Making your own home gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your own home gym

I'm thinking this is something I would like to do one day. Just think of how great it would be to simply walk into your garage (or wherever else you would like to set up your gym) and get your workout in.

So, I have a few questions.

1.) Where is the best place to buy equipment?
    2.) What equipment would YOU buy?

Here's what I'm thinking I would purchase:

Smith Machine

Cable Crossover Machine with Attachments:

Bicep Curl
    Leg Press
    Lat Pulldown
    Shoulder Press
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Seated Rows

Bench that can go from flat to straight up

Squat Rack

A Few Nice Weight Racks

Dumbells

Weights (with inner holes-I love those.....)

Stairmaster

Bike

Rubber Pads for the ground

Barbells

Different Attachments for machines (cambered bar, ropes, etc...)

What else and what price am I looking at?

For free weights, these are the companies I think that are best.

https://www.bwproducts.com/catalog/

http://www.hexplus.net/index.asp?Pag...S&Category=136

For my gym, I am going to get the free weights and handles to build dumbbells. An olympic bar weight set, and ajustable bench and a power rack. Everything you need besides the leg stuff.

Comment

I have had home gyms for years. I think the 1st thing to consider is the space you have to work in. If you put to much crap in it you will have no place to workout. My 1st recommendation would be Power blocks instead of dumbbells. They are pricy but in the end you’ll spend more money on dumbbells and the space you save is worth every penny.
      A power rack is a must for obvious reasons. I would do 1 basic adjustable flat bench with no attachments. You will use it for everything. Next I would look into a good universal with a duel wt. stack with steal wts. That will give you a 400 pound capacity. Look into something that is configured to the exercises you enjoy doing and will work into your space. Your cardio equipment is a personal choice; it’s what ever you like to do. A lot of places include a free bike of your choice with a universal or if you spend so much.
      I like Body Solid equipment personally for home equipment. It is well made and you can add to them, There modular. The only thing is when you order stuff on line especially Gym equipment its very heavy and freight truckers don’t want to touch anything and the only deliver 5 days a week. I would pick it up at the terminal if you have a pickup or request a lift gate delivery. Then of course a good Olympic set or 2 LOL and all your bars and stuff to compliment you basic equipment

Comment

This is the universal I have in my home gym

Comment

this is a great power rack. I actualy have this 1 in my gym at work. I will eventualy add the cable cross attachment to it. It is a great power Rack
          http://www.everythingfitness.com/hg-ms-90.html
          I don't think it realy matters were you buy your stuff but depending what state you buy it from the tax situation can change and allways look for the free shipping and any other deals

Comment

Hear it is with the cable cross attachment

Comment

What about the Cable Crossovers with the attachments I've listed above?

Comment

Its right there attached to the power rack. The one I have is built into my smith machine. I don't realy like a smith machine but I have it so I find uses for it

Comment

That's not what I'm talking about, I'll have to find a picture.

Comment

This is similar to what I'm talking about but with a few different attachments.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lmg2701
                      I'm thinking this is something I would like to do one day. Just think of how great it would be to simply walk into your garage (or wherever else you would like to set up your gym) and get your workout in.

So, I have a few questions.

1.) Where is the best place to buy equipment?
                      2.) What equipment would YOU buy?

Here's what I'm thinking I would purchase:

Smith Machine

Cable Crossover Machine with Attachments:

Bicep Curl
                      Leg Press
                      Lat Pulldown
                      Shoulder Press
                      Leg Extension
                      Leg Curl
                      Seated Rows

Bench that can go from flat to straight up

Squat Rack

A Few Nice Weight Racks

Dumbells

Weights (with inner holes-I love those.....)

Stairmaster

Bike

Rubber Pads for the ground

Barbells

Different Attachments for machines (cambered bar, ropes, etc...)

What else and what price am I looking at?
                      you will find the best prices on line but shippin will kill ya i found it cheeper to call a equipment shop tell them im gonna spend 20-30k hook me up and they did. what ever i buy is 20% off free delivery and set up. as far as equipment i like cybex and tuff stuff. cybex is pricy but nice and tuff stuff is just as good but cheeper depending on the series you go with. the rubber matt flooring isnt cheep either i think i spent 2k on a 2 car garage IMO it was worth it its very thick and i feel safe if i had to drop a d-bell.

Comment

i dont know how to post links so i bumped the pictures of my gym so you could see what i have.

Comment

Yea thats a gym unit, they take up a lot of space, Its a great piece though if you have the room and money

Comment

Originally posted by Lmg2701
                            This is similar to what I'm talking about but with a few different attachments.
                            That's awesome, but I can't imagine what the price is.

Comment

Well it's similar to what I want but not exact, as I said, these are the attachments I would want:

Bicep Curl
                              Leg Press
                              Lat Pulldown
                              Shoulder Press
                              Leg Extension
                              Leg Curl
                              Seated Rows

The one pictured, as you can see, just has the seated rows and lat pull down machine. I'm thinking the whole thing will be a little less than 10K but that's the bulk of what I would plan to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X