thinking of adopting a greyhound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking of adopting a greyhound...

i know getting a dog is a huge committment... how many days should i sit on this thought before i make the next move?

ideas? i think i'm going to at least head down to philly to walk the dogs they have at the kennel this weekend...

i need someone to love... look at this face...

Comment

dogs.....so much work....but good luck

Comment

Beautiful dog....but a big grey hound in an apt.??

It's got good pec and deltoid development. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzy
          Beautiful dog....but a big grey hound in an apt.??

It's got good pec and deltoid development. :D
          i was on the phone with the lady from the national greyhound adoption program and i asked her about the fact that i live in a small apt, and she said that greyhounds are very couch potato-esque dogs :D

i have a 2 acre fenced in dog park like 10 minutes from my house that i can take it to for it to run free.

i dunno... i need to know how many days i should think about it before i act... like to make a sensible decision :confused:

Comment

Sana...borrow a friend's dog for a week and see how that goes. If you enjoy the company and don't have a hard time fitting the dog's needs into your schedule it will be a wonderful thing. Keep in mind the extra costs with owning a dog too...vet visits, grooming, food, pet-sitting whenever you want to go away, etc.

I love dogs, but I don't have what it takes to care for them on a daily basis...so I just enjoy my friend's dogs and help my daughter pet-sit in the neighborhood. I have an 18 y.o. cat however and we just took in a stray who's about 5 yrs. old. My older cat is simple to care for and we used to be able to go away for a week and just have a friend come in and change his water once while we were gone...the new cat "Gavone" eats and shits like a racehorse so we won't be able to do that anymore...he needs daily maintenance.

Comment

i heard greyhounds from the adoption places are GREAT dogs. I've never owned a dog at all, so I'm not the best one to tell you. I guess though greyhounds are loving and they are past the "puppy"stage and they like kids... only heard good things about that breed.

Comment

sana;I've seen quite a few adopted greyhounds and they are wonderful animals.

They are very calm in the house but that comes with proper exercise.Aggression in the breed is almost non-existant and they are easily trained.

Most of the dogs are in the 2-5 year old range but there are exceptions of course.

I wouldn't talk you out of the breed but you need to ask yourself if you have time for a dog and the exercise the breed requires.

Good luck,

Mad

Comment

I have a Rotti and they do take sometime and money to keep up with, but just like kids there is no monetary value to their effection. Bucca (my rotti) was a handful in the beginning I had to crate her, potti train her, and the vets. As far as how often to take the dog out I would say if you can once aday when you get home but I don't know your schedule. I would recommend a dog to anyone who loves animals, and if your going through a pound even better your saving a life and you can't put $$$$ on that

Comment

Originally posted by Keiser
                    My only advice: Don't get a weimaraner. :)
                    i love weimaraners... and to tell you the truth, the only other dog i would think of getting is a weimie, but i don't have time for a dog that's going to be ADD and have seperation anxiety. my ex had a german shorthaired pointer and they're supposed to be very similar in temperment - or so i heard - and Banyan tore his sofa up twice and pee'd countless times on his roommate's bed :p

i remember you posting the pics your dogs up at FG :D

i know the cost that would be incurred with getting dogs... though i've not owned one myself, my ex and i bought a pug together to keep the pointer company. the pug was basically my dog, vet bills and such i paid for. food and such was usually whomever was heading to the pet store... so i know it's an expensive propsititon...

that's why i gotta find the right amount of time to sit and marinate on this decision before i act. i don't want to be too spontaneous and end up with more responsibilty than i can handle.

i guess to go with MrsP's advice, i can always have my ex bring down the two dogs for a week to let me have them at my house. i miss those stinky bastards.... (not the ex, just the dogs :D )

i don't mind getting an older dog either, i think that they're all already kennel trained so it would be easy to housebreak them once i get them home.

the more i talk about it, the more i want to do it :angel:

Comment

My only advice: Don't get a weimaraner. :)

lol - energetic little bastards aren't they?

Comment

most people overlook how much $$$ they cost.

exactlly!!! my 2 rotts including the knee surgery of my male, food bills, vet bills, putting in a fence for them to play and got to the bathroom, over the 2 years that I have had them has easily cost me over 15 thousand dollars. dogs are expensive and a huge commitment. i personally dont think a greyhound would be happy in a small apartment.

Comment

Get this kind of greyhound since you have a small apartment :p
                          http://www.ustrotting.com/newsroom/bt030826.htm

Comment

Sana,

Greyhounds are couch potatoe-esque, and in general are very very timid. They also hardly ever bark. And they just love companionship.

Most of the time they will reccomend you take two, they just do better when they are not alone.

One negative, historically they are prone to lots and lots of weird health problems after age 5-6.

My sister has done this program for a decade and has lost three dogs to weird diseases. Not only was this costly, heartbreaking.

Must say though, if it was me, and I was too get another dog, would seriously consider it, they are that lovable.

Hoped That Helped
                            Good Luck

Comment

What breed of dog was trip?
                              greyhounds...

keiser, having the two dogs together doesn't help with your weim's seperation anxiety?

when we got the pug to keep the pointer company, it took the seperation anxiety down one notch. and as he aged (he's now 7) he's got calmer. i don't know how old your dog is... but, that's my biggest concern with certain breeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X