No announcement yet.

Gonna Give T-Mobile 5G Home Internet a Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never had an internet service where speeds incrementally get faster every month. Scrum. I'm now officially double your speed for $60 flat fee per month. Beat that sucka!

Comment

I’ll send you my emf meter to try and record it. I turn off the WiFi at my house when I’m sleeping and don’t use a spring mattress more electromagnetic conduction and don’t sleep with your phone next to your head. It’s fast but why dude good for the price sure.

Comment

Just placed an order for T-Mobile 5G internet. They say the equipment is backordered until September, but they gave me the $50 price. I'll try it out for a while to see if I get good speeds here in Pasadena. If not, I'll return it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          Just placed an order for T-Mobile 5G internet. They say the equipment is backordered until September, but they gave me the $50 price. I'll try it out for a while to see if I get good speeds here in Pasadena. If not, I'll return it.
          yea the router/modem is on back order because of the chip inside.

if you have any issues at all let me know. for example, if you find that certain websites don't load or certain apps are acting odd. this is a DNS issue that effects some on tmobile. even things like gmail can be wonky with DNS issues. very easily fixed by using your own router. simply plug your own router ($30-$50 bucks on amazon) plug into the silver tmobile unit and all issues will be fixed.

that's the main issue i've seen with people other than people that live in a shitty location in terms of the 5G tower nearest them. when it comes to that you will either have great speeds or you wont. there is no fix for that. it's not even about "Pasadena coverage", it literally comes down to your exact location and where and what form of 5G the tower you will connect to is using. you can have someone in Pasadena getting 750mbps down and someone else in Pasadena getting 7.5mbps down. lol. you will know right away. that's the good thing. you have nothing to lose. your speeds will either be epic or they won't.

my speeds have been basically locked for the last month or so now. doesn't change regardless of time of day. 350mbps down/ 20mbps down. sometimes it goes closer to 500mbps but it spends most of it's time at 350ish.

Comment

Just had the cylinder delivered. Set it up and running in 10 min. Getting 3 bars in my location. Speed is ok, about 200 Mbps down and 9Mbps up. Not getting the speeds you are getting, Bouncer.

I am just using the built-in router for now. Did you get a speed bump when you plugged in your own router, or just fewer issues with DNS errors?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210812_134155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	1008896

Comment

Just had the cylinder delivered. Set it up and running in 10 min. Getting 3 bars in my location. Speed is ok, about 200 Mbps down and 9Mbps up. Not getting the speeds you are getting, Bouncer.

I am just using the built-in router for now. Did you get a speed bump when you plugged in your own router, or just fewer issues with DNS errors?

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210812_134155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	1008896
              Nah router didn't increase speeds only fixed the dns.

Test it again late night or early morning. If your speed is much faster than you know it's simply a tower handling a ton of traffic during peek hours causing the slow down.

If it's still the same it's just your location.

Neither problem has a fix unfortunately. It's just luck of location and tower.

Comment

OK, retested systematically.

Cylinder has 3 bars.

Right next to cylinder:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161252_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	1008899

About 20 feet away, no walls:

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161549_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1008900

About 15 feet away through 1 wall:

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161352_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1008901

About 25 feet away through 2 walls:

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161446_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1008902

So, not bad overall. I'll do the same tests again multiple times a day with the same device (Samsung Galaxy S10) and see how it goes.

Comment

OK, retested systematically.

Cylinder has 3 bars.

Right next to cylinder:

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161252_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	1008899

About 20 feet away, no walls:

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161549_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1008900

About 15 feet away through 1 wall:

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161352_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1008901

About 25 feet away through 2 walls:

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-161446_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1008902

So, not bad overall. I'll do the same tests again multiple times a day with the same device (Samsung Galaxy S10) and see how it goes.
                  yea and one thing to think about. go back and look at my speed tests when i first for the service. they are pretty much the same as yours. but as time went on speeds got quicker and quicker over the next few months. so keep that in mind. i'm not sure why or how but it happened.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to keep it for at least a month or so and see how things go. If it is as fast or faster than Spectrum, I'll switch.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to keep it for at least a month or so and see how things go. If it is as fast or faster than Spectrum, I'll switch.
                      Any dns issues on any devices just using the trashcan without router?

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

Any dns issues on any devices just using the trashcan without router?
                        Nope, no issues so far.

Broke the 400 Mbps barrier at 8pm. Not bad, considering most schlubs are probably on their couch streaming shit right now..

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-202039_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1008908

Comment

Speed slightly increased at 1120 pm. Nice upload speed!

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-232029_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1008910

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20210812-232029_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1008910
                            Nice. Test it out mid day again today. Hopefully it maintains that speed evenly.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210812-232029_Speedtest.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	1008910
                              It's funny how close our speeds are even though we are 400 miles apart. i think it's safe to say T-Mobile coverage in cali is very good. just did a quick test. this has remained my average for months now. mine stays the same no matter what time of day or night. same with weekends it's always right around this speed. seems to be capped at 500mbps because it never goes above that, just hovers right under it.

hopefully whatever tower you're connected to doesn't get too much cell traffic during the day. if your speed goes back to the 200's this afternoon you will know. though it must be said, even 200mbps is fast enough to stream 4k on multiple tv's, zoom calls, etc...

i haven't experienced a single disruption in service the whole time I've had it. it's been better than my previous traditional wired internet connection which would occasionally drop out for a few minutes once or twice a month. hopefully you will have the same reliable experience.

Comment

scrum one thing I'm seeing in your speed test results is high packet loss. it may be fixed by plugging in your own router. it may be a DNS issue. could also be a sign that the tower you are connected to has too much congestion. 60% loss is pretty bad so try to get that lower.

also, try changing to a different test server within the speed test app. that may fix it.

"Packet loss occurs when a packet of data being sent over the internet is not received or is incomplete. This is described in percentage of packets lost compared to packets sent. Packet loss in most cases is result of poor signal/line quality."

https://www.dnsstuff.com/reduce-packet-loss

Comment

Working...
                                X