New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York

Well, I made a last second trip to New York this weekend since the flights to the planned city (Chicago) were booked up.

Stayed 1 block off from Time Square and did a little walking around down by Ground Zero. I liked the city overall and I'll have to go back when I have more time to be there and see what it's all about. Was odd to see so many people cruising the streets at 3:00 am in Time Square on a Friday night, but I guess the whole club thing is different than here in Houston. Then there's the driving....the white dashed lines have no meaning in New York. They don't even appear to give a hint as to the direction the flow of traffic goes. Then, who the hell drives a mercialago (sp?) through the traffic in Time Square and New York and then parks it at the street corner of Time Square.... I wish I had the money not to worry about what was happening to my $200,000+ car sitting out on the corner while I was having a drink or two in the bar.

Re: New York

Originally posted by Bdubb
    Was odd to see so many people cruising the streets at 3:00 am in Time Square on a Friday night, but I guess the whole club thing is different than here in Houston.
    it's the city that never sleeps brah. anyways that's one of the places that i'd like to visit here in the U.S. maybe i'll go when i get some vacation time.

Comment

People are always in aww off NY and I agree that it does have many posatives. But let me tell you something bro, YOU DO NOT WANT TO LIVE IN THIS AREA!!! haha. There is to many god damn people in NY/NJ. Try driving on the New Jersey Turnpike in rush hour. The good side is that we have everything. From restuarants to gyms to malls IMO we have the best in the world. Just to many damn people.

Comment

Re: Re: New York

Originally posted by psyko1
        it's the city that never sleeps brah. anyways that's one of the places that i'd like to visit here in the U.S. maybe i'll go when i get some vacation time.
        go to an island or something. nothing to see here. :P

Comment

One thing I thought was that I could never live there. Leaving the Airport (LGA) we ran into some traffic that was dead stop at midnight. Where else can you find dead stop traffic at midnight for no apparent reason. Sure I saw a construction sign, but there was not damn construction, everyone just stopped to look at the sign I guess....

I agree that it's a neat place to visit just to get a feel for it, but I would not move there unless forced to because of a job or something of that nature. Next month I want to try and visit Seattle or San Fran for a day or so.

Comment

Anytime I've gone to NY, I've never driven, I'd probably give myself a heart attack!

Comment

Originally posted by Irishgirl
              Anytime I've gone to NY, I've never driven, I'd probably give myself a heart attack!
              I learned how to drive in NY and I was taught by the best! My father's car was a big ass 1970's New Yorker and I always felt like I was veering over into another lane...my father would say, "Don't worry, they'll get out of your way, this car is bigger." That's the driving mentality in NYC. If he was alive now he'd be driving a Hummer for sure.

I love the city but moved away because it's too damn crowded and it takes too long to commute anywhere. I enjoy going back on vacations though. I do things at my own pace. My daughter thought it was awesome to stay in a hotel on the 30-somethingth floor and to look out in the middle of the night and see shops open and people all around.

Comment

Man, it's been at least either 4 or 5 years since I was in NYC. I know it was before 9/11 though.

LD

Comment

They still have a long way to go to repair some of the buildings across the street from the trade center. Some still have busted out windows and all kinds of issues.

Comment

Here are some pictures from the weekend. Those of you in New York, these are just typical pictures I would assume.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bradwolverton

Comment

Lived in New york all my life, I'm out on Long Island and when I do go into the city (Manhattan) I take the train a lot. I do drive, but as you said it's nothing short of a NASCAR short circuit track.

I don't like the crowds either, and I went to Radio City Music Hall one winter for the Christmas show. Parked in midtown 'cause we had the kids (10 & 8 years old) with us, was like $55.00 an hour! Tickets for the show were $80.00 each.

After all that we go across to Rockefeller Center to see the big tree they put up, my kids go yeah, so it's a tree, big deal.

My comment was, shall we say, priceless.

I am seriously considering moving when I retire, I would like some property that doesn't cost $14,000 a year in taxes. Yup, that's not a typo folks.

Comment

Yeah, just read an article about Nicole Kidman's rent for a loft in New York that is $34,000 a month in rent alone, for a 4,000 sq ft loft.

However, she has the money...

Comment

i just came back from NYC yesterday..nice place to visit but i would never want to live there....ure right about driving man i say so many expensive cars that were beat to hell from city driving...central park was pretty cool....but really the only place in the city were i felt comfortable was little italy....to many weirdos and forgien ppl for me every where else...

Comment

Looks like you had a nice time of it for the most part, if you're ever back in the area again, go uptown and over to 5th avenue around the 80's, lotsa nice stuff there, building and architecture is really great. I spend a lot of time checking out all the buildings, always find something new every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdubb
                              Next month I want to try and visit Seattle or San Fran for a day or so.
                              Seattle is very clean and nice. Me and sana where there about 4 months ago. Ate brunch in the space needle. Went tubing in the moutines. Great city.

Comment

Working...
                              X