A sleeping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sleeping question

So I work Sun - Wed nights 11pm-7am. Usually I sleep in shifts, for example I will get off work and sleep a few hours until I have to get up and then go to sleep sometime agian later for a little bit. Total hours are about 6 or 7. I can't sleep that long the second time I go to sleep usually. Well yesterday I went to sleep about 7:30 - 11:30 am and got up. Then I went back to sleep from 3pm-9pm. I felt the best I ever had before going to work. I get off work this morning at 7 and felt fine. So I decided to go to the gym. Probably the worst workout ever. What is it about humans staying up through the night that screws everything up?

I would have gone home and tried to get a power nap in before going to the gym. Maybe you mentally just felt great but physically your body wasn't ready.

Comment

Ya, I would say your patterns are all fucked up. The body has a clock, its like to be on a schedual. When your sleeping a little here, and a little there, your body will not run like a well tuned machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
        Well yesterday I went to sleep about 7:30 - 11:30 am and got up. Then I went back to sleep from 3pm-9pm. I felt the best I ever had before going to work. ?
        :hmmm: Looking at the times now, that adds up to almost double what you normally sleep. That is probably a good reason why you felt better. 11 hours of sleep compared to 6? Much more restful.

Comment

So about 30minutes after I posted this I felt all off and went an layed down. I just woke up and feel blah. I guess my bodies clock IS all off and was set to go to sleep. FB, no I can't get it all in at one time. I have to get back up to watch my son while my wife goes to class and if there is anything to do, I have to do it while stuff is open. I try to wait until Fri and Sat to get things done, but sometimes I can't. It does hinder my gains and this is just one of those things I have to deal with for a few more months.(I am getting my work schedule changed after this semester). On the other nights I sleep through the night (once I fall asleep, this can be tricky) and feel normal the next day. I can work out and everythings fine. Sometimes when I get my second session I feel good and can work out. I just thought there was something that chemicly went on with our bodies that is affected by the night (ie. the sun going down and all the crazy unexplained lunar stuff). I have worked at nights for a year now and I have not completly adjusted. I think it's imposable.

Comment

Well for the month that my son and wife were in Poland it only got a little better, but not much. That's another reason I think there's something more to it.

Comment

I swear that melatonin plays a huge role and exposure to sunlight keeps your levels steady etc...

"Melatonin helps regulate sleep-wake or circadian rhythms. Normally, production of melatonin by the pineal gland is stimulated by darkness and inhibited by light."

From here....

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Melatonin

Comment

I think I found the answer

The cycle of sleep and wakefulness is regulated by the brain stem, thalamus, external stimuli, and various hormones produced by the hypothalamus. Some neurohormones and neurotransmitters are highly correlated with sleep and wake states. For example, melatonin levels are highest during the night, and this hormone appears to promote sleep. Adenosine, a nucleoside involved in generating energy for biochemical processes, gradually accumulates in the human brain during wakefulness but decreases during sleep. Researchers believe that its accumulation during the day encourages sleep. The stimulant properties of caffeine are attributed to its negating the effects of adenosine.

The suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) of the hypothalamus plays an important role in the regulation of circadian rhythms. The SCN is influenced by external light and also generates its own rhythm in isolation. In the presence of light it sends messages to the pineal gland that instruct it to cease secreting melatonin.

The suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) is a nucleus in the hypothalamus situated immediately above the optic chiasm, on either side of the third ventricle. The SCN generates a circadian rhythm of neuronal activity, which regulates many different body functions over a 24-hour period. The SCN contains several cell types, containing several different peptides (including vasopressin and vasoactive intestinal peptide) and neurotransmitters, and interacts with many other regions of the brain.

Neurons in the ventrolateral SCN (vlSCN) have the ability for light-induced gene expression. If light is turned on at night, the vlSCN relays this information throughout the SCN, in a process called entrainment. Neurons in the dorsomedial SCN (dmSCN) are believed to make an endogenous 24-hour rhythm that can persist under constant darkness (in humans averaging about 24h 11min). Melanopsin-containing ganglion cells in the retina have a direct connection to the SCN via the retino-hypothalamic tract. The SCN sends information to other hypothalamic nuclei and the pineal gland to modulate body temperature and production of hormones such as cortisol and melatonin. Rats with damage to the SCN sleep "erratically" (i.e., they do not follow the night-day rhythm).

The SCN is one of four nuclei that receive nerve signals directly from the retina, the other three are the lateral geniculate nucleus (LGN), the superior colliculus, and the pretectum. The LGN passes information about color, contrast, shape, and movement on to the visual cortex. The superior colliculus controls the movement and orientation of the eyeball The pretectum controls the size of the pupil.

Comment

Working...
                X