Mulch or plant flowers first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Puddles
    Just what a woman needs...for her whole yard to smell like chocolate! I'd be trying to eat the dirt when I'm pms'ing. LOL
    :rofl:

Comment

1: plant. Hibiscus is alwys nice and lots off colors and heights to choose from.
      2: take back pine "nuggets" to place of purchase for refund.
      3: get shredded cedar "mulch" instead. It smells great and is a natural insect repellant. Pine bark nuggets are an extremely poor insulator from heat or cold, and are a haven for insect type vermin.
      4: spread mulch around plants.
      5: sit back and marvel at your green thumb abilities and have a couple of cold ones. The cold ones are ok because think of the calorie expenditures you made doing all that manual labor.

Comment

LOL I like #5 the best!

My original landscape was full of hibiscus until the deer ate them down to stubs. I tried spreading hair to keep the deer away, hung fabric softner sheets, etc. to no avail. My neighbor has hibiscus all along the side of her house and the deer ate them so much that they no longer flower and they've become dwarfs...they grow no taller than 2'.

Maybe I'll do the cedar next year (that's what I had before) if the bark gives me problems but there's no way I'm hauling 20 bags of bark back...it's already unloaded and in my garage thanks to my husband.

Weather update...STILL RAINING.

Comment

Here in Texas homeowners have been at war with the deer for as long as anyone can remember. About everything you can think of has been used to try to keep em out of peoples gardens and landscapes. Thus far the only real success we've had comes in the form of high fencing. 8ft. or higher. However, I've had some luck with predator scents. Go to your local sporting good store or try Cabelas online. Get some coyote, fox, or (if you can find it) cougar urine. Large dog pee will work in a pinch but it has to be a big dog, not some little ankle biter. Spead it around the yard, home, or landscape perimeter and see what happens. It's only a temporary fix and will wash away after a good rain or 2. However, if you keep this up for a while the deer will usually move to your neighbor's house.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jones
            Here in Texas homeowners have been at war with the deer for as long as anyone can remember. About everything you can think of has been used to try to keep em out of peoples gardens and landscapes. Thus far the only real success we've had comes in the form of high fencing. 8ft. or higher. However, I've had some luck with predator scents. Go to your local sporting good store or try Cabelas online. Get some coyote, fox, or (if you can find it) cougar urine. Large dog pee will work in a pinch but it has to be a big dog, not some little ankle biter. Spead it around the yard, home, or landscape perimeter and see what happens. It's only a temporary fix and will wash away after a good rain or 2. However, if you keep this up for a while the deer will usually move to your neighbor's house.
            Why not just shoot the damn deer? They're like big rats anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmansb
              Why not just shoot the damn deer?
              :rofl: Reminds me of Nutty Professor when the mother is yelling to Cletus that the dogs are in the garbage, Cletus replies, "Shoot the damn dogs im trying to watch Rosanne." lol

Comment

450,000...... Appx # of whitetail deer herd harvested in Texas last year and it still don't keep em out of the damn yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jones
                  450,000...... Appx # of whitetail deer herd harvested in Texas last year and it still don't keep em out of the damn yard.
                  Yummmmmm! That's some tastey protein!

Would you believe it's raining AGAIN? I think I'm gonna need a boat to get around today. LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X