Taking the fun out of N-F-L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the fun out of N-F-L

Chad Johnson of the Bengals and Steve Smith of the Panthers aren't going to have any fun with the celebration rule change being proposed by the NFL Competition Committee.
    By Wednesday, NFL owners have to vote on an expansion of the taunting rules that penalize players for excessive end zone celebrations following touchdowns. Heading the list of violators are Johnson and Smith.

As a point of emphasis, NFL owners will vote and probably pass a clampdown on excessive celebrations. If passed, Johnson won't be able to do his CPR-with-a-football celebration, or his sideline-proposal-to-a-cheerleader routine, or play "pylon" golf with the ball after a score. He might be able to do his Riverdance as long as it doesn't delay the flow of the game.

For Smith, Carolina's Pro Bowl receiver, his touchdown Snow Angel would not be allowed, or his rowboat celebration, or his goalpost ladder climb, or his treat-the-football-as-a-baby, or his wipe-the-rear celebrations.

The penalty, if called, would be 15 yards and enforced on the ensuing kickoff.

"One of the major points of emphasis is sportsmanship," said Titans coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the competition committee. "When we are talking about sportsmanship, we are talking about two areas. Number one, we are talking about taunting. If you recall two or three years ago, we made taunting a point of emphasis. That's the in-your-face, the lack of sportsmanship, the lack of respect for your game.

"Two or three years ago, they [tauntings] were being flagged and we almost eliminated them. I think we take responsibility. The officiating department and the committee have allowed them to creep back. We're going to make that once again a point of emphasis."

After watching hours of touchdown celebration tape, the committee felt the celebrations have gotten out of hand. The proposal specifically prohibits a player going down to the ground to celebrate, prohibits using the ball as a prop and prohibits using any other item as a prop, such as a pylon.

Still allowed are spikes, dances, Lambeau Leaps, spins and dunking the ball. Anything else is going to result in a penalty if the proposal is passed.

Some have called the NFL the No Fun League. Smith and Johnson might call it the No Fair League.

I like the celebrations. The taunting they are talking about that I don't think is appropriate is doing something directed at a particular player. But the end zone celebration is just a player being excited for the team doing something well.

Comment

good, i hate all that shit. like when Emmit Smith would score a touch down and then run back to the sideline with his head down. thats what i respect.

its ok to get excited, like when Favre throws a TD he will run to the enzone and hug the guy or whatever. that is fine. but when favre starts humping the goal post or whatever, that is too much.

Comment

I like the creativity, but I guess it will get old quickly and just start looking stupid.

Comment

I agree Bouncer, I miss (people like) Barry Sanders too. I can live with the celebrations as they are, I just respect Barry more and more as the seasons pass

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
            good, i hate all that shit. like when Emmit Smith would score a touch down and then run back to the sideline with his head down. thats what i respect.

its ok to get excited, like when Favre throws a TD he will run to the enzone and hug the guy or whatever. that is fine. but when favre starts humping the goal post or whatever, that is too much.
            Agreed... I loved this about Barry Sanders too. He would make some unbelievable lateral moves, making about a half dozen people miss and then after waltzing into the end zone, would simply place the ball on the ground or hand it to the ref and head back to the sidelines.

Comment

It used to be funny, but it got old. I like the good old days of Payton and Barry Sanders just flipping the ball back to the ref.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
                Emmit Smith would score a touch down and then run back to the sideline with his head down.
                Emmit was the man - I started to lose my taste for Dallas when they brought Deion into the picture though...

Comment

Originally posted by meat12
                  It used to be funny, but it got old. I like the good old days of Payton and Barry Sanders just flipping the ball back to the ref.
                  thats who came to mind for me was Payton he would always turn on his back and put the ball above his head after he got tackled to get a better spot, or when he scored he would just toss the ball back to the ref. He was such a classy player, I got to meet him a couple of times before he died and he was a great guy even when he was sick as hell, he still made fun of me for having earrings. :laughnew:

Comment

Cory Dillon is like that too. Just gives some teammates high fives and runs back to the sidelines after a touchdown. No showboating, no pomp and circumstance, just football. That celebration and taunting shit is better suited to WWE. Has no place in professional anything...let alone sports. I'll admit, I thought it was funny when TO autographed the ball and tossed it into the crowd, but those kinds of childish displays need to be stopped. I think it's a good move by the owners.

Comment

Working...
                    X