Gonna Give T-Mobile 5G Home Internet a Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
    Pretty flaky in the last hour or two. Can't break 180, usually hovering between 150 and 160. I think my area is just too congested, too many people, too few towers. I'll play around with it for a few more days, but it is looking like the trashcan is going back to the store.
    Sucks but common from what I've read. Just depends on the traffic on the tower near your house. Luck of the draw I guess.

Though it must be said that some people would kill for 150mbps for $60 in some parts of the country.

Comment

Back up to the high 300s now. Yeah, it's been up and down depending on congestion, I think. I'll give it some more time. I'm ok with 150ish for short periods of time if i can 350-400 most of the rest of the time.

Comment

Back up to the high 300s now. Yeah, it's been up and down depending on congestion, I think. I'll give it some more time. I'm ok with 150ish for short periods of time if i can 350-400 most of the rest of the time.
        The speed test app definitely doesn't tell the whole story. For example on some test servers my download speed is just under 500mbps with an upload speed of 30mbps. But if I switch to a different test server on the app my download speed is 200mbps with an upload speed of 65mbps.

So don't put too much stock in exact details from that app.

If you can stream 4k on multiple devices while also doing a zoom meeting or whatever without any dropouts/buffering etc.. then that should be all that matters IMO for $55-$60 bucks a month it's a bargain.

Add to that, the 5G wars between the carriers mean constant upgrades to the towers. If the tower you are connected to actually does have traffic issues with 5G it's an easy upgrade for T-Mobile to add capacity. They don't need a build a whole new tower. They simply bolt on more 5G capacity to your existing tower. They are constantly adding capacity and upgrades.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to wake up 1 day in a few months/years to a 1 gig per second speed result. We will benefit from the 5g wars.

​​​​​

Comment

I streamed 4K on two devices today and could still maintain a speed test result in the high 200s. My speed did drop below 200 for a couple of hours but realistically, it is not an issue because a 4K stream doesn't really pull more than 35 Mbps in general.

I checked my data usage and it says about 70GB on my account page and 100GB on my router page. Not sure why the discrepancy. I'm definitely going to sign up for an unlimited data plan if I go 5G for my phone lol.... it's been only 4 days and I'm running at 20GB/day or more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	data2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	19.9 KB ID:	1008951Click image for larger version  Name:	data1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	1008952

Comment

I streamed 4K on two devices today and could still maintain a speed test result in the high 200s. My speed did drop below 200 for a couple of hours but realistically, it is not an issue because a 4K stream doesn't really pull more than 35 Mbps in general.

I checked my data usage and it says about 70GB on my account page and 100GB on my router page. Not sure why the discrepancy. I'm definitely going to sign up for an unlimited data plan if I go 5G for my phone lol.... it's been only 4 days and I'm running at 20GB/day or more.

Click image for larger version Name:	data2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	19.9 KB ID:	1008951Click image for larger version Name:	data1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	1008952
            yea, i seriously doubt you can even come close to maxing your speed out. turn on every single device you have, do a zoom meeting, have your son and wife turn on all their devices... try your absolute best to max it out and then run a speed test. i bet you still have 100mbps to spare...

netflix 4k stream for example only pulls 15.26mbps to be exact. (it's compressed compared to something like a 4k blu-ray which uses up to 100mbps bitrate). Prime and Disney+ use the same sort of compression as netflix. using the streaming services you can stream 4k on 3 separate devices and only use a total of 50-60mbps lol.

the only reason I would send it back if i were you is if you have any sort of service disruption/less reliability in comparison to your old internet.

mine has been flawless and it sounds like yours is as well even with the rare speed dip. with the 5G wars being so competitive there is a good chance that any issue you have now will be gone in a few months. they really do upgrade/add capacity to their towers all the time especially right now with the 5G wars in full effect.

Comment

Watching a Maldives "8K" stream on YouTube. Freaking insanely beautiful. I could live there for the rest of my life.

Comment

Rather have Google fiber personally it’s faster still and no mm waves. Ask any dermatologist mm waves damage your skin ask any eye doctor mm waves damage your eyes etc. your argument though is that you’re only “receiving the signal” not transmitting it still not good for you!

Researchers took a comprehensive look at statistical findings from 46 different studies around the globe and found that the use of a cell phone for more than 1,000 hours, or about 17 minutes a day over a ten year period, increased the risk of tumors by 60 percent.
                Last edited by TrapsBrah; 08-24-21, 11:58 PM.

Comment

OK, this experiment is over, I think. Trashcan is going back. I've been between 80 Mbps and 100 Mbps all day This blows. I don't know if there has been a big influx of T-Mobile users into my neighborhood or what, but clearly, they don't have enough towers to handle the extra load. Too bad, I liked the $50/mo price, but I get 230 Mbps day in and day out with my cable service, although at $75/mo.

Comment

OK, this experiment is over, I think. Trashcan is going back. I've been between 80 Mbps and 100 Mbps all day This blows. I don't know if there has been a big influx of T-Mobile users into my neighborhood or what, but clearly, they don't have enough towers to handle the extra load. Too bad, I liked the $50/mo price, but I get 230 Mbps day in and day out with my cable service, although at $75/mo.
                    yea too bad. at least you gave it a try. i see a lot of the same complaints on reddit. it either works very well for some or not so well for others. seems about 50/50. so many factors. tower location, traffic on the tower, if the tower has been fully upgraded etc.. i see some people in the NYC/NJ area reporting almost 1000mbps so that's an amazing deal for $50.

they recently reduced the price to $50 for everyone. i think because Verizon is launching its own 5G home internet service. $50 for a stable 400mbps down and 50mbps up I'm pretty damn happy with. i will say though that there is only 1 spot in my whole house where I get the stable connection with constant speed. if i try to move it a few feet in any direction my speed is cut in half and the signal bars drop by 1. so it's very much a matter of location. I'm sure buildings and trees also play a role.

Comment

It's averaging faster again for me. The last month has basically been a flat 500mbps. Sometimes it goes down to 450mbps other times it goes up to 550mbps but that's the extent of the range. 500mbps for $50. Best deal on the planet if you are in a good area for the service.

Comment

almost a year in now. still blazing and no issues. amazing speed for $50 bucks a month.

as tested on www.fast.com (owned by netflix.)

tested at 3pm. it has gotten as high as 700 Mbps in early morning testing.

Comment

That's great! What a deal. I got nowhere near that. I have got over 400 Mbps late at night, but during the day, it kept dipping below 100 Mbps, which is why I ended up returning it. I'm not going to be in Pasadena beyond this summer, so I will reevaluate once I decide where I'm going to live next. I might move back to Portland, but I've got too used to California weather! Might find a place on the beach somewhere. My wife loves the Santa Barbara area.

Comment

Santa Barbara has good vibes. Beautiful

Comment

Working...
                            X