Been thinking about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been thinking about

The Panasonic 50" Plasma. It was rated number 1 by consumer reports. All the reviews that I have read on the net have been awesome. Anyone have a panasonic plasma of any size ?

I like the flat panel TV's The LCD's get really expensive above 42 inches which leaves only the plasma as a choice.

Although..........Sears has a great Mitsubishi DLP that's around 60inches and it's awesome looking.

stromba, post a link to the tv your talking about.

the 1 drawback to plasma is that of all the technologies, they are most susceptible to "burn-in". meaning, if a station logo or sports ticker is on the tv for hours a day and is repeated over a few months the logo or anything that stays in 1 spot on the TV will actually burn an image onto that spot. once this happens it cannot be fixed without getting a screen replacement which is very expensive. the newer plasmas are better at this then the older ones but they are still more susceptible to it.

Comment

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catO...ategorylist.do

I heard that about plasmas. This years models are supposed to be better than last years, but It's still a concern.

Sears has a great looking mitsubishi DLP that is front and center in their TV dept. I forgot the model. I'll look today and post the link.

It just seemed so wide and bulky to me though.
      Last edited by TheStromba; 01-28-06, 09:01 AM.

Comment

The plasma your looking at is actually a damn nice model.

Not sure if you have seen this thread over at AVS but here is the link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=TH50PX50U

Im a DLP fan myself but I know just as many people who have a plasma and love it just like I love my TV. Im sure you would be happy with that model.

If you are interested in DLP also. Here is the thread on AVS about the TV that I own, just so you can compare and see what you like best. Everyone is different. Let me know if you need anymore help.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=HL6178W

Comment

I found an awesome TV today at Sears. It apparently just came out. There was no comparison with any other tv in the place, LCD, Plasma or anything.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

I could not believe how much better the picture was on this set than anything else plasma or not.

Comment

Stromba the SXRD is supposed to have a few flaws in the technology. I havent done much research on them but from what I have read, there is some kinda of greenish splash that shows up on the screen in dark sceens. Just make sure you do alot of reading on it.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
              Stromba the SXRD is supposed to have a few flaws in the technology. I havent done much research on them but from what I have read, there is some kinda of greenish splash that shows up on the screen in dark sceens. Just make sure you do alot of reading on it.

I will. It was so much better than anything else around it that I would prolly be willing to put up with something like that.

I am gonna do some fast research. Sears has no interest for 18months or no payments for 1 year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStromba
                I will. It was so much better than anything else around it that I would prolly be willing to put up with something like that.

I am gonna do some fast research. Sears has no interest for 18months or no payments for 1 year.
                I dont think you would be willing to put up with a green splash across the screen anytime a dark image is on the screen. lol. Think about it bro, SXRD is a first generation technology. They havent had time to work out the flaws and the bugs. Its alot of money to spend on something that already has known flaws. There will be a new model SXRD comming out in about 7 months with a few of the bugs fixed.

Also, I assume that sears dosent have any 1080P DLP sets? Just 1080I? Once you see a 1080P DLP im sure you would say the picture is as good if not better then the SXRD.

Comment

I dont think you would be willing to put up with a green splash across the screen anytime a dark image is on the screen. lol. Think about it bro, SXRD is a first generation technology. They havent had time to work out the flaws and the bugs. Its alot of money to spend on something that already has known flaws. There will be a new model SXRD comming out in about 7 months with a few of the bugs fixed.

Also, I assume that sears dosent have any 1080P DLP sets? Just 1080I? Once you see a 1080P DLP im sure you would say the picture is as good if not better then the SXRD.
                  They do have 1080P DLP sets. Thats the one I was trying to think of in an earlier thread. I don't know the exact model, but it's a Mitsubishi.

You are right about first generation technology. I never wanna buy a new car the first model year, so the same should go for a TV.

Comment

I just bought a toshiba 62' DLP its not even a month old and I love the picture, It looks unbelievable with movies and some x box games that are in high def but regular Tv sucks because not all tv channles come in high def and being 62' you can really see the crappy picture... My bestfriend has a plasma its a smaller one but I really cant see spending soooo much more on it when the picture isnt all that much better.... Only big diff is the plasma can hang on your wall and the $$$$$

Comment

oh yeah and one other cool thing about this tv is I can have lights on and no reflection at all, the tv is on a little slant so it doesnt reflect and has awsome picture looking at it from the side... the tv is a..Toshiba 62HMX85 Im guessing the 62 is the size and i dont know what the rest of the letters and stuff means...

Comment

Originally posted by TheStromba
                        They do have 1080P DLP sets. Thats the one I was trying to think of in an earlier thread. I don't know the exact model, but it's a Mitsubishi.

You are right about first generation technology. I never wanna buy a new car the first model year, so the same should go for a TV.
                        Stromba, they must have the Mits 1080P calibrated wrong then because I have seen the SXRD and while the picture is good it couldnt match the crisp, sharp image of a 1080P DLP. I would bet that they have the Mits brightness and sharpness turned way up distorting the picture.

Comment

The 2 current best technologies are DLP and Rear projection LCD. I would go with one of those.

Plasma has very sharp still image quality, but blurs when images go into high speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekrawulf
                            The 2 current best technologies are DLP and Rear projection LCD. I would go with one of those.
                            Thats really just an oppinion bro. LCD does not display true black colors very well. They also pixilate often. When you say, "best" what does that mean? If your talking best picture quility nothing yet beats the old CRT technology. I have a DLP and love it but the word "best" i s just your oppinion.

Comment

Thats really just an oppinion bro. LCD does not display true black colors very well. They also pixilate often. When you say, "best" what does that mean? If your talking best picture quility nothing yet beats the old CRT technology. I have a DLP and love it but the word "best" i s just your oppinion.
                              When I speak in terms of best, I speak in terms of reliability, longevity, construction, functionality and value.

I see these technologies inside and out on a daily basis. I agree with you on the pixelated effect, also if one of the pixels burns out, the entire LCD chip must be replaced. I still prefer DLP over any other current technology, I was just stating what I considered the 2 best technologies based on my experiences in the field of television marketing and research.

I do agree with you on CRT being best picture quality, with plasma being a 2nd. But based on the terms I stated above I dont rank these as high.

Please note that I was tlaking about LCD rear projection and not standard LCD technology. As these are 2 similar , yet different technology.

We all have different opinions of what is "best" based on what we seek in our investments. My suggestion Stomba is to go to a local dealer and demo all the different technologies. And find the one that best fits your needs.

Make sure you spend lots of time and try to see all capacities in which this tv will be used. It is a great investment in money, so make sure you put the time in as well.
                              Last edited by Nekrawulf; 02-06-06, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X