Question for the parents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the parents...

Around what age did you stop being so guliable? Granted toys and stuff are still cheap, but I swore I would make my kid understand his privalages. But even now when he gives me the slightest smile over something, I give in. :o

I think i probably would only have kids I don't know about!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by twizzbeats
      I would give you some bitchy comment for being a piece of shit, but more I feel sorry for you. I know it's not something you can undrstand now, but hopefully one day you will embrace this kind of happiness.

Comment

I love my son with all of my heart. However, he is about 21 months old and is learning how to push his boundaries. I am very consistent with him and he listens to me VERY well when I speak. Unfortunately, his mother is MUCH less consistent and the little guy takes FULL advantage of her at every chance he gets. Please don't be that kind of parent because it bothers me to no end. I am very tender with him and I only have to raise my voice a little bit or sometimes just give "the look" and he changes his tune quickly but he walks all over his mommy and she just can't seem to understand why.

Comment

Are you and his mom together?

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
            Are you and his mom together?
            Yeah - I just can't convince her to change her techniques and I don't want to play "good cop, bad cop" as I think that it would cause more problems than if she just learns the best way for her to discipline him. As long as she doesn't overturn things I say (and vica versa) I assume letting her find her own way will better for all of us in the long run.

Comment

Sounds good. With my wife being Polish and the way things are with the respect to parents, I think we will be good :D

Comment

I think it's a parental instinc,it just kicks in and and there is no age to it. My daughter is gonna be 5 in two weeks,and I am telling you guys I love her more than anything,and all she usually has to do is point and I'll get what evershe wants. but at the same time she knows she has to behave right.
                One short example; a week before easter we went get an easter basket...she picked the one she liked put in the basket. While we were walking around she tells me that she wante to open the basket when we get home. I said to she can't she had to wait till easter. She said no and started to throw a tentrum. I told her she has to stop or we will walk out of the store without it. She didn't and I picked her up and left store. You guys should've seen her the way she was screaming while were leaving, I think people though I was killing her or something. Any ways we got in the car and left. I told her she couldn't have the basket because she wouldn't listen. She was mad but she got the point.
                So the whole point is when you are right just be firm and stick to your guns. He'll get it. :nerdnew:

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
                  Around what age did you stop being so guliable? Granted toys and stuff are still cheap, but I swore I would make my kid understand his privalages. But even now when he gives me the slightest smile over something, I give in. :o
                  I wish I knew what to tell you Shib. My son is only 2 and I know I spoil him. At this age it is easy to do. I will not be able to later because the things he will want will get more expensive. Just enjoy it while you can Bro.

Comment

This is a hard one, but I have been in the habit of not buying things for the kids when they are with me shopping, cause then they want everything... seeing that I haven't bought them stuff lately when they are with me, they don't even really ask. I try and buy things for them when I am out alone, then it's a surprise when I come home, usually they don't even know I was at the store.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamgirl
                      This is a hard one, but I have been in the habit of not buying things for the kids when they are with me shopping, cause then they want everything... seeing that I haven't bought them stuff lately when they are with me, they don't even really ask. I try and buy things for them when I am out alone, then it's a surprise when I come home, usually they don't even know I was at the store.
                      I think this is a great idea DG. :bravonew:
                      I am gonna try it myself.

Comment

Im a more of a "as long as your good, you can have what you want within reason".My son is six, and as long as he isnt having any trouble with his behavior at school.He can have whatever his mom and I can afford.But as soon as he messes up......the gamecube,the Xbox and the PS2 are gone.Kids need motivation to do good, so reward them for good things as often as you can.Thats one problem I see with society overall,people only get attention when something goes wrong,and that the wrong message to send to a child.Give them greater attention when they do good and you will see more good deeds, its that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by twizzbeats
                          congrats, you just won yourself a "first class piece of shit" award.

Comment

I was very strict with my daughter when she was younger so now that she's a teenager things are pretty easy here. If I say something, I mean it and I will follow through. She has always asked for stuff but she never caught an attitude when I told her no. My income fluctuates so sometimes we spend more, other times we tighten our belts, she understands this well.

It's a lot easier to be strict in the early years and lay a good foundation instead of trying to change bad habbits when they get older. My mother-in-law used to say I was too strict when my daughter was little but it worked out well here and I didn't have to resort to spanking. We discuss things instead of me just telling her stuff, this way she understands the reasoning behind it which helps her make her own decisions when I'm not around. I've explained things to her from the time she was a baby instead of just saying "No!" ie. if she went to touch something that she shouldn't I'd tell her what could happen if she touched it and then I gave her something of hers that she could play with. We never went through the terrible two's because we could both communicate with one another. When she was put in a time out as soon as it was over we talked about the situation and how it could have been handled better. It takes a lot of time and patience to be a dedicated parent but for me it's the most important job I have and the most rewarding one.

Comment

Puddles the way of raising your daugther is wonderful. I am trying to be strict with our guy, but at this age he is just starting to learn basic meanings to things and actions. However, he knows already what NO means. In both, Polish and English :)

Comment

Working...
                              X