Computer people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer people...

I have a problem. Anytime I go to click a link I cannot go to the site or I am not able to download. What it does is open a window with some type of search engine. I have run spybot and adaware and i have d/l'd all of the latest windows updates. Anyone know what's wrong? Oh and I scanned for viruses and nothing came up.

Possible solution.

I have seen this happen lots of times before.. Its usually a spyware/adware kind of thing. Its very annoying, and the new ones usually go undetected by software packages.

Anyway, the way to fix it.. First you have to know what page its trying to go to (a really common one is searchpage.cc).. Just let it do its thing and see what page (actually the address of the page is what you need) comes up.

Then, take that page address, go to Google, and type it in (ie. if it was the one mentioned above, just type "searchpage.cc" into the Google engine). Look through the results; likely one of the first couple of hits is going to talk about how to remove this virus, or whatever it is in your particular case. Usually not that hard, sometimes you need to edit the registry.. Sometimes there will be a removal tool, other times you have to do it manually..

If you tell me what web page its going to, I will do the research for you and send you over the removal instructions.

Puma/Ripped

Comment

Re: Possible solution.

Originally posted by Puma
      If you tell me what web page its going to, I will do the research for you and send you over the removal instructions.

Puma/Ripped
      That's really nice of you. :)

One of my computers at work has done this and I'm gonna follow your instructions above and hopefully get if fixed today. Thanks for the info!

Comment

It is searchpage.cc. That goddamn spyware. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Im a computer tech. My solution to any computer problem. Buy a new computer! :D I have a 100-0 record, it always fixes the problem! :P

Comment

yeah I have had the same thing happen. but it stops after a bit.

Comment

GO to computercops.com they have a download page. Try to download Spy sweeper. They also have a kazaa b gone progam that completely removes kazaa. If you have or have had kazaa that is probably the problem.

Comment

searchpage.cc

Here are the removal instructions for searchpage.cc. This is such an annoying virus/spyware, as I am sure you know. It would not be that bad if searchpage.cc was actually in any way useful! :)

Anyway, here's a link to the directions. Try to download the removal tool first, if that does not work then the manual directions are there as well.

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...cc/index.phtml

Good luck..

Puma/Ripped

Comment

Thanks. I'll try it when I get home.

Bounce, if i had the money you did, then I'd go out and buy one.

Comment

Thanks for the help. It worked. Only thing was I had to do it manually cause the damn thing wouldn't let me download.

Comment

Working...
                    X