Hard Drive Partition Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Partition Question...

So I had to clear out alot of files from both drives. Did not have to completely unistall XP home. But now it won't boot up directly to my D: drive when my everyday use files are at. During start up it gives me the option to choose between C and D but is highlited defaulty on the C:. Is there a way to change this or will I have to go back and re-install something again?

start up your computer and during boot, run setup.... usually by hitting delete shortly after u start up... then choose the boot sequence and choose the order in which the drives should be read.... usually floppy first, then ur main drive, backup drive... and so forth

Comment

More info..

Need some more info to help you bro.

Are C and D just partitions on the same drive, or do you actually have 2 physical hard drives in there?

Windows XP has a hidden file called BOOT.INI that is located in the root directory of your primary hard drive. That is where you make the changes to change startup order, and to change the amount of time given for selecting a particular operating system. You can definately change it so it always boots one OS without asking. But you will have to post the contents of that file for me to tell you what to change..

Anyway, all is not lost. Almost regarless of your configuration, its possible to get rid of that boot screen and always start the same OS.

Puma/Ripped

Comment

Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced Tab --> Startup and Recovery --> Default Operating System

if you want it to automatically go into the default operating system, then uncheck "Display list of operating systems for..."

Another way to get to the System applet is to go to Windows Explorer (Start --> Run --> type: explorer.exe), then right click My Computer and choose Properties. Then follow the above pointer diagram after System.

Comment

Yup..

What was posted after my message; that is another (easier, thanks!) way to fix this problem..

I grew up on Windows NT, I always think in the terms of the underlying files.. :) Thanks for making that easier though..

Puma/Ripped

Comment

Re: More info..

So what cnynrpr said didn't work.

Originally posted by Puma
            Need some more info to help you bro.

Are C and D just partitions on the same drive, or do you actually have 2 physical hard drives in there?

Windows XP has a hidden file called BOOT.INI that is located in the root directory of your primary hard drive. That is where you make the changes to change startup order, and to change the amount of time given for selecting a particular operating system. You can definately change it so it always boots one OS without asking. But you will have to post the contents of that file for me to tell you what to change..

Anyway, all is not lost. Almost regarless of your configuration, its possible to get rid of that boot screen and always start the same OS.

Puma/Ripped
            It's on drive partitioned.

Comment

What happened when you tried to do what was suggested? Did you tell it you always wanted to boot one OS and have it still gilve you a selection screen?

Let me know..

Puma/Ripped

Comment

Originally posted by Puma
                What happened when you tried to do what was suggested? Did you tell it you always wanted to boot one OS and have it still gilve you a selection screen?

Let me know..

Puma/Ripped

When I click edit here's what I get

[boot loader]
                timeout=30
                default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
                [operating systems]
                multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
                multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X