Switched my phone service to T-Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switched my phone service to T-Mobile

AT&T's shenanigans finally got to me. Basically, they are converting their voice channel to a proprietary codec that forces everyone to switch to an AT&T-approved list of phones. Well, homie don't play that game.... called up T-Mobile and signed up for their Magenta Max plan, which is their best plan that gives truly unlimited 5G with no slowdown or data caps. Cost-wise it's about the same as AT&T and my current phones work fine on the T-Mobile network.

My wife an older son went for iPhone 13s because they got them for essentially about 100 bucks after trading in their current phones. My younger son and I got the Moto One Ace 5G for free. I plan on getting the Pixel 6 later when the price drops a bit. But the Motos looks like pretty decent phones... Bouncer, is this the Moto you have?

Should have the phones come in by Wed.

Yea the moto one 5g ace. Great phone.

The one I see in all the reviews is light grey. Mine is black. I got mine from Google Fi so I'm not sure if the black one is exclusive to fi or what.

The battery lasts forever. Screen is massive.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      AT&T's shenanigans finally got to me. Basically, they are converting their voice channel to a proprietary codec that forces everyone to switch to an AT&T-approved list of phones. Well, homie don't play that game.... called up T-Mobile and signed up for their Magenta Max plan, which is their best plan that gives truly unlimited 5G with no slowdown or data caps. Cost-wise it's about the same as AT&T and my current phones work fine on the T-Mobile network.

My wife an older son went for iPhone 13s because they got them for essentially about 100 bucks after trading in their current phones. My younger son and I got the Moto One Ace 5G for free. I plan on getting the Pixel 6 later when the price drops a bit. But the Motos looks like pretty decent phones... Bouncer, is this the Moto you have?

Should have the phones come in by Wed.
      Hey scrum. The 5g ace is getting android 12 update in Feb 22.

https://www.droid-life.com/2021/12/2...ate-confirmed/

Comment

Android 12 review:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...chnica-review/

Comment

Just received the phone. I'll set it up later today.

Comment

So far, so good. Ported my numbers over from AT&T. 5G is a bit underwhelming. I got about 60-80 Mbps yesterday. I thought it would be in the hundreds. Maybe it's just my location, NBD sice I'll be on wifi anyway at home.

Comment

Getting speeds between 120 and 250 now. Not bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211223-213320-218.png
Views:	120
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1010297

Comment

Yea it's your location bro. You are going to have the exact same speed as you had with TMobile home internet. It uses the same tower.

Comment

Yeah, I figured that. I just didn't know how they partitioned the bandwidth between their phone customers and their mobile customers. They can both use the same towers but get different speeds depending on how much of the tower's bandwidth they get.

Comment

Very happy with the phone so far. The only thing I wish it had is dual SIM slots. I travel abroad frequently (although a lot less lately due to the pandemic) and it would be nice to just be able to add another SIM without having to remove my US one. But it's not a huge deal. I'm really looking forward to Android 12. My previous phone had Android 11 and I wish I didn't have to downgrade to Android 10 with this phone. Missing some good features. Not sure why this phone isn't getting Android 11.

Battery life is insane. I'm on my third day and it just dipped below 20%.

Comment

I'm spoiled by the 45 min charging time for my Xiaomi. The Moto takes forever to charge.

Comment

I'm spoiled by the 45 min charging time for my Xiaomi. The Moto takes forever to charge.
                        Was the XIami the same size battery?

Comment

Very happy with the phone so far. The only thing I wish it had is dual SIM slots. I travel abroad frequently (although a lot less lately due to the pandemic) and it would be nice to just be able to add another SIM without having to remove my US one. But it's not a huge deal. I'm really looking forward to Android 12. My previous phone had Android 11 and I wish I didn't have to downgrade to Android 10 with this phone. Missing some good features. Not sure why this phone isn't getting Android 11.

Battery life is insane. I'm on my third day and it just dipped below 20%.
                          Fuck 11. 10 to 12 is best. Like going from a PS4 to a ps5 and just skipping the gay ass PS4 pro BS in between.

My girl has Android 11 on her phone. It's the same god damn thing as 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

Was the XIami the same size battery?
                            No, it's smaller, but I think it charges with a more powerful charger.

Comment

I liked being able to lock the phone without pressing the power button. On Android 11, you can double tap the screen to lock it. But I found a workaround. You can enable the Accessibility menu and by swiping with two fingers from the bottom of the phone, you can display the Accessibility buttons, one of which is for locking the screen. Neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X