X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cars with great gas mileage

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/04/19/...ers/index.html

(Pics) http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/aut...n.exclude.html

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - You find plenty of lists out there of cars that get the best fuel economy. Those lists are easy to produce, but they aren't really of much use.

For example, the most fuel-efficient car on the market today is the Honda Insight, but do you really want to buy a rough-riding two-seater with no storage space? After all, you probably need your car to do more than just get you from one place to another. You might like to carry a few other people or some luggage. You might even want a little driving enjoyment from all those miles you're driving with each fill-up.

We worked with Edmunds.com, the people who provide automotive data and content for CNN's automotive Web sites, to select vehicles in five categories that get very good fuel mileage but that are also otherwise outstanding automotive values. There's no point to buying a fuel-efficient car that doesn't pay off in other ways.

We've selected five -- a luxury car, family sedan, sports car, crossover SUV and a subcompact -- that are smart buys and easy on fuel. For each category, we've also mentioned two alternatives.

None of the top cars are hybrids. That's because, with their added cost, hybrids aren't really a good value from a purely economic standpoint. But we've provided a hybrid choice in some categories for those who are willing to pay more to burn less fuel.

One thing you'll notice is that Toyota is well represented on this list. That's because Toyota does two things particularly well. They build high-quality cars by every measure and cars that are very fuel-efficient. On a list like this, Toyota is bound to come out on top.

I think it's funny that people fail to realise there still IS a performance/mileage tradeoff...with a couple of those cars, such as the new RAV4 or the Mercedes E350D, there are V6 and V8 versions, respectively, but it's the base engine that carries the great mileage.

I'm liking the Corolla's 32 city, 41 hwy...

I wonder how much Rado has spent on gas so far...

Comment

my cars not on there, I have the VW Passat V6

Comment

Originally posted by go Yankees

I wonder how much Rado has spent on gas so far...
        im sure he would be very glad to tell you how much. im sure he would also love to tell you his electric bill, phone bill, water bill, food bill, cable bill, and any other bill that he has. :D

Comment

Originally posted by dreamgirl
          my cars not on there, I have the VW Passat V6
          what is your gas milage like? i like the VW SUV. not sure of the name.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
            what is your gas milage like? i like the VW SUV. not sure of the name.

mine is actually pretty good,

for a whole tank of gas I get about 300 miles and I think my tank is 16 gallons

actually the car your'e talking about is the Tourag and it gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, my sister-in-law bought one and they get like 10 miles to the gallon... all they have done is complain about how much gas they buy and how they didn't expect to be paying so much in gas for that car.

Comment

mine is actually pretty good,

for a whole tank of gas I get about 300 miles and I think my tank is 16 gallons

actually the car your'e talking about is the Tourag and it gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, my sister-in-law bought one and they get like 10 miles to the gallon... all they have done is complain about how much gas they buy and how they didn't expect to be paying so much in gas for that car.
              Dreamgirl you VW could get as much as 28 mpg on the freeway. My previous Audi A6 had the same 2.8L V6 and I was geting that kind of mileage. My new A6 gets a little better mileage it is a bit bigger engine 3.0L V6 but it has lower gears so engine turns less RPM on the freeway and I get 30 MPG.
              When I say my new A6 it's not the newest one,newest one has the 3.2L V6 and I heard it gets even better mileage because of the FSI.
              I went to the dealership to get the newest one but,when I saw my car on the lot I couldn't pass the deal. It is an 03 A6 and it only has 15k miles on it. Plus they gave me extended warranty till 09 or 100k miles for free and the best part was the price,it was half as much of the new one. :dancingne

Comment

Bouncer and Dreamgirl, you probably don't realise how heavy the Touareg V8 is -- it has a curb weight of 5300 lbs, making it heavier than the Chevy Suburban 4x2, the Toyota Sequoia Ltd., and the Dodge Durango SXT 4x4...yet at 187.2 inches long, it's actually shorter than the Chevy Trailblazer (191.8 in), the Ford Explorer (189.5 in), and even the Nissan Murano (187.6 in). Now put a big V8 in it and the mileage isn't a surprise.

It's a GORGEOUS car/SUV, inside and out, but it's really really heavy ("big boned," I guess) and gets shockingly poor mileage

Comment

Originally posted by go Yankees
                  Bouncer and Dreamgirl, you probably don't realise how heavy the Touareg V8 is

the one my sister-in-law has is the V6... they get 10-11 miles a gallon with the V6

Comment

the one my sister-in-law has is the V6... they get 10-11 miles a gallon with the V6
                    as my brother would say, "that's inexcusable" One of them (a V6) just parallel parked in front of me at the bank. It's a deceptively thick, muscular, heavy SUV, so I guess 10-11 shouldn't surprise me, my parents got 14.3-17.4 with a V6 Acura MDX, depending on if my dad or mom drove

Comment

Working...
                    X