For those of you with an HD TV set..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you with an HD TV set..

Just so you know, HD DVD players are now out. HD-DVD content will be available tommorow with alot more titles comming in the next month.

we have a HDTV plasma 37" on the wall and we don't have it hooked up with the right wires, so we aren't watching in HD... most everyone isn't... you have to have different hookups from cable or dish to view it that way... so that's what I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamgirl
      we have a HDTV plasma 37" on the wall and we don't have it hooked up with the right wires, so we aren't watching in HD... most everyone isn't... you have to have different hookups from cable or dish to view it that way... so that's what I've heard.
      Actually DG that is not true. I have couple different hookups on my tv one is for my dish network and other one is for my local chanells. I know u guys are going to ask me why two hookups?it's a long story,but anyways neither of my hookups are with special cables,infact I get my local chanells in HD with an old fashion rabbit ear antena. As long as your TV has an HD tuner built in it uses regular coaxial cable.
      Benefit you get with those cables is more detailed color settings that is all. And so far I am happy as can be without those settings. :nerdnew:

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat
        You have to have pay for the HD channels through your provider.
        True for some but not for the local chanells. And most of them broadcast 99% of the shows HD allready.
        Just use your TV HD tuner input.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
          Just so you know, HD DVD players are now out. HD-DVD content will be available tommorow with alot more titles comming in the next month.
          oh great i just paid 600 bucks last year for my dvd player now i need a new one. are the dvds gonna cost more? i love discovery channel in HD

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat
            What's the price range right now?
            the tosiba player is $499

Comment

Originally posted by dreamgirl
              most everyone isn't... you have to have different hookups from cable or dish to view it that way... so that's what I've heard.
              Some people seem to think that by simply buying an HD set that you will automaticly have HD. You need to either have an HD cable or sat box. Or your TV needs to have an HD tuner in order to recieve HD broadcast over the air.

Since you already have an HDTV I would suggest you call your cable or sat provider and tell them you would like an HD box.

Comment

Originally posted by wnabeabeast
                Actually DG that is not true. I have couple different hookups on my tv one is for my dish network and other one is for my local chanells. I know u guys are going to ask me why two hookups?it's a long story,but anyways neither of my hookups are with special cables,infact I get my local chanells in HD with an old fashion rabbit ear antena. As long as your TV has an HD tuner built in it uses regular coaxial cable.
                Benefit you get with those cables is more detailed color settings that is all. And so far I am happy as can be without those settings. :nerdnew:
                ya, only those with HD tuners can recieve OTA HD though. most older HD sets need a Set top box to recieve HD.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19
                  oh great i just paid 600 bucks last year for my dvd player now i need a new one. are the dvds gonna cost more? i love discovery channel in HD
                  the HD-DVD's will cost from around $25-$35.

Comment

ya, only those with HD tuners can recieve OTA HD though. most older HD sets need a Set top box to recieve HD.
                    Yep agreed with you on that B. So that leaves us with one question to Dreamgirl. How old is your tv? if it's not to old,you might have the built in HD tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by wnabeabeast
                      Yep agreed with you on that B. So that leaves us with one question to Dreamgirl. How old is your tv? if it's not to old,you might have the built in HD tuner.
                      most plasma's over a year old didnt come with the tuner. it is a standard now though.

Comment

^^^
                        Yeah,they used to charge whole lot more for the TV's with the built in tuner.
                        I remember the adds,it was HD ready or HD compatible.
                        Ohhh the good old days( even though it was only a year ago.) :nerdnew:

Comment

HD-DVD is too new of a technology right now. Let the war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD cease before buying into any of that. I didn't go out and buy a dvd player when they first came out, better to let the bugs of the technology work themselves out. And you will get it cheaper if you wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000
                            HD-DVD is too new of a technology right now. Let the war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD cease before buying into any of that. I didn't go out and buy a dvd player when they first came out, better to let the bugs of the technology work themselves out. And you will get it cheaper if you wait.
                            thats true but if your like me you like to have all the newest gadgets. im going to wait for a Dual blu-ray HD DVD player for a few months. if it takes longer then that, i will get both format players seperatly.

Comment

thats true but if your like me you like to have all the newest gadgets. im going to wait for a Dual blu-ray HD DVD player for a few months. if it takes longer then that, i will get both format players seperatly.
                              Yeah I am a gadget freak myself, but I want to see how the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray pans out. A dual player would obviosly be best. Sony is basically thrusting Blu-Ray into the market with the ps3, for movies that is good and for the BR format that is great. For the ps3 that is bad, the first drives that come out will of course read much slower when compared to a dvd player you can buy now. The read speed isn't much of a factor in movies as it is in video games.

Comment

Working...
                              X