A Tale of Two Cultures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Cultures

In the Mojave Desert on Monday, history was made when for the first time a private company launched a man into space. It may be that private enterprise is what is needed to get space exploration into its next phase.

In Iraq on Tuesday, terrorists beheaded another hostage, this one from South Korea.

One culture, with incurable optimism, is resolutely moving forward towards the 22nd century. The other, equally resolutely, is moving backwards towards the 10th century.

Sometimes, it is hard to believe that both nominally belong to the same species.

it is such a shame when you look at it like that huh?

Comment

Yes. All rage aside, this is truly depressing in a fundamental sense because of the barbarism that at least a section of humanity is sliding into. It appears that all the gains of the 2nd half of the last millenium, of the Renaissance, of the age of reason, of science and industry, are totally lost in the Arab world.

Tom Friedman, writing in the New York Times a while ago, pointed out an interesting comparison between a kid in say, Hong Kong and one in the Arab world.

In one case, the pinnacle of achievement, what the parents strive for, is to get the kid educated so that he/she can get into Harvard. In the other case, the pinnacle of achievement appears to be strapping a bomb to their body and blowing themselves up. Which culture do we think is going to be relevant in the later part of the 21st century and beyond?

Comment

I think these people are actually trying to go against advancement. I think it's one of the reasons they hate us. I thought they had stated that they hate the way we live, the things we have. Something to that effect.

Comment

Yep, they want to live in the ancient times. You know what, let's just pull out of there and take all of our advancements away from them and let them live in the times they want to. Then we'll see who comes crawling back!

LD

Comment

its amazing that single planet can't get along. you know what it would take for our planet to unite?? An alien invasion. I know that it is impossible but an outside force (not GOD) is what it would take to make people get together and understand one another.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecold54
              its amazing that single planet can't get along. you know what it would take for our planet to unite?? An alien invasion. I know that it is impossible but an outside force (not GOD) is what it would take to make people get together and understand one another.
              I guess that's the beauty of terminator and the matrix. Everyone is classified as human and we aren't killing each other.

Comment

It's truly pathetic that there is so much more to life than fighting over a piece of land or a religious ideal. In the big scheme of man's existence, these are but trivial bullshit matters. Imagine if people of all races and creeds took a more tolerant approach to life? So much good could be done and advances could be made as a species. Too bad that people feel that they must control the thoughts and actions of others. In some ways the animal kingdom is better than our systems.

Comment

Re: A Tale of Two Cultures

One culture, with incurable optimism, is resolutely moving forward towards the 22nd century. The other, equally resolutely, is moving backwards towards the 10th century.
                  I have been saying the same for YEARS!

On a different note...I can't remember the article, but I read something by a guy from Iraq recently. It was very interesting because it discussed at length about how much of the Arab world is "conspiracy" oriented. He stated that there is a wide-spread belief amongst the Arab population that outside forces are constantly conspiring against them. Talk about not taking responsibility for ones own life.

Anyway, it's a damn shame because that part of the world used to be an intellectual and cultural mecca....several hundred years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Instinct
                    It's truly pathetic that there is so much more to life than fighting over a piece of land or a religious ideal. In the big scheme of man's existence, these are but trivial bullshit matters. Imagine if people of all races and creeds took a more tolerant approach to life? So much good could be done and advances could be made as a species. Too bad that people feel that they must control the thoughts and actions of others. In some ways the animal kingdom is better than our systems.
                    yes imagine the wasted minds in that area of the world or any third world country. we could probably have space travel by now if we spent all the money we wasted on stupid fucking wars rather than put it to at least some good use. or letting the people keep it instead of keeping the taxes so frigging high.

Comment

Working...
                    X