HDMI Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Question

I bought Phillips 50" HD Plasma a few months ago. It's a nice TV with the ambient light on the sides. I'm pretty happy with the TV. My video card didn't have a DVI output, so I bought a new Video card for my PC that has both VGA and DVI outputs. I ordered a cable off of Ebay that goes from DVI to HDMI. That way I can hook my computer up to my plasma and not have to burn movies to a CD to watch. HDMI is capable of carrying loads of data in both directions. If it was hooked up from a DVD player to the TV, it would transmitt both video and sound. However on my PC, I am just transmitting Video. Any suggestions on how to get the audio into my TV? I run the audio output on my computer into my surround stereo and I can have sound that way, but it's not through the TV and that bugs me. There are other audio inputs for the TV, but I don't think one for HDMI. Suggestiosn??

Knox

DVI (Digital Video Interface) can not send an audio signal. You have a HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) to DVI cable and thus it will not send any sound information. Only HDMI to HDMI will send both video and sound information. DVI is video only.

I think that is what your asking correct? If not, let me know and I will try and do a better job at answering the question. :)
    Last edited by Bouncer; 06-24-06, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Also, does your computer card have optical or Coax audio output? That way you can run the audio from your computer to your receiver.

What's confusing me is, your asking about sound from your TV when you also have a stereo receiver. Why do you want sound comming from your TV when you have a receiver and speakers to handle the sound?

Comment

Go with the optical cable. The best.

Comment

Been a while..... Bouncer.. As far as wanting the audio to run through my TV versus just having it through my stereo.. I live in a nice apartment complex with some old ladies next door. Durring the day I don't mind running the surround sound and stereo, but at night, I'll put on the headphones or just listen to the audio through the TV. I try to be considerate of others when it comes to living next to someone. My last place, I was next to some 19-21 y/o punks who left their shit cranked up til 2 or 3 am. I dealt with it for a while, but in the end, my tempor got the best of me. One night after one of their mid week parties, I was still up at 3:30 am because of their immaturity. I was beating on their door within 5 minutes, and when it came open, I don't know how I was able to put all of those words together. Two days later they put in their 30 day notice and moved out. I also talked to the owner before all of this and he said to go give them a thrashing. He said he'd back me up if they called the cops or complained and he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Knoxville
            Been a while..... Bouncer.. As far as wanting the audio to run through my TV versus just having it through my stereo.. I live in a nice apartment complex with some old ladies next door. Durring the day I don't mind running the surround sound and stereo, but at night, I'll put on the headphones or just listen to the audio through the TV. I try to be considerate of others when it comes to living next to someone. My last place, I was next to some 19-21 y/o punks who left their shit cranked up til 2 or 3 am. I dealt with it for a while, but in the end, my tempor got the best of me. One night after one of their mid week parties, I was still up at 3:30 am because of their immaturity. I was beating on their door within 5 minutes, and when it came open, I don't know how I was able to put all of those words together. Two days later they put in their 30 day notice and moved out. I also talked to the owner before all of this and he said to go give them a thrashing. He said he'd back me up if they called the cops or complained and he did.
            so what does that rant have to do with HDMI? :P j/k

Comment

Working...
            X