16 Year Old Female Tennis Player Busted For Nandrolone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Year Old Female Tennis Player Busted For Nandrolone

16 year old girl using this particular steroid? whoa.

By CHRIS LEHOURITES, AP Sports Writer
    January 11, 2006

LONDON (AP) -- French Open quarterfinalist Sesil Karatantcheva was banned for two years after twice testing positive for the steroid nandrolone.

The 16-year-old Bulgarian failed one drug test after losing at Roland Garros on May 31, then failed an out-of-competition test in Tokyo on July 5, the International Tennis Federation said Wednesday. Both tests were treated as a first offense by an ITF tribunal that met Dec. 14-15 in London.

The ban took effect Jan. 1, and the ITF said she has three weeks to appeal.

Karatantcheva, who is in Bulgaria, did not comment. She and her father, also her coach, were expected to speak at a news conference Thursday. The Bulgarian Tennis Federation also declined comment.

Karatantcheva beat Venus Williams in the third round at the French Open and lost to Russia's Elena Likhovtseva in the quarters. She was the seventh youngest French Open quarterfinalist in the Open era. Her results at Roland Garros will be nullified and she will forfeit prize money and ranking points won since that tournament.

The ITF said its tribunal "rejected the player's defenses but determined that the two offenses would be treated as one single first offense for sanctioning purposes."

In December, Argentine player Mariano Puerta was banned for eight years for his second doping offense, in effect ending his career. He was the first tennis player to receive a ban of more than two years.

Karatantcheva, ranked 41st, has never won a WTA Tour title, but her showing at the French Open made her a player to watch. She lost in the second round at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

Before a third-round match against Maria Sharapova in Indian Wells, Calif., in 2004, the then 14-year-old Karatantcheva vulgarly pledged to beat the Russian because of a perceived slight during training. Sharapova won that match and also defeated her at Wimbledon last year.

Karatantcheva spends six months training in Sofia, Bulgaria, and the other half of the year in Sarasota, Fla., at Nick Bolletieri's Tennis Academy.

Her parents are champion Bulgarian athletes -- her father in rowing, her mother in volleyball.

She must have forgotten to check her detection times. :D Of course she's going to test positive every time she gets tested for the next year and a half. She might as well stop attempting to play until she is sure it's cleared her system. Bummer, I am sure this is the one time I can say that she must have felt preasured to do it. 16 years old and from Russia.

Comment

What does a chick like that gain from taking deca? It sure as hell wasn't any size. Why is it necessary for a 16 year old in tennis?

Comment

Originally posted by Severedties
        What does a chick like that gain from taking deca? It sure as hell wasn't any size. Why is it necessary for a 16 year old in tennis?
        It still has the same effects on a woman as it does a man, it just doesn't take the same doses. You have to realize that men and women have all of the same hormones (I think it's all), just different amounts running through out bodies.

Personally though, I do agree, a 16 year old girl should just be playing the game. This is one of those cirumstances in which the coaches and parents push the children to these extremes and why I said she was probably pressured into it.

Comment

^well put.

Comment

It just seems kind of ironic that she was caught taking steroids when they didn't actually help her win. But maybe that's what it took for her to compete at that level in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Severedties
              strength gains and could also help with her training and recovery.

Comment

This is actually pretty common. Eastern block countries are producing some fine athletes but there are lots of pressures on them to win. When you are are 14 year old child and the primary bread winner for the family, you will feel pressure to do anything. Tennis is a physical game, lots of pounding on joints etc. The quicker you can recover, the more you can train. By the way, she claims she was pregnet at the time to try to explain the elivated levels. She is appealing the suspension.

Comment

poor thing...

Comment

shes pretty creepy imo lol

Comment

silly girl

Comment

Did anyone here read that little tidbit about her making nearly $300,000 per year? I think I'd be pushing her to work harder too. At that rate she could retire at 25.

Comment

Working...
                        X