Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining Video Games and Fitness

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.a...7&nav=menu54_5

Entertainment fitness is not a new idea, but just like any other technology, it goes through various stages of evolution.

The YMCA has had virtual reality video games before, but they've had their limitations. Now, thanks to a grant from the Welborn Foundation and Clinic, the YMCA has bought one of the latest models - the Cybex Trazer.

Fit Kids Instructor Tara Kline explains that the new game test reaction time and lateral movement.

But all that is kind of lost on 13-year-old Andrew McGuire. He's more concerned about having fun with "Goalie Wars," one of the games offered on the Cybex Trazer.

It sure beats the regular equipment at the YMCA.

The Trazer communicates with a motion sensors on the belt, computing how many calories the kids burn, their heart rates, and how far they move. Each session ends with feedback, including a score that tells them if they've improved any.

Kline says, "There are other games out there, but this one is more like a personal training system rather than just games."

Ten-year-old Hailee Tapp is just trying to keep the balls in the air in "Jump Explosion," but she's really improving her strength, coordination, balance, agility, as well as burning some calories to reach her goals.

Andrew says the Fit Kids Program has helped him lose a few pounds. Even at such a young age, he's actually aware of how much weight factors into overall health.

Andrew says, "My grandparents have problems with their hearts and stuff, so it concerns me. I need to do something before it's too late."

The Trazer is part of the Rotary Youth Fitness Center at the YMCA, which is open from 3:30 to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

And what's great about the YMCA is no one is turned away for their ability to pay, therefore anyone can use it.

I wana play damn it!

Comment

My personal favorite form of cardio is DDR. Let the revolution begin!

Comment

I played some of this stuff at the CES show in Vegas. kinda cheasy but fun

Comment

twizz, how was the CES show? thinking about going next year. i hear they were really pushing the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray this year.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks that this is pretty damn sad...

Comment

Originally posted by fog_hat1981
              Am I the only one that thinks that this is pretty damn sad...
              im actually happy that there doing something to get kids off there fat asses.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
                im actually happy that there doing something to get kids off there fat asses.
                I'm not really upset that they are getting "off their fat asses." My point is more along the lines that society has practically made it essential that the only way we are going to get the "majority" of new age children to exercise is by entertaining them.

When did the act of exercise itself lose it's own entertainment value...

Comment

along time ago..

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
                    along time ago..
                    I guess that's why I view it as sad...

Sorry to hijack the thread....

Comment

I guess that's why I view it as sad...

Sorry to hijack the thread....
                      no i agree 100%, just saying we all know how lazy people are nowadays. So to me, anything that will get them doing something is good.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat
                        Have you ever been? Very cool show.
                        No, you?

Comment

I'm not really upset that they are getting "off their fat asses." My point is more along the lines that society has practically made it essential that the only way we are going to get the "majority" of new age children to exercise is by entertaining them.

Good point, why can't kids be entertained by REAL sports games instead of video games? I mean, wouldn't basketball or soccer or kickball or football or hell, even golf, be even better than jumping around on some pad with sensors hooked up to you? I grew up without a Nintendo so I was outside shooting hoops or riding my bike. I guess it's a good idea to try to get kids out from in front of their TV and into some form of physical activity. No substitute for fresh air though IMO. Overall I think it's a step in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                          X