Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anabolic steroids found in Greek coach's warehouse

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- A search of a warehouse used by the coach at the center of a doping scandal involving Greece's star sprinters uncovered small amounts of anabolic steroids. a government agency said Monday.

A prosecutor and two inspectors from Greece's National Organization of Medicines searched Christos Tsekos' offices and warehouse Aug. 21 and took possession of the supplements.

The supplements included materials that do not have a distribution license" from the agency, a statement said.

The agency, known as EOF, said more than 1,000 "units" of food supplements had ephedrine as their main ingredient.

"Small quantities of medicines that contained anabolic steroids" were also found in the warehouse, EOF said.

Most of the products were manufactured in the United States, Bulgaria and Germany, the agency said.

The agency would "take all the necessary actions that are foreseen by the law," the statement said, without elaboration.

EOF added that "the inspections would continue and expand in all directions."

Tsekos' lawyer, Michalis Dimitrakopoulos, said the supplements in the warehouse were legal.

"There is nothing illegal and nothing prohibited in the containers that Mr. Tsekos' company imports," he said.

Last week's search of Tsekos' facilities was part of an inquiry into whether 2000 Olympic medalists Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou tried to avoid a doping test on the eve of the Athens Games by staging a motorcycle accident.

Kenteris, the 200-meter gold medalist at the Sydney Games, and Thanou, who took the silver in the 100 meters, could not be found at the Olympic Village for an Aug. 12 drug test. Hours later, they were reported to have been in a motorcycle accident that kept them hospitalized for days.

They have denied any wrongdoing.

In a related development, Grigoris Peponis, a prosecutor in the Athens port of Piraeus, opened a preliminary investigation into allegations made by Greek weightlifter Leonidas Sampanis, who was stripped of his bronze medal Sunday, that someone could have slipped him a banned substance without his knowledge. Sampanis' coach has also repeated the claim.

Sampanis, who was third in the 62-kg category Monday after winning silvers at the previous two Olympics, tested positive for testosterone and was disqualified by the International Olympic Committee's executive board. He was expelled from the games.

It was not immediately clear if Peponis' actions would lead to a formal inquiry.

The government has said it will push for a full investigation into any allegation that Greek athletes may have take banned substances and would strip offenders of any privilege given to them by the state. Olympic medalists are regularly given jobs in the military or security services.

"An investigation is ongoing from the responsible ministries and the judicial probe is ongoing, the findings from the judicial probe are going to the prosecutor. The next steps will be decided by the government and the government will announce them at the appropriate time," government spokesman Theodoros Roussopoulos said.

Tsekos' warehouse was searched by EOF inspectors looking for 641 boxes containing food supplements that are unlicensed in Greece. Dimitrakopoulos said last week that those supplements were legal and there were documents to prove it.

The health ministry said Monday that a confiscation order for the 641 boxes was issued in September 2003. Those boxes, however, were found on Aug. 21 when the inspectors used a search warrant to enter Tsekos' warehouse. The ministry released a copy of the confiscation order.

It said Health Minister Nikos Kaklamanis "sent a copy of the confiscation order" to chief prosecutor Dimitris Papagelopoulos, who is supervising the investigation into the motorcycle accident, Tsekos' activities and his food supplement business.

Officials first became aware of the Tsekos' connection to the supplements last year when a consumer complained about getting ill from them. Tsekos was fined $18,300.

Ephedrine is used in weight-reducing formulas and other medicines, and a version of the drug was linked to the death of U.S. pitcher Steve Bechler of the Baltimore Orioles. Some athletes take it to get a short-term energy burst and to increase alertness, but it's on the list of banned substances for Olympic competitors.

is ephedrine all the found or did they actually find anabolic steroids??

Comment

Originally posted by sana
      is ephedrine all the found or did they actually find anabolic steroids??
      "Small quantities of medicines that contained anabolic steroids" were also found in the warehouse, EOF said.
      I don't know what medicines they could be referring to though. They should've just stuck to GH like the chinese.
      Last edited by beefcake; 08-23-04, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I had to chuckle at that Greek weightlifter who was stripped of his bronze saying that maybe he was slipped something withut his knowledge. He tested out for testosterone. That means he was shooting it. It would have been impossible for someone to "slip it to him" without his knowledge, LOL.

