John Kenneth Galbraith Passed Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Kenneth Galbraith Passed Away

I know that this is not a topic completely relevant to the board. However, I assume that there will be a handful of people on here that appreciate Galbraith's contributions to our society.

I liked this summarization from the article...

One of his most influential books, “The Affluent Society,” was published in 1958.

It argued that the American economy was producing individual wealth but hasn’t adequately addressed public needs such as schools and highways. U.S. economists and politicians were still using the assumptions of the world of the past, where scarcity and poverty were near-universal, he said.

“The total alteration in underlying circumstances has not been squarely faced,” he wrote. “As a result, we are guided, in part, by ideas that are relevant to another world. ... We do many things that are unnecessary, some that are unwise, and a few that are insane.”

The article in its entirety....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12555495/

he's unquestionably one of the great economists there ever was. I read an article in the NYT I think that said today's economists and economics students aren't as well-versed in the ideas of older economists, and almost drop their theories, viewpoints and opinions by the wayside. I hope Galbraith's death brings some thunder back to his corner

Comment

Working...
    X