Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing: De La Hoya vs. Mayorga

Here's how I see the fight shaping up:

DLH will come in, typically, stretching out his jaw, which always makes him look nervous. Th Matador will come in, well, like a Matador. He will be brazen and will likely approach DLH prior to the introductions.

Round 1 will ring, and Mayorga will jump right in with rapid aggression. Mayorga likes to start fast and will begin by throwing awkward 1-2s, and the 1-2-left hook he likes to use. Some right hand leads may also be used. Mayorga will taunt DLH and try to get him into an undisciplined slugfest. Mayorga will land a few early shots and appear to be in control.

I expect DLH will, slightly, be fighting backwards to begin the fight. He will not be running like at the end of the Trinidad fight. He will be fighting moving backwards, with good head movement looking to counter Mayorga early.

Towards the latter part of round 1, or somewhere during round 2, DLH will start to let his hands go more. He will have adjusted to Mayorga's style and, instead of relying on counterpunching, will start initiating more. DLH will start to land straight 1-2s and an occasional inside hook. Mayorga will continue to fight wildly, landing an occasional shot, but nothing damaging.

Around round 3-4, DLH will start to take charge. Mayorga doesn't know how to fight moving backwards, and he will stand right in front of DLH and start to get outboxed badly. Due to Mayorga's style, which consists of wild, flinging shots, DLH will start to do some quality in-fighting and will land some crisp body shots.

Mayorga will look markedly tired around rounds 5-6. He will be breathing deeply from his mouth, occasionally standing in one place in the ring to rest, trying to land one big shot to change the momentum of the fight. Oscar will continue to land crisp combinations and DLH will start pushing Mayorga back slightly. The fight is now in DLH's complete control.

With Mayorga either standing right in front of him, or slightly fighting backwards, DLH will punish Mayorga with clean shots to the head and body, much like Trindad began doing. Mayorga will be game though and will continue to fling punches and occasionally lunge awkward shots in an attempt to stun DLH. DLH's superior ring generalship and defense will not be susceptible to the wildness of Mayorga, and Mayorga will begin taking a real beating around rounds 7-8.

DLH will, at some point, have to make a decision: risk tiring by taking a shot to knock out Mayorga, or continue to administer a boxing clinic. For a lot of different reasons (Mayorga's mouth; Trinidad's stoppage of Mayorga; the desire for an impressive showing), I expect DLH will be less cautious than he might otherwise be. Realizing Mayorga is tired and hurt, and DLH is the superior fighter, DLH will start with double-jabs, and 1-2s, and will look to work inside off combinations and land big power shots on Mayorga, whose defense is among the worst all-time for a quality champion.

I expect there will be a knockdown, and possibly a cut, around round 8-9, and DLH will go in for the kill.

Prediction: DLH by stoppage 8-10.

nice write-up Tin!

Comment

Great fight it was, I won 60 bucks in a pot for it (I picked round 6)

Comment

Working...
      X