I can just see it: Someone sneaks up behind him and stabs his ass with a syringe of test and he's like "Hey, WTF happened? Did I just get stung by a bee?"

BWAhahahaha. Yeah, that's believable.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey
          I had to chuckle at that Greek weightlifter who was stripped of his bronze saying that maybe he was slipped something withut his knowledge. He tested out for testosterone. That means he was shooting it. It would have been impossible for someone to "slip it to him" without his knowledge, LOL.

I can just see it: Someone sneaks up behind him and stabs his ass with a syringe of test and he's like "Hey, WTF happened? Did I just get stung by a bee?"

Would 4ad cause him to test positive? Are you talking about pyrros dimas? I didn't hear anything about this.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey

Hey spidey, I heard that he had twice the amount of test that is allowed. Is it possable that he has naturally high test levels. I mean twice the amount isnt that much considering the average person naturally makes like 100mg of test per week correct?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
              Hey spidey, I heard that he had twice the amount of test that is allowed. Is it possable that he has naturally high test levels. I mean twice the amount isnt that much considering the average person naturally makes like 100mg of test per week correct?

Bouncer....no way was it a naturally occuring level. They allow a pretty large margin just to make sure people with naturally high test levels don't test postitive. A 6:1 test to epitest ratio allows for a pretty good amount of unnatrual test to be taken without testing postive, let alone that which occurs naturally.

Comment

Yeah, what he said.

They test for more than just the amount of test. They also measure the ratio of test to epitest. Normally, you make equal amounts of each so your ratio should be 1:1. Synthetic test has no epitest in it. They allow up to a 6:1 ratio just to be sure so if he tested positive, he had over a 6:1 test:epitest ratio. He was definitely doping. Also, as Hitmansb said, they allow an extra wide range of test levels to insure they don't unfairly punish someone with a naturally high test level. The evidence is really conclusive.

Comment

Yes, 4-AD might make him test positive if he took enough. He would have to take absolutely enormous doses to jack his test up that much though (twice what is allowed considering they allow a very wide range of values). It would be hard IMO for someone to slip him that much without his knowledge. Also, I am unsure how 4-AD would affect his test to epitest ratio.

If it was the dione, it shouldn't change his epitest ratio at all since that is the natural precurser to test. The enzymatic reduction of the 17-one is apparently nonspecific in orientation, giving both test and epitest in a 1:1 ratio.

If it was the diol, it might affect the ratio but I am not sure by how much.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                    Would 4ad cause him to test positive? Are you talking about pyrros dimas? I didn't hear anything about this.
                    No, not him. It was a guy whose name starts with an "S"; Sampanis or something like that.

Comment

seems like all the greek athletes are getting caught

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer
                        Ephedrine is used in weight-reducing formulas and other medicines, and a version of the drug was linked to the death of U.S. pitcher Steve Bechler of the Baltimore Orioles. Some athletes take it to get a short-term energy burst and to increase alertness, but it's on the list of banned substances for Olympic competitors.

That is bullshit. Isn't Ephedra illegal only in the US? I fail to see the problem with this. Steroids and Ephedra are legal in Greece, so unless the athletes test positive for banned substances, the officials dont have shit.

Comment

It doesn't matter what is or is not legal in Greece. The Olympics have their own rules about what is or is not allowed. Ephedra is banned in olympic competition as are steroids, prohormones, clen, etc.

Comment

At the Sydney olympics, they even put a limit on how much caffeine an athelte could have in their system (that has been dropped for this Olympic games). As spidey said, the IOC has their own rules.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmansb
                              At the Sydney olympics, they even put a limit on how much caffeine an athelte could have in their system (that has been dropped for this Olympic games). As spidey said, the IOC has their own rules.
                              I think he means more as it's not illegal for them to posess those substances, but does it really prove that the athletes were consuming them. Just because they have em, doesn't mean they were using them. Proves nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X