile 5G Home Internet a Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna Give T-Mobile 5G Home Internet a Try

300mb per second in my area. $60 bucks a month. That includes all fees and taxes. No caps, no throttling no matter how much data you use etc..

I'm pretty close to a 5G tower so they seem pretty confident I will have zero issue with connectivity. I already have google fi for my phone service and they actually use T-Mobile 5G towers. On my phone I average like 350mbps so that's pretty blazing for a flat $60 a month no hidden fees or caps..

At those speeds you should be able to stream 4k on multiple tv's at once no problem. We shall see if it holds up to the hype. Just plug and play. Nothing to install. Just a 5G Router they send via UPS. Will have it tomorrow. No contracts, no hidden fees etc.. If it sucks I just send back the router free of charge and cancel the service. Nothing to lose. Will not cancel my current internet service until I have fully test this for at least a few weeks at all times of day and night.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/t...ernet-service/

I'm interested to see what your experience is. Do you have a site with maps of tower locations?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      I'm interested to see what your experience is. Do you have a site with maps of tower locations?
      I don't know of a site off hand scrum. I only know I'm close to the tower because of my phone which always has a strong 5G signal with the upper range speed of what most are getting. I'm assuming it will be the same with the home internet router.

I will definitely post an update once i get it running.

Comment

scrum, not sure how helpful this is or if it just tells everyone their location 5G quality is "excellent". hard to trust since it's their own website tracker but it has proven true for me in terms of my phones signal strength. still waiting for UPS to deliver my 5G router. unfortunately it was sent from the east coast via ground service so it won't be here until Monday.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

Comment

I'm interested to see what your experience is.
          so far so good scrum. i plugged it in. got the password from the bottom of the router, found the network name on all my devices and logged in. peaks at 300mbps, average is 150mbps, lowest I've seen is 105mbps. all are more than fast enough to stream 4k on multiple devices with room to spare. (I've done it). even with 3 devices streaming 4k i tested internet speed and it was still 30mbps. plenty fast enough to zip around the internet even with 3 other 4k devices in use.

I've had zero disconnects. so far so good!

one thing i will say. i read the reviews before i got it. the instructions tell you to download an app to set it all up. dont. apparently its a cluster fuck and you don't need it anyway. it's already turned on by the time it arrives at you door. just plug it in, find the network on devices and enter the pass on the bottom of 5g router. your all set.

i want to use it through the weekend and see if there is any issue with more people on the network streaming and slowing my connection or anything like that. if there is no issue over the weekend I will call up and cancel my old internet provider and take back the old junky equipment that they were charging me a "maintenance" AND rental fee. fucken thieves. i'm so looking forward to a flat $60 bill with everything included within that $60 including taxes. love it.

I have the router in a corner of the house with windows on both sides of it elevated on a table. you will have to play around to see which area of the house is best for you. once you find it, all you need is a power outlet. nothing else to plug in.

will update after the weekend.

Comment

This is what I need right now for work from home set up.

Comment

My wife voted it down until the pandemic is over lol... we are so dependent on our internet service as is everyone else, I imagine, for remote work, school, etc., the last thing we need is internet downtime. Our Spectrum wireless works fine, so I am ok waiting a bit.

Comment

My wife voted it down until the pandemic is over lol... we are so dependent on our internet service as is everyone else, I imagine, for remote work, school, etc., the last thing we need is internet downtime. Our Spectrum wireless works fine, so I am ok waiting a bit.
                Yea I understand. Especially because it's really a location thing. If you don't have good coverage it may be spotty I don't know.

For me it's been flawless and consistent. Never seen speeds below 100mbps at any time.

Comment

Speed has never been an issue for me. We get over 200 Mbps consistently with our Spectrum cable. I just ran a speed test while I had 4 Zoom sessions running (me and my wife for work and my sons for their college and HS classes) and I still got great speed on my phone.

​​​​​
                  ​​​​​​
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210422_111743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.6 KB ID:	1007876

Comment

Speed has never been an issue for me. We get over 200 Mbps consistently with our Spectrum cable. I just ran a speed test while I had 4 Zoom sessions running (me and my wife for work and my sons for their college and HS classes) and I still got great speed on my phone.

​​​​​
                    ​​​​​​
                    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210422_111743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.6 KB ID:	1007876
                    Sure but is it $60 a month flat fee? Exactly. Bitch. :D

Comment

Just an update 10 days in. everything works perfectly. lowest I've seen is around 115mbps but that's rare. highest I've seen is 500mbps but that is also rare. it spends most of it's time in the 200mbps to 300mbps range.

we have Ratched on netflix playing on the tv in 4k and I just did a speed test on the computer to see the speed while we have another device using the internet. not bad at all. can't beat this speed for a $60 flat fee per month. no caps, no throttling, no limits. in 10 days I've already used over a terabyte of date lmao. on comcast and many other cable companies I would be charged overage fees and throttling would be put in place. all the while they average in the $100 per month range...

Comment

Pretty good for $60 bucks. Heck, pretty good for any price lol... I pay $75 /mo for mine.

Comment

Pretty good for $60 bucks. Heck, pretty good for any price lol... I pay $75 /mo for mine.
                          do they have any overage fees or throttling once you hit a certain amount of data used?

Comment

just gonna post a speed test every few days at random times from the same google speed test that pops up at the top when you search "speed test" in google. different tests produce different speeds depending on all kinds of shit so I'm sticking with the google one.

just to serve as a reminder for myself to see if speeds are constant over time at random points in the day.

test for today:

Comment

I'm easily going to be averaging 2 terabytes per month based on current usage stats. that is WAY over most ISP data caps where they throttle you or charge you overage fees. will be interesting to see if TMobile stays true to their word over time. if all the sudden my speeds get cut in half we will know. they swear up and down that it is truly unlimited so we shall see..

Comment

Working...
                              